ncurses Personal Information Manager (PIM) for Pandora

While I DO like 80's feel in GAMES...I do NOT like it for Office-type applications.

The buttons might make it look a little better.

I'd like to see how the contacts list looks and how easy it is to add/delete contacts.

Seriously, there's potential for me here, but not till the look radically improves...I am sorry to say, because I know this must have been a lot of work...but I really don't like the look on this...it's just too rough.

I just have to be honest...the planner...and the front screen where you pick what you want...just looks awful rough.  It doesn't have that neat, sleek look.  Like qOrganizer does.

I'd like a blackbook that looked like QOrganizer, nice, neat sleek.
Definitely has a retro vibe, 80's look to it.....kinda cool in a geeky sort of way....

:)
I will change the colors so it will look nicer, and add different views for the main menu (press of 'v', it has already 3: 1:numbers; 2:text; 3:blank). 

Any ideas welcome. 

You know, the problem is that console apps are usually old fashion. Most users prefer to use X11. 

Me, I like, it allows me to use them over ssh and it is furthermore very fast. For me for an office application the best of the best is called : VIM and pdflatex. Isn't it the very best? :) vim vs winword.exe ;) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to seeing updates, with changes I suggested implemented.

It certainly looks like it could be a very useful app, I just, as I said...do not like the current look.

Maybe it's me, but, there it is.  If there was a choice, one you could set by default...terrific.

Like I said, I like retro-80's GAMES, but not apps that look retro-80's.  But some folks may well like the current look, and they should be able to have that look, if that is what they like and want.  Certainly you should not change the whole program on my account, but, as I said, a choice that can be default-set by the user would be really good.

It could certainly make a difference in whether or not I use the app, anyway.

It certainly looks like it could be a very useful app, I just, as I said...do not like the current look.

Maybe it's me, but, there it is.  If there was a choice, one you could set by default...terrific.

Like I said, I like retro-80's GAMES, but not apps that look retro-80's.  But some folks may well like the current look, and they should be able to have that look, if that is what they like and want.  Certainly you should not change the whole program on my account, but, as I said, a choice that can be default-set by the user would be really good.

Agree with your points....and it would be great if you could switch between '80's Retro Mode and Modern Look Mode.....

;)

Maybe it's me, but, there it is. If there was a choice, one you could set by default...terrific.

Like I said, I like retro-80's GAMES, but not apps that look retro-80's. But some folks may well like the current look, and they should be able to have that look, if that is what they like and want. Certainly you should not change the whole program on my account, but, as I said, a choice that can be default-set by the user would be really good.

Hi Guys,

Your feedbacks are indeed extremely valuable.

I aim to fullfill demands in terms of use and look. The more the users ask, the better becomes the software.

Furthermore it is definitely a new type of swiss knife manager of all possible data. We are in the information century, and this software does it well. One has tons of shortcuts and functionalities. It is certainly much faster than any x11 app. Have you seen the News/Rss menu? - It is full of interesting information fetchers/handler. 

The major drawback is the look. With ncurses, one has more difficulties, but it still has some other advantages.

My 'v' (and 'V' for back) key allows the user to select the wished/prefered view. That's the major thing, which allows lot of possibilities. The ncurses advantage is that it is really easy to create a new mode, function, ...

So let's do it like that. I will propose you several new views (not today, I need bit of time), and you might advice me what would you like, which one you might prefer, ... any dreams might come true ;)

Patrick, I am very glad you are taking my suggestions and attempting to implement tham...and not being insulted by them.

Like I said, it looks a very functional and useful program, but, the look...well, you are now working on it, and I wait eagerly for the results!

Thank you very much for your continued work on this, and for taking my suggestions as an opportunity to make a good program better!

Patrick, I am very glad you are taking my suggestions and attempting to implement tham...and not being insulted by them.

Like I said, it looks a very functional and useful program, but, the look...well, you are now working on it, and I wait eagerly for the results!

Thank you very much for your continued work on this, and for taking my suggestions as an opportunity to make a good program better!
Definitely greatly helpful. Surely! Many thanks

I like that applications work and that are at the cutting - edge. ;)  It greatly helps us all. 

Needs some artists ;)

(Maybe someday, it may be interesting to release the 'nbrush' module for free on gnu to leave people a way to draw some artistics menus/themes under ncurses)

Well, I shall be keeping an eye on the progress on this.  Because this looks to be something which could be very useful in my business life.

For me, the Pandora is NOT just a gaming device, it has many very practical business uses.  the fact that it can play retro games is a huge bonus!

Well, I shall be keeping an eye on the progress on this.  Because this looks to be something which could be very useful in my business life.

For me, the Pandora is NOT just a gaming device, it has many very practical business uses.  the fact that it can play retro games is a huge bonus!
It is indeed really on cutting-edge.  It is so so fast, well built. Coding is something else.  ;)  You switch between applications in a single key press, it reacts. One advantage for instance is these views that can always popup, isn't it? http://i.imgur.com/beXCrLh.jpg No need to look for any information all the time. They simply come to you ;)

My friends like it, but they need always more functionalities. :(

(I will release / give opensrc a free stand-alone nBrush so that you can design theming. But please be patient. It can really take weeks or months so that I get time to do that, cut the lines, test the restricted/minimum src code,... )

***** E D I T ***** 

@Kumaki and other interested:

You can now create your own view for the main menu :)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=4922095#post4922095

Please give me the created /tmp/logo so that I add it to the main menu ;) Rough will no longer be... Hoping you appreciate the idea  (and besides little work) ;)

nballi_by_pat.tar.gz

nballi_x11_debian_screenshot.png

Attachments

• nballi_by_pat.tar.gz
    29 KB · Views: 144
Hi Kumaki,

I am pleased to give you the url of several videos featuring:

- Clisheet

- CliTeX

- Stardesk nframeos

- Cliword

Imagine that all works over a regular SSH connection, which means you

can work on word processing, TeX, ... 

Furthermore, it is intended that you process your documents (TeX) much faster

since CliTeX allows you to import Tables from Clisheet directly and format them 

for you. 

Thus you can write a book easily and faster.

The difference with vim and emacs is that it supports accents better, ö,ä,ü, ...

than vim in the console and formats tables and figures for you (you get prompted

what you get). The color schemes is in further steps of developments since 

it depends on the putty, xterm, ...

Furthermore it allows to run macros over crontab, for RSS, Webwatch, headlines, ... 

It works on the console/terminal for Windows and Linux. For BSD and Mac, it has 

not yet been compiled. Contact the dev if you would like to help for newer versions

for specific.

Few videos have been recently uploaded on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCESFVOU2eS9njYL45K5otFQ

Best Regards

I have added few pictures on the great Pandora !!!

http://ncursespim.scienceontheweb.net/nframe-os.htm?p=palm

The pandora and those solutions are really nice to you. 

(It is ascii and works over the world on the SSH ncloud)

Contact book

Memo

Agenda

and spreadsheet, word processing,. ... all in ASCII and working from the palm of you hand. 

It remains compatible with most operating systems. 

Are you going to release the Pandora demo at any point? I'd love to give this a bit of a whirl, will make me consider if it's even worth carrying on with my PIM.
Are/Can the data files be encrypted?

Are you going to release the Pandora demo at any point? I'd love to give this a bit of a whirl, will make me consider if it's even worth carrying on with my PIM.

Are/Can the data files be encrypted?
Hi pmprog,

Most developments of the dev team were recently targeted to finish

some web applications  (nwebwatcher) and this great soft: 

- CliTeX

My personal opinion. It is a fantastic tool to write on Latex/tex on your putty or terminal. I am lovin' it since I write a book and usually do this over putty. 

So, to reply to your question, on the website, there is now a new section entitled:

" Downloads ".

Please leave me a post telling which application would you like to have as a first demo.

(or a screenshot or preferably name of the app you are interested in).

http://ncursespim.scienceontheweb.net/nframe-os.htm

Oh, regarding encryption, - sure!! 

There are many types of encryption which are integrated.

I attach you  a link where you can for instance encrypt anytime a file, which 

I am using regularly. 

I usually encrypt and send the docs per Email to our friends or other dev partners.

here the link: http://ncursespim.scienceontheweb.net/nframe-os.htm?p=nfilebrowser

Greetings

I'm also looking for a caldav/carddav client. Does your PIM support owncloud sync?
nope, no owncloud yet. Sorry. 

The issue is more that data shall be secured. 

The Calendar/Agenda is the big one for me, especially if I could use something like ownCloud to sync the data file between multiple devices 
Sounds possible but for the next year.

OwnCloud is not implemented unfortunately. Why you don't use a regular Apache or SSH (linux) server? 

And actually you won't leave your data to third-party organism, such gmail. Who knows what does gmail with your personal data? :(

For business and companies, they really avoid to have those on internet; they prefer to have their own servers. 

I do have my own server :) At home, in my livingroom: its a A20 Board (https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO-4GB/open-source-hardware

Really a great device, I am using it as a NAS, owncloud server, mpd, security webcam server, ... and its faster than a raspberry pi :)

And the reason why I'm using owncloud is that I want to keep my data in my house and not on googles serves.

... so... would be cool if you could implement a caldav and carddav client in your PIM for syncing with owncloud :)

The Calendar/Agenda is the big one for me, especially if I could use something like ownCloud to sync the data file between multiple devices
OwnCloud is not implemented unfortunately. Why you don't use a regular Apache or SSH (linux) server? 

And actually you won't leave your data to third-party organism, such gmail. Who knows what does gmail with your personal data? :(

For business and companies, they really avoid to have those on internet; they prefer to have their own servers.
You wouldn't have to implement anything to do with syncing in your app. All I'd need to do is add the data file(s) your app produces into the ownCloud sync process.
I don't want to use a server to connect to the app because when I'm out and about I generally don't have internet access, and thus it'd be useless.

Putting the data file in an ownCloud sync folder would mean that all I'd need is the ownCloud software to distribute the latest file to all my devices when at home, then I have access to it all when I'm out without net access

You wouldn't have to implement anything to do with syncing in your app. All I'd need to do is add the data file(s) your app produces into the ownCloud sync process.

I don't want to use a server to connect to the app because when I'm out and about I generally don't have internet access, and thus it'd be useless.

Putting the data file in an ownCloud sync folder would mean that all I'd need is the ownCloud software to distribute the latest file to all my devices when at home, then I have access to it all when I'm out without net access

Ha ha ;) Funny because it was also a first dream about data. ;) To have always data, even if no internet.

Thus we tried to avoid any synchronizations. So, we decided to invent nCloud. It is not like the stuff you may find on the web.

You can link your data with it.

The still missing part is that google calendar isn't yet supported. There are higher priorities, such as customer custom solutions.

There are more information and the download page is on the way (in progress). Maybe for mid january, we'll have more released packs and new software surprises.

Regular link: http://ncursespim.scienceontheweb.net/

Back