N64 Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If MAME was for preservation, why not just code it and license it out to copyright holders of the games and engines?

the point of all emulators is to play games on. if you're doing it to not lose timeless classics, the games are obviously still meant to be played.

do nintendos releases on the wii offer savestates? do they offer my choice of graphical enhancement? online play? a controller that doesnt suck / cost over 100 dollars? can take with me on my laptop?

StrmnNrmn posted this news at the end of November about his Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP:

No, I didn't choke on a mince pie

I'm sorry for the lack of updates, both to the blog and to Daedalus. I've been working on Daedalus for about 10 years now, and those that have followed the project from the beginning will know that I have fairly regular periods of 'radio silence' followed by bursts of activity. I have lot of inertia, so once my interest shifts elsewhere it can take a long time to get me back on track. That's just the way I am.

This time around it's because I've been really busy with work. I don't want to go into specifics, but for the past couple of years I've been working on a high profile game, and since January most of my energy has gone into helping to get it finished.

I am unbelievably out of touch with the PSP scene. Recently, Kreationz got in touch to tell me about the progress that has been made with DaedalusX64. I was really pleased to hear that the project was being actively updated, particularly because I have a lot of respect for the people involved. The whole reason for making Daedalus open source was to give people the opportunity to learn from the source code and update it as needed, so it's great for this to be happening.

I can't guarantee that I'll have the time to actively help with DaedalusX64, or even that I'll be able to regularly update this blog. I thought it would be a good idea to give my public backing to DaedalusX64 so that the team can get on with rolling out updates. I probably won't be making a PSP release of Daedalus any time soon.

For what it's worth, I'm currently working on a new port of Daedalus. I'm going to keep the target platform secret for now, but I think it's very exciting. At the very least it means that I'm working on Daedalus again - I'm hoping to keep merging changes from DaedalusX64 back into the Daedalus source, and hopefully provide DaedalusX64 with one or two fixes of my own.

If this isn't too dated, it's either iPhone or Pandora, and why anyone would port n64 to a system that puts the buttons over top of the screen is beyond me.

midna25 said:
StrmnNrmn posted this news at the end of November about his Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP:

I'm sorry for the lack of updates, both to the blog and to Daedalus. I've been working on Daedalus for about 10 years now, and those that have followed the project from the beginning will know that I have fairly regular periods of 'radio silence' followed by bursts of activity. I have lot of inertia, so once my interest shifts elsewhere it can take a long time to get me back on track. That's just the way I am.

This time around it's because I've been really busy with work. I don't want to go into specifics, but for the past couple of years I've been working on a high profile game, and since January most of my energy has gone into helping to get it finished.

I am unbelievably out of touch with the PSP scene. Recently, Kreationz got in touch to tell me about the progress that has been made with DaedalusX64. I was really pleased to hear that the project was being actively updated, particularly because I have a lot of respect for the people involved. The whole reason for making Daedalus open source was to give people the opportunity to learn from the source code and update it as needed, so it's great for this to be happening.

I can't guarantee that I'll have the time to actively help with DaedalusX64, or even that I'll be able to regularly update this blog. I thought it would be a good idea to give my public backing to DaedalusX64 so that the team can get on with rolling out updates. I probably won't be making a PSP release of Daedalus any time soon.

For what it's worth, I'm currently working on a new port of Daedalus. I'm going to keep the target platform secret for now, but I think it's very exciting. At the very least it means that I'm working on Daedalus again - I'm hoping to keep merging changes from DaedalusX64 back into the Daedalus source, and hopefully provide DaedalusX64 with one or two fixes of my own.
If this isn't to dated, it's either iPhone or Pandora, and why anyone would port n64 to a system that puts the buttons over top of the screen is beyond me.

That's what Gruso was talking about. I'm hoping it's for Pandora, but we can only hope atm. But that's what the Pandora's all about, isn't it? Hope.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
midna25 said:

If this isn't to dated, it's either iPhone or Pandora, and why anyone would port n64 to a system that puts the buttons over top of the screen is beyond me.

That's what Gruso was talking about. I'm hoping it's for Pandora, but we can only hope atm. But that's what the Pandora's all about, isn't it? Hope.

-God Ginrai

Personally I thought it was about games and stuff. But hope is pretty good too.

God Ginrai said:

I believe it was also about change. Wouldn't it be really, really, sad if it does end up being the iPhone/Touch? If anyone actually thinks that would work, please refer to the God Of War game for it (I'll give you a hint: it sucks).

Just to be clear, I don't harbor any negative feelings about any N64 emulation projects (I see nothing to be gained from splitting into factions), but I would want it to aim at providing the best experience possible. This often requires many hours of painstaking efforts. I wish I had something to show at this time, a silver bullet to slay any doubts, concerning my thoughts on what I believe to be possible, but unfortunately I do not. Even if there is little evidence to suggest success, I'm still going to try, but don't expect any immediate offerings (with the exception of sharing any information I might have).

Username said:
God Ginrai said:

I believe it was also about change. Wouldn't it be really, really, sad if it does end up being the iPhone/Touch? If anyone actually thinks that would work, please refer to the God Of War game for it (I'll give you a hint: it sucks).
I actually really enjoyed Hero of Sparta. It's probably the best game for the iphone, which isn't saying much but it was enjoyable.

There is about 4 actual good games for the iphone. Super Monkey Ball (the newest update) actually controls well for the phone. Field Runners is a fun TD game and just got updated yesterday. Sim City is okay. And Hero of Sparta.

The controls are okay. Sometimes when too much stuff is on screen controls just stop working but it doesn't happen often. I am actually rather impressed with how far they were able to push the iphone with virtual analog and controls.

Having said that, MOST implrementations of virtual controls on the touch screen are stupid. Some developers expect the users fingers to be transparent. HoS actually has all the action directly in the center of the screen. It's not perfect, but it is by far the best implementation I've seen of it.

edit: Thanks for the update Happy. I hope one day I might be able to see the result of your craftsmenship/

mame aiming for accurate emulation is easy, many of the games are based off the same boards, the same slow very-known processors used over and over again.

the only big project I can remember that does indeed aim for the accuracy and does it perfectly is bsnes.
nice thing the project actually helped others like snes9x and zsnes. I remember the 2 first images from yu yu hakusho tokubetuhen (sp?) were correct at least :p

I'm 100% with exophase here. the target device matters, that's why the pandora is already going to be pretty good with HLE.
a working daedalus port continued by optimizations would already make most people happy to play all the games we are already able to play with daedalus.

strmnnrmn has already given some tips about the pandora, it would be great to see him aboard. not that no other person could make a daedalus port and optimize it, but it's nice to have someone that nice and hard working here. while other smart people could get into other interesting projects...

arm is backwards compatible, right? do I smell some PanDS à la GP Advance? :wub:

Username said:
Wouldn't it be really, really, sad if it does end up being the iPhone/Touch?
Incredibly. I can understand bringing older, simpler systems to the iPhone. Even PSX. But N64 on that platform would just be insulting. Not even the iControl pad would help.

Bloody iEverything, grumble grumble.

midna25 said:

If this isn't too dated, it's either iPhone or Pandora, and why anyone would port n64 to a system that puts the buttons over top of the screen is beyond me.

Well, for him to be 'currently working' on a port he must have a Pandora dev board of some sort already. Does he? If not, it's probably the iPhone :(

We could hope it's a BeagleBoard at least.

GoodLawd said:
midna25 said:

Well, for him to be 'currently working' on a port he must have a Pandora dev board of some sort already.

I knew plenty of GP2X devs that coded when they didn't have the device yet.

-God Ginrai

yeah but you realise an arm port is an arm port(from the dynarec mips-> arm standpoint).... it would be a small jump to get it at least running on the pandora from there

Last time StrmnNrmn's post was brought up I believe most people agreed that a port for a next gen console was more likely than the Pandora. Of course, just because a bunch of people thought it then doesn't make that actually true.

Exophase said:
CyruzDraxs said:
I think the MESS team working with devices like the Pandora would make sense in terms of preservation. I mean, it's an ARM-based linux system--those aren't exactly uncommon, and I don't see them disappearing any time soon.

x86, on the other hand...well...it's a dead horse that's been beaten so much you can hardly tell it was a horse once. It's power-hungry and has already reached to GHz wall, so all they can do now is add more cores or make a better architecture.

I think over the next few years ARM is going to take over the netbook market, edge it's way into the full-size laptop market and might even reach a performance point where it can atleast be a viable competitor to desktop x86 processors.
I think you'll find that there's very little that has to be platform specific in an emulator, unless you need to push it to run well. You can do a quite portable N64 emulator, but one that runs on Wiz would never be.

Of course, expecting ARM to displace x86 in desktops or even laptops is kind of a pipe dream.

I don't think ARM will replace anything, but it seems to me like the market is gravitating more toward lower power than higher performance and I think because of that ARM will open up many new markets. I imagine something similar to the NVidia Ion might come from ARM in the next several years. ARM certainly has an edge in battery life, and the advantages of a newer, faster computers are becoming less and less apparent to the general population...so I think as ARM starts to approach the 2GHz region it will start to become far more mainstream in netbooks and laptops. Unless Intel comes up with something better than the Atom soon, ARM has a large window of opportunity to get their chips into the netbook market.

I know we are going off topic a bit but we are going to see several ARM netbooks and laptops this year and it's the battery life which will help them sell.

It will be 4-5 years before we see serious ARM desktops again.

So as we're offtopic, Intel is already readying SoC versions using its Atom. That will certainly increase battery life too.

As far as nVidia ION platform is concerned, they will probably be pushing more ARM into the netbook territory. After all they already have Tegra 600 which can do full HD ;)

Laurent said:
So as we're offtopic, Intel is already readying SoC versions using its Atom. That will certainly increase battery life too.
SoCs based on the current Atom core will do more for shrinking the size of devices than shrinking their power requirements. The next gen cores (due in about a year) are supposed to cut power consumption in half, which might actually make pocketable x86 devices practical. They're still looking to use 2-3 times the power of an ARM Cortex processor, but at least they're getting in the same ballpark.

OK, if you do decide to do to do this some how it would have to be of mugen64k. Its an online n64 emulator. which would work on nicely since someone is hacking Ocarina of time to four sword style multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back