NeoGeo X - A new NeoGeo Portable ( Dec 6 Release )

Oh man, some misinformation in that thread. I don't think that's an analogue stick kids...

So it looks to be another licensed retro gizmo rather than a new current gen handheld. I'm cool with that. The SD slot makes it rather interesting. If it's priced right ($100 ballpark) I'll get one.

EDIT: Yeah... I'm dumb.

EDIT2: Yeah, 666th post, I is devil... and scholar and stuff..

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'nub' (assuming it's the classic Neo Geo Pocket design) is not analogue, it's an 8 position microswitch. Quite unique, and designed especially for games of the era.

They released these a while back, I bought one for FBA on my (modded) PS3. It's fantastic.

[edit] Nah you're not dumb. You just learned something new. You're a scholar and stuff.

Isn't the "nub" on the Tapwave Zodiac a similar 8 position microswitch? Except the Zod one sucked a little bit.

This looks like just the obscure console to get a cult following behind it and really pick up where the Dingoo left off. With names like "SNK" and "Neo Geo" to take advantage of, it's going to garner a pretty decent following to be sure, whether it flops in the mass market or not.

I, for one, want one. Out of curiosity more than anything. I've never owned an NGP or NGPC, despite coveting them. Perhaps I can now redeem myself.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but this appears to just be another rebadged generic handheld.

It very strongly resembles the GameGadget and the VideoJet PDC Touch Lithium, with the biggest difference being that this NeoGeo-branded device has a round controller instead of the one styled after Sony's horrible d-pads that the GameGadget and PDC Touch Lithium have.

Someone should ask SNK Playmore whether they're the ones actually releasing this thing or not?

I really hate rebranded stuff like all those shitty SEGA (officially licensed though) portables.

Yeah, this looks OK I guess. Outside of some form of nastalga, I really can't see the need to purchase this for more than 25-50 bucks. I agree with Sony, this looks like some of that Sega crap that has been released lately that can't even play Sega games well.

Even if this is put out by SNK, and the stick is classic NeoGeo Pocket what is the point? Maybe if they include all the pocket games, I might bite, but otherwise this will have to be super cheap to appeal to anyone.

Chris

According to the original source (Japanese) it is licensed, so I would put it in the same realm as the Sega handheld. Hopefully the quality is better though. If it's on par with the USB controller I mentioned earlier, it'll be worth it. How it handles the software side of things is another matter though.

I like the way how they managed to include 4 Shoulder Buttons, this Design could also work for Pandora2. I don't need 4 Shoulder Buttons but many people here cry for it, so at least we know now how to do it.

Man whoever is running SNK should jump off a cliff this should have came out 6-7 years ago now every hombrew system i can name has neogeo emulation so whos going to buy this

If it's on par with the USB controller I mentioned earlier, it'll be worth it. How it handles the software side of things is another matter though.
The software side of things being why those officially-licensed Sega handhelds are so incredibly bad... They aren't Mega-Drive-on-a-Chip based, as you might expect (though, curiously, the Master System/Game Gear ones *are* MS/GG-on-a-Chip based, and are much better, generally), but based on an ARM processor with a *very bad* emulator...

If these are just something that AtGames (those responsible for the aforementioned Sega-licensed handhelds) has pitched to SNK Playmore and gotten licensing approval for (this is, to my knowledge, how AtGames does things* ), then chances are they'll have the same problem.

Bottom line: This looks to be no more competition to the 3DS and PSP2 than the multi-game Sega-licensed handhelds were to the DS and PSP.

*It has been reported that AtGames recently pitched such a thing to Atari, and got official licensing for their device that way. This is how I know this.

EDIT: Yikes! That report, now I've had the time to read it, has some quite glaring inaccuracies! The NeoGeo Pocket Colour did not manage to sell two million units during the two years it was commercially viable. It sold two million units by *2007* (six-and-a-bit years after its release in late 1999), mostly due to the stock of the consoles and games being packaged up and sold in pocket-money-priced bundles after the original SNK died.

If this is just an emulation type device as it appears, then without an open operating system it won't garner much interest. Why is the Dingoo A320 so much greater a success than similar products? Dingux. Without a similar edge this will just be another device that gets lost in the shuffle.

@Prometheus - Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm expecting it to be. A generic ARM device with a (probably GPL violating) NeoGeo emulator installed. If the emulation is good, I'll be happy to own it as a single purpose device.

Well, earlier today NCSX showed pics with the header "Hoax", so take that for what you will.

http://www.ncsx.com/2012/012312/ncs0123h.htm

I'm not sure if their asking the question, or reporting this as a hoax. I believe the latter. They deal in imports, and have a super solid rep here in the states, so if they are saying this is a hoax, I'll take it at face value, as this is a dumb idea anyways. :p

Chris

I saw this yesterday as well; assuming its real, its a good 'loking' aesthetic; if it has the same controller as the original Neo Geo Pocket, it woudl be amazing.. that was a great little machine :) But as everyone here knows, general purpose emu handheslds can be gotten quite inexpensively, so its a uphill climb for it. But if it is in fact general purpose itself -- easily modded etc, and inexpensive, coudl be fun. I mean, if it has tight controls and a good price, I'd pick it up to wav the flag, and for old times sake, and cause hey.. awesome :)

jeff

it looks great, but i'll continue playing on my GBM until I'll hopefully get my third day preorder...

I like the way how they managed to include 4 Shoulder Buttons, this Design could also work for Pandora2. I don't need 4 Shoulder Buttons but many people here cry for it, so at least we know now how to do it.
I am crying for them..silently.. I hope Pandora 2(whenever it happens..) has a 4 shoulder button setup something like this or the nintendo "classic controller" attachment for the wiimote which appears to be more or less the same thing.

Back