Nand Issues

Lineus

Website
gfo.owns.it
Hey all, got my :gp2x for x-mas, and everything works great...

Except the NAND.

Firstly, I noticed that the only bult in apps that recognize the NAND are the Game selector and USB connection.

Then I connected the NAND to my pc (windoze XP) and tried deleting the preloaded stuff...

All deleted fine except the Payback Demo, which was tagged as Read Only and windise reported as corrupted.

I tried the demo, and noticed that I had no music and all the textures were black.

Also the value pack didn't include Supertux, but I just got that from the archive.

So I did the USB Networking thing, unable to delete the directory through telnet, and also through the samba server - reported as corrupted/read only.

Now, it's not a big deal, everything else works fine, and I don't want to reflash my firmware (until Open2x is released), but I would like to know if there is anything else that I could try.

Any help?

Also, just noticed the "format NAND" option in the SYSTEM menu... is this safe?

Lineus said:
Also, just noticed the "format NAND" option in the SYSTEM menu... is this safe?
I believe that this will format only the user/non-firmware portion of the NAND. However, I would advise against doing it. There are some issues with GPH's NAND driver, it basically marks good memory as bad, and it just shrinks and shrinks...leading to a super-bricking of sorts.

Plus it sounds like you actually have problems with yours, if not with the firmware installation, then with the actual nand. But you say you just got your GP2X, and it sounds like an F100* so...perhaps you bought it off someone? If so, at first glance it's most likely that they botched a firmware upgrade.

If your GP2X boots fine, then my advice is to let sleeping dogs lie. Get an SD card if you don't have one already, and use that for everything. I don't know what the status of Open2X is, but if you hold off on that to do a firmware flash, then even if it fails you at least won't have bricked it the same week you got it :D

Despite how I am describing things, normally the FW upgrade isn't that dangerous. But you need to take extra precaution since it would appear you've got some issues. Although maybe you should try a different USB cord, especially if you know the one you got to be the one GPH packed in, since people have had problems with those (when it rains ;D)

*edit: just noticed you said MK2 (so yeah F100) in the title, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it was new from gp2xstore.com.

For the cable, i used one that I knew was working from my Zen.

And I don't really mind, just wondering if there was anything I could do.

EDIT: Update - unable to delete from Enexfi - "File was impossible to be deleted" or some translation thereof. But at least I can explore the NAND now!

Any other advice?

Back