N64 Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Keyaku' said:
wait... I'm a little confused...
I've been reading some pages of this topic... N64 is fully playable on a PSP?
that is weird... Exophase, I know that by computing processors, the iPhone wouldn't just run emulators just well but how come PSP run N64 when iPhone can't? I mean, does the PSP have a 64-bit processor?

also, if people say N64 is possible, why wouldn't the Dreamcast be possible?

READ: I do not own a Dreamcast or N64 nor I have ever played on them, so I don't know very much about them so don't start off and saying that I'm a n00b. Unlike others, I don't say PS2 is possible on iPhone or even that the Pandora is stronger than Quads.

Thanks for understanding

PS: I don't receive any replies even though I check "Enable email notification of replies". any fix?
hi keyaku.
please, use google. You make a lot of wrong asumptions here and it would be as much work for us to give you proper information then for you to search for it yourself.
Sorry, we are no teachers in computer history here and those that think they are, are often much more unfriendly then I am ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dreamcast is more powerful that the N64. By a good amount. It's more comparable to the PS2 or the XBox.

'Keyaku' said:
That depends on what you consider "fully playable." Some games people find playable, others no one really does (of the ones that work at all).

'Keyaku' said:
that is weird... Exophase, I know that by computing processors, the iPhone wouldn't just run emulators just well but how come PSP run N64 when iPhone can't? I mean, does the PSP have a 64-bit processor?
PSP doesn't have a 64bit CPU.

Maybe iPhone COULD emulate N64 as well or better than PSP, or maybe not. iPhone does have a full speed FPU, but it does not have a directly programmable vector FPU (with the HLE approach in N64 emulation it might not make a difference). But it'd require someone writing an OpenGL ES 1.1, ARM recompiling N64 emulator, which no one has yet. The only person I know of who would possibly be interested in trying such a thing is zodttd, and he probably has much better things to do now. Judging by the performance of psx4iphone, I doubt he has much faith that he can get an N64 emulator running very well.

'Keyaku' said:
Why would it be possible? Dreamcast is much more powerful than N64 and the same HLE techniques that make N64 emulation much cheaper than it should be don't apply to it. The bar for Dreamcast emulation on PCs has always been much higher than that for N64 emulation.

'Butterman' said:
N64 was hardly fully playable on the PSP. Daedalus could only really run some shitty Mario game at above 10 FPS.
Well I thought Daedalus was amazing for what it did on the DC. Of course I wouldn't consider that playable, but it was certainly impressive when you think about it.

'Butterman' said:
N64 was hardly fully playable on the PSP. Daedalus could only really run some shitty Mario game at above 10 FPS.
Speak not of which you know naught about. I've been having a great time playing Mario 64 on my PSP using the latest DaedalusX64 alpha. It runs a steady 30 fps when there aren't a zillion bad guys around and even then runs at a tolerable speed. As for your slight on Mario 64, you clearly have no idea how many people love and still play that great game. Your avatar reflects your state of optimism.

Mario 64 is great except the controls are a little awkward and the camera never lines up the way I want it to.
But as a game, it's excellent.

I thought I was the only one who hated Mario 64. Well, I also hate the 3D zelda games... so I guess theres a pattern there.

I thought Conker's Bad Fur Day was pretty squared away. That game had me hooked from start to finish. I'd like to see a N64 emu just to play that game. I didn't think the Zelda 64 games were bad, just kinda goofy at times. But then again, so was Conker.

'Keyaku' said:

READ: I do not own a Dreamcast or N64 nor I have ever played on them, so I don't know very much about them so don't start off and saying that I'm a n00b. Unlike others, I don't say PS2 is possible on iPhone or even that the Pandora is stronger than Quads.

Thanks for understanding

PS: I don't receive any replies even though I check "Enable email notification of replies". any fix?
I don't know where you get this assumption that N64 is fully playable on the PSP, we are simply commenting that the PSP's emulator is better optimized for a handheld than the PC's emulators.

Also, the reason Dreamcast isn't possible is because like many have said, it is much more powerful than the N64.

'Butterman' said:
Mario 64 was a good game. I don't see what you have against it.

-God Ginrai

What's this sudden negativity on DC? CODE
http://www.emudev.org/drkIIRaziel/blog/
You must not have forgotten this, and that the PSP build gets ~2fps in-game (pretty bugged though). I hold out hope that a few games will be playable.

'fischju2000' said:
You must not have forgotten this, and that the PSP build gets ~2fps in-game (pretty bugged though). I hold out hope that a few games will be playable.

But...the Pandora is, what, three or four times more powerful than the PSP? Of course we have the DSP too, but I have no idea whether that will help at all. And is the GPU even that much better? It will certainly be faster on the PSP, but I think you need a minimum of 15-20 FPS or so to be playable even in games where low framerates are acceptable. I doubt the Pandora is eight to ten times more powerful than the PSP.

Of course, I do not know anything about the DC and little about emulation, so I could be wrong. Still, it seems very premature at the very least to be talking about playable DC emulation.

'Tom`' said:
'fischju2000' said:

But...the Pandora is, what, three or four times more powerful than the PSP? Of course we have the DSP too, but I have no idea whether that will help at all. And is the GPU even that much better? It will certainly be faster on the PSP, but I think you need a minimum of 15-20 FPS or so to be playable even in games where low framerates are acceptable. I doubt the Pandora is eight to ten times more powerful than the PSP.

Of course, I do not know anything about the DC and little about emulation, so I could be wrong. Still, it seems very premature at the very least to be talking about playable DC emulation.

The GPU in the Pandora is a direct descendent of the one in the Dreamcast, as far as I know, many GPU-related things should be able to be passed directly to the hardware without emulation. That could allow for a significant boost in speed. Then all that needs to be emulated are lesser things like the SPU and CPU, which are both relatively easy to emulate in comparison.

'CyruzDraxs' said:
The GPU in the Pandora is a direct descendent of the one in the Dreamcast, as far as I know, many GPU-related things should be able to be passed directly to the hardware without emulation. That could allow for a significant boost in speed. Then all that needs to be emulated are lesser things like the SPU and CPU, which are both relatively easy to emulate in comparison.
Evidence? I know there are features present in the Dreamcast PowerVR GPU that the Pandora GPU does not have. Also, the architectues are quite different. As far as I know the SH4 CPU is far from trivial to emulate in itself, too. So, not that easy.

'Tom`' said:
'CyruzDraxs' said:
Evidence? I know there are features present in the Dreamcast PowerVR GPU that the Pandora GPU does not have. Also, the architectues are quite different. As far as I know the SH4 CPU is far from trivial to emulate in itself, too. So, not that easy.

There was alot of 'relatively' intended in what I was saying. The SH4 is certainly complex to emulate, but the GPU comparatively is much more difficult. A certain amount of the GPU features could be used directly, however I think it would all have to be atleast interpreted first. I'm no expert on emulators, but the Pandora does certainly have a few advantages in DC emulation. I'd think it'd be a bit better than 4 times more powerful than the PSP for this, but not by all that much.

I expect DC emulation will be to Pandora what N64 emulation is to PSP--playable, but only just barely and only for a few games.

'fischju2000' said:
No. The PSP build gets ~2fps on the Dreamcast menu. That is FAR from ingame. Not to mention, it's still emulating an underclocked Dreamcast.

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
No. The PSP build gets ~2fps on the Dreamcast menu. That is FAR from ingame. Not to mention, it's still emulating an underclocked Dreamcast.
According to him, there is no dynarec, optimizations or anything, so there should be a big speed increase once he starts optimizing.

Eternalodyssey said:
I thought Conker's Bad Fur Day was pretty squared away. That game had me hooked from start to finish. I'd like to see a N64 emu just to play that game. I didn't think the Zelda 64 games were bad, just kinda goofy at times. But then again, so was Conker.
Heh... I'd have to say that I'd not mind being able to play that game in a mobile manner. My N64 is still hooked up for it and a couple of other games on my HD setup. ;)

arrrgh said:
'God Ginrai' said:
According to him, there is no dynarec, optimizations or anything, so there should be a big speed increase once he starts optimizing.

Which is why I've held that a DC emu wasn't impossible, but it was more a theoretical possibility. Emulating the SH4 nicely on the ARM will be less painful than on X86, but it will still be the sticking point. Dynarec might buy you what you need, and it may not. I couldn't venture a guess either way.

Let's just say that it's going to be a possible POC emu and let someone try- and then worry about the ones we KNOW will happen along with all the cool ports that're going to come our way, hm? :D

'Svartalf' said:
Let's just say that it's going to be a possible POC emu and let someone try- and then worry about the ones we KNOW will happen along with all the cool ports that're going to come our way, hm? :D
Well here's how I see it. We already have someone who said he will try. I see that as great, and I look forward to what progress he's going to be making. However, I'm sick and tired of people continuously bring up the topic of whether it is possible or not when someone already said they would handle it. Let's let them find it out for us, seeing as how we're not likely to get two devs who are willing to take on such an unlikely task.

-God Ginrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back