N64 Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ninjamonkey said:
OK, if you do decide to do to do this some how it would have to be of mugen64k. Its an online n64 emulator. which would work on nicely since someone is hacking Ocarina of time to four sword style multiplayer.
Umm... no it wouldn't have to be. In fact, it would have to NOT be. First of all, you're thinking muPen. Second, kaillera died. And finally, mupen would be too slow to port. It would be easier to port Daedalus and add online support to that then it would to port mupen and make it faster than Daedalus.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
HackModford said:
I don't care :lol: JUST GIVE ME N64 :D
I feel the same way. Just don't try to pressure the devs or you might drive them away.

-God Ginrai

As far as I know kaillera is a middleware client that allows you to play mupen (an n64 emulator) and other emulators online. Apparently it was back up again in 01/2009

I for one, would be willing to fork out $50 USD to the development fund, as I would really like to see this system emulated. I agree with what was mentioned earlier, that a competition-like system could be used with the proceeds going to whomever produces a working N64 emulator capable of running a specific set of games preselected by judges well versed in coding. And yes this definitely does not include me! I would suggest a Paypal fund could be set up by one of the lead developers of the Pandora or someone everyone would trust to hold the account, so that it would remain in "more trustworthy" hands and they in turn could report how much is currently at stake in the "N64 developer fund." Watching a prize grow might be significant incentive to produce results sooner. Since the Pandora does not release for at least another couple months, this would give quite a bit of time for the fund to grow substantially. I doubt it would take very much money to create a substantial incentive. Just a thought.

Eternalodyssey said:
I for one, would be willing to fork out $50 USD to the development fund, as I would really like to see this system emulated. I agree with what was mentioned earlier, that a competition-like system could be used with the proceeds going to whomever produces a working N64 emulator capable of running a specific set of games preselected by judges well versed in coding. And yes this definitely does not include me! I would suggest a Paypal fund could be set up by one of the lead developers of the Pandora or someone everyone would trust to hold the account, so that it would remain in "more trustworthy" hands and they in turn could report how much is currently at stake in the "N64 developer fund." Watching a prize grow might be significant incentive to produce results sooner. Since the Pandora does not release for at least another couple months, this would give quite a bit of time for the fund to grow substantially. I doubt it would take very much money to create a substantial incentive. Just a thought.
One of the problems I see with this method is, there would be multiple coders each working on closed source projects, some further then others with each one struggling to reach the target. It's a double-edged sword in productivity. Because instead of people going solo, they could be working together on one greater project. This way not only will make an emulator be produced faster if worked in a team, any emulators that aren't quite as good as the best one wouldn't be seen as a waste of effort.

Of course there could be small teams of people going at it, but it wouldn't be much different to people going solo.

I think the most productive way is all the people that code/contribute to an open source emulator get a share of the fund :)

True, you bring up a very valid point. Could we perhaps garner interest in a N64 specific developer fund? It pays to have money on hand to support the coffee/donuts/Jolt Cola needs of developers. I'm prepared to make the first contribution. Do we yet have a project leader? Or is this still in the concept phase? I have contributed to developer fund already but I would like to contribute some to a project-specific fund (obviously this one). Either way, I hunger for an N64 Emulator!

scottm said:
As far as I know kaillera is a middleware client that allows you to play mupen (an n64 emulator) and other emulators online. Apparently it was back up again in 01/2009
I never even knew it was down. less than a week ago, I was playing river city ransom online.

You guys do know this is possible, right? The PSP has an emulator ofthe n64. This being more powerful that the PSP, makes porting the PSP n64emu to this a more realistic vision.

Edit: If that doesn't work then can anyone think of another idea?

Oooo I got one, use MDaves kurok game engine, and make a port of Goldeneye 007 for the pandora. ONly thing, would be you have to include a decent amount of multiplay levels like add some of the ones that people have made recently. Like the citadel, and those other coll ones the goldeneye hacking community has come up with; but also, include the ones originally availble.

Dude, read a single page of the thread... every page nearly mentions the PSP n64 emulator.

PoisonedV said:
Dude, read a single page of the thread... every page nearly mentions the PSP n64 emulator.
Yeah, every page nearly mentions it but sadly, none of them manage it. :p

Eternalodyssey said:
True, you bring up a very valid point. Could we perhaps garner interest in a N64 specific developer fund? It pays to have money on hand to support the coffee/donuts/Jolt Cola needs of developers. I'm prepared to make the first contribution. Do we yet have a project leader? Or is this still in the concept phase? I have contributed to developer fund already but I would like to contribute some to a project-specific fund (obviously this one). Either way, I hunger for an N64 Emulator!

Yep n64 emulation would "make" the pandora for me - it's probably my favourite retro console. I would happily contribute £10 towards the fund - I'm sure there will be quite a few people that would be willing to contribute.

N64 emulator would be awesome, I think we'll have a better idea if anyone is interested in doing it 3-4 months down the line.

I wouldn't expect Zodttd to even think about doing, He's done so much on psx4pandora already.

joa said:
N64 emulator would be awesome, I think we'll have a better idea if anyone is interested in doing it 3-4 months down the line.

I wouldn't expect Zodttd to even think about doing, He's done so much on psx4pandora already.
He did think about it. He's just too busy with psx4pandora and his iphone stuff right now. Give him some time and he might find the time to start working on a port.

-God Ginrai

Wait some of you think the wii as a n4 emu? We have talked about this at gbatemp.net. While all the orther systems have an emu for each system (ninteno, sega g ect), each and every single game for the n64 on the wii has there own small costume emu.

craigix said:
I know we are going off topic a bit but we are going to see several ARM netbooks and laptops this year and it's the battery life which will help them sell.

It will be 4-5 years before we see serious ARM desktops again.
This made me wonder: Can we have an Archimedes RISC OS emulator on the Pandora?

God Ginrai said:
He did think about it. He's just too busy with psx4pandora and his iphone stuff right now. Give him some time and he might find the time to start working on a port.

-God Ginrai
Is most (if not all) of the work not finished on psx4pandora - I thought it was fully working already? Although, I know from experience you usually need a break from coding the same sort of thing after finishing a large project.

Karel Jansens said:
craigix said:
I know we are going off topic a bit but we are going to see several ARM netbooks and laptops this year and it's the battery life which will help them sell.

It will be 4-5 years before we see serious ARM desktops again.
This made me wonder: Can we have an Archimedes RISC OS emulator on the Pandora?

I may be misunderstanding somewhere, but I hope so - and I took heart that the existing GP2X Archimedes emulator:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,1307

suggested that I just might be lucky :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back