Nand Full

Bonbon-Chan

Still Fresh
Thunar caches thumails on the NAND...
Thunar puts trash can on the NAND...
Default web brower caches on the NAND...
Chromium caches on the NAND (while it is a PND file)...
PND system caches icons on the NAND...
Emails store on the NAND...
Settings store on the NAND...

Without several software like xMame that write on the NAND...
And without speaking of all the system files (lock files, log files, ...)

And, of course, I end up crawing the opkg data base while toying with package.

To my point of view, the pandora system is a real mess right now... A lot of software should be remove from the system and provide has PND file. We should have an option to create an system SD card to remove all write on the NAND. And a lot of library should be remove from the NAND : so mush theme, so much perl library (why is it installed ?), so much module (the bare minimum should be installed).

I think the simpliest solution is to reinstall the system ?
I hope that instructions on the open-pandora web site is working.

Note that /tmp is a ram filesystem, so, if anything, you'll run out of ram, although it is limited to 128 mb I think.
As for the rest that fall out of the tmp, keep in mind that any built in program (like thunar, claws mail, midori, the messenger and the like) that don't have the pnd treatment, where everything is stored on the sd card, will store stuff in their usual places.
I think opkg update is the exception, as it too uses /tmp.

The only exception is Chromium, that is is kinda a work in progress. It caches things on the nand and the https doesn't work either.

But... I've never run out of space. What did you put in there? Be carefult that opkg installs stuff to the nand, and you will run out of space quickly. If it is due to the trash folder, I think you can create a symbolic link to /dev/null and be done with it.

Finally, I've remembered of the Extend Utils that can create a loopback file so you can mount it on your home folder, or any other folder and write to that file stored in a sd card (for example). Sorry for the vague description, but it is a good way to extend your storage space with low hassles.
You can even automount them using /etc/fstab, but becareful of removing the card then.

Yes, the OS is kinda of a mess and could use some trimming (I think the Ubuntu Netbook Launcher is even there) but for now, it works. The updates right now are fixes of the os and probably, once everything works more or less right, a more proper os update will be released with many of these annoyances fixed.

Thanks Blue Ion but...

DON'T REINSTALL THE OS !!! IT DOESN'T WORK !

I'm with a none working pandora now... :(

I mad a post with a problem to set the date in the bug tracker. It disappeared. I see another post appear about it... it disappeared too. Well the bug is also in the wizard to set up the pandora. I'm stuck in the first boot.

What the point to setup a bug tracker to see thing disappear ? Did they even try to reinstall a device...

Bonbon-Chan said:
Well the bug is also in the wizard to set up the pandora. I'm stuck in the first boot.
Try reflashing with the new firmware which has the Date/Time-dialog bug fixed:

EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:
The only thing left is to wait until a HF4 image is available with the fix built into it, I think.

It is available on http://openpandora.org/firmware

Latest image from yesterday, works fine :)

There is some instructions in the pandora-flashkit-zipfile, if you need any help how to properly do it, let me know.

You need to flash the kernel and the image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, that is a known bug that I forgot to mention (sorry) that manifests itself only August and is already fixed in the next release (that is why your bug gets closed).
This thread may help you with solutions in the meantime.

Perhaps the easiest is to just install an older image and then update, but I don't know where to download an older image...

Edit: Mmmm, now I know what feels being :ph34r:'ed

Bonbon-Chan said:
I mad a post with a problem to set the date in the bug tracker. It disappeared. I see another post appear about it... it disappeared too.
No such posts have been removed. They've probably dropped to the second or third page of this section, that's all. ;)

EDIT: Whoops. I'm not sure how I misread "bug tracker" as "forum". I must be having a dense-day or something. :p Please pardon me!

I highly suggest you install a system to SD card and use that as your primary OS. That way you can stop worrying about things like this.

I do think though things like Email clients, which have the potential to store massive amounts of data, should be removed from the NAND and put into a PND. Perhaps the built-in browsers could have cache turned off by default? Though maybe not until WiFi issues get resolved! And, yes, Thunar needs to get sorted.

^ Good tips. :) I was searching for info on freeing up NAND space the other day and didn't find any. I think we need to put together a little guide or something.

Alerino said:
sudo opkg remove arora --force-depends

This will break PND documentation.

fwiw, can config to change which browser is used for the pnd-documentation, so if you nuke arora you can use another.

Likewise, the pnd icon cache can be moved using the /etc/pandora/conf/desktop conf; in hf4, we've changed it to /tmp/iconcache (instead of just /tmp) to avoid cluttering /tmp per se; you could change it to /media/FOOBY/iconcache (say) to move it to SD, but thats sort of risky and may confuse things nicelly as icons vanish when you eject, but if you rarely eject, its certainly an option. I tried to make most of the libpnd and related stuff way over-configurable :) Nothing is hardcoded..

jeff

Hmm. Just filled the NAND (oops) doing an opkg udpate and installing gtk+. After I got the 'out of space' error message I couldn't do anything but force a reboot. Now I can't get past the login screen.

Hm, that's because OPKG saves the whole package list to the NAND, and it's huge.

opkg is not officially supported by us yet, guess we need to look into that issue before enabling the support...

Hm, that's because OPKG saves the whole package list to the NAND, and it's huge.

This might change once we start pruning the OS and removing stuff that we inherited from Angstrom .. or, in other words, once we switch over to using our own feed instead of the default Angstrom feed. The Pandora-feed can be pruned a great, great deal ..

torpor said:

This might change once we start pruning the OS and removing stuff that we inherited from Angstrom .. or, in other words, once we switch over to using our own feed instead of the default Angstrom feed. The Pandora-feed can be pruned a great, great deal ..

True, Angström has a big feed.

Though, yeah, some stuff like Abiword could be removed and packaged as PND.
Maybe disable caching for Clawsmail, etc. will also help.

BTW: Any news about the restrictive feed, torpor? :)

Last edited:
Bonbon-Chan said:
I mad a post with a problem to set the date in the bug tracker. It disappeared. I see another post appear about it... it disappeared too. Well the bug is also in the wizard to set up the pandora. I'm stuck in the first boot.

What the point to setup a bug tracker to see thing disappear ? Did they even try to reinstall a device...
It's a well known bug that has not only been reported but fixed in Hot Fix 4. Your bug reports were probably being deleted because they're duplicates of this pending fixed bug. You should have been informed by email that your bugs were being deleted, and the reason for it (assuming the administrator entered the correct reason). This is going to sound funny, but you should probably file a bug report about the bug report tool saying that it didn't send you an email when your ticket was deleted.

BTW: Any news about the restrictive feed, torpor? :)

Alas, no. I have been a bit lazy about it, mostly because its really a boring problem and my Pandora-hacking-time is precious, so I spend it on fun things. But okay. I know where you're coming from. We should work out how to get restricted codecs and so on, packaged for the new feed .. ;)

Hmm how much of the NAND should be free for HF3 to HF4 maybe for the next HF's include something that checks that this is not going to happen. It's not so nice to have to do a reflash just because you did an HF update.

Perhaps I should start trying to stabilise my ExtendUtils stuff - at least for overlays and such things.. installing dev headers and libraries can eat up space like sweeties, and some libraries are utterly gigantic *cough* GTK *cough* ... sorry about that again, Gruso! *hides*

That and we probably need to do another pass over the current firmware to see how much cruft has accumulated due to dependency hell.
I imagine some "light" apps have pulled in some huge library overhead, where a "heavier" app might have less dependencies, and ironically, take up less space.

But I should keep quiet, else I'll inadvertently volunteer for such missions ;)

Back