New Atari Console Coming (Ataribox)?

Where is the cartridge slot? And the place to plug in the sticks? And the switches?

Yeah, I just saw the Speakerhat, and I quickly did a facepalm, are these guys high? And if so, what are they smoking, as I would like an ounce! LOL

If this is what their engineering department is coming up with, I have ZERO hopes for the new system.

Chris

Reactions: ___
sure, put some (probably) loud as heck speakers near your ears so you can annoy bystanders while ruining your hearing ability o_O at least the branding is nice and big so people know where to send complaints :p

off topic: this morning a saw a slowly walking dude playing some fast techno music on very loud but crappy bluetooth speakers. he stopped to stare at a random poster, looking completely clueless and maybe wondering wtf a poster is anyway, all while that dance beat was pumping away. it was the most ridiculous scene i've seen recently :D

Some news have surfaced:

"
The buzz on Ataribox continues to grow, and we can’t wait to share more news in the weeks ahead.
Ataribox will first be made available via a crowdfunding campaign this Fall 2017 with shipments planned to start in Spring 2018.
Why Crowdfunding? Amazing brands are driven by amazing communities. Coming back to hardware is an important step for Atari, and something we intend to do carefully, hand-in-hand with the Atari community that loves our brand as much as we do. Crowdfunding is the ultimate community approach to bring great products to life; and for Atari, it allows us to reward our community with exclusive access, special editions, and include them as active participants in the rollout of the Ataribox.
"

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266480-new-atari-console-that-ataribox/page-43
[doublepost=1504145115,1504144788][/doublepost]They say:
"the Atari community that loves our brand as much as we do."
But it seem all of atariage forum is more then a little negative to this box...
As long as its not an Android box Im happy, and it dosnt seem to be.
I think their Facebook page has more positive people though, mayby real Atari fans dont hang out at atarage.
[doublepost=1504145260][/doublepost]https://sv-se.facebook.com/atariboxofficial/

So they plan to crowdfund this then? If they have a product that's worth a damn, put your money where your mouth is, and cover the cost. When you take funds from the masses, there's really not much risk, and in turn, no real reason to succeed against all odds. Of course failing might not be good, but when their money isn't on the line, you get choices being made that might not happen when their dollars are on the line. I've seen way to many of these poorly managed by people who just take shit tons of money, and have no ideas on how to manage it properly.

I don't mind crowdfunding in certain situations, and have supported many over the years, but now it seems the go to plan, long before any actual level of investments are made(pounding the payment type investments). I see a bunch of excuses on the horizon in regards to why the delays are happening, and whatever else they come up with. If they believe 110% in this product, then they should be putting up, or shutting up! If they want my money, they better show a damn near finished console, with a decent amount of damn near finished titles. And then I'll think about it, and get back to them before it ends. Showing some wood grained "whatever", with little else isn't really getting me all that excited. LOL

Chris

Chris, your unrelenting optimism never ceases to amaze me. ;)

I'm "the cup is half empty" kind of guy more often than not, as you can probably already tell LOL But when some of these guys actually give me a reason to see it half full, I'm more than happy to go that route as well. Sadly, that doesn't happen to often.

Here's a few new Atari products for those who may be on the half full side: http://pqube.co.uk/atari/

Chris

Hey guys, I know an insider at ATARI HQ and wanted to share a conversation he overheard between some high ups! I have used aliases for names to protect the identity of the insider!

Malcolm: Gee, the lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, uh... staggers me.
Gennaro: Well thank you, Dr. Malcolm, but I think things are a little bit different then you and I had feared...
Malcolm: Yeah, I know. They're a lot worse.
Gennaro: Now, wait a second now, we haven't even seen the BOX...
Hammond: No, no, Donald, Donald, Donald... let him talk. There's no reason... I want to hear every viewpoint, I really do.
Malcolm: Don't you see the danger, John, inherent in what you're doing here? 64bit power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that's found his dad's gun.
Gennaro: It's hardly appropriate to start hurling generalizations...
Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the GAMING power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[bangs on the table]
you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our scientists have done things which nobody's ever done before...
Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.
Hammond: ARCADES. ARCADES are on the verge of extinction...
Malcolm: [shaking his head] No...
Hammond: If I was to create a CHAIN of ARCADES on this island, you wouldn't have anything to say.
Malcolm: No, hold on. This isn't some THING that was obliterated by DRUGS, or the BANNING of CASH. ATARI had their shot, and nature selected them for extinction.
Hammond: I simply don't understand this Luddite attitude, especially from a GAMER. I mean, how can we stand in the light of NOSTALGIA, and not act?
Malcolm: What's so great about NOSTALGIA? It's a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call NOSTALGIA, I call the rape of the natural world.
Sattler: Well, the question is, how can you know anything about an extinct ecosystem? And therefore, how could you ever assume that you can control it? I mean, you have plants in this building that are poisonous, you picked them because OLD ATARI DEVS SMOKED THEM, but these are HIGH AS A KITE NERDS that have no idea what century they're in, and they'll defend themselves, AS BEST THEY CAN if necessary.
Hammond: Dr. Grant, if there's one person here who could appreciate what I'm trying to do...
Grant: The world has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look... ATARI and man, two species separated by 20 years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?
Hammond: [laughing] I don't believe it. I don't believe it! You're meant to come down here and defend me against these characters, and the only one I've got on my side is the blood-sucking lawyer!
Gennaro: Thank you.

Sorry, just couldnt resist a bit of humor, and just to be safe in this day and age, the above text is a quotation from the film Jurassic Park with some words exchanged and not a real insider scoop!

For some reason that last section of your post is all garbled on my end. Make sure to tell your contact to be ready to leave quickly if they see any of the IT people with a can of Barbasol, ESPECIALLY if a storm is coming in...or is your contact an IT guy? If so, let him know that I want to meet him about a, uh, business opportunity.

I never really paid much attention to the ones in the building, but I think they are all still living species, so watch the film and identify them then head out to a nursery, or maybe check Etsy for seeds (when looking for hemlock and other poisonous plants they were difficult to find, with Etsy being the only source for the hemlock, and that was as seeds).

From a post on their Facebook page from someone that got an email from them:

"Ataribox will be powered by an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. It'll run Linux, with a customized, easy-to-use user interface. This approach means that as well as being a great gaming device, Ataribox is also a full PC experience for the TV, bringing you streaming, applications, social, browsing, music, and more.

Most TV devices have closed systems and content stores. Linux lets us be more open; you can access & customise the OS, & you can access games you've bought from other content platforms (if compatible with the OS and HW).
There will be tons of classic Atari retro games pre-loaded, & current titles from a range of studios (we'll start talking titles very soon, stay tuned)."
[doublepost=1506421614,1506420346][/doublepost]http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-look-ataribox-design-36241?e=83493d0a83

This was an interesting bit :

"We're launching Ataribox on Indiegogo this fall (read: pretty soon). To reiterate why: we want you, the Atari community, to be part of this launch. We want you to have early access, grab special editions (& pricing) and to have you as active partners in the rollout of Ataribox. We want you to be part of the story.

We plan on shipping late Spring 2018, with an expected price range of $249-$299 (depending on specific editions & memory configurations)."

Apparently the wood looking version will feature real wood

Is there an AMD APU that dosnt require a fan? There wasnt any fan exhaust on the console but looking at close up image of the top it looks like open gaps inbetween the ridges or what they might be called, although thats no guarantee of a fan, I just hope its quiet, Im so allergic to noise.
[doublepost=1506422463,1506421841][/doublepost]Im guessing at this? G series embedded, J wich seem top of the line?

http://www.amd.com/en/products/embedded-g-series-3rd-gen-j-family
[doublepost=1506422651][/doublepost]GX-224IJ
2 CPU cores
Target TDP 10-15W
Target CPU Base/Max Freq. 2.4/2.8Ghz
Target GPU Freq. 600Mhz

Back