New Atari Console Coming (Ataribox)?

He said they were gonna offer their own shop for games also.
I was a bit disapointed to hear first that it would be a PC, but after this interview Im sold!
An easy to use interface and an official store to buy "ATARIBOX" games from is consol enough, and by the side of that have an open system to load any kind of programs and games that can run on the hardware and Linux, thats fantastic! Also no gatekeepers, or so I wanted to understand him anyway, so that anyone can make an "ATARIBOX" game.
I am so sold on this now! You have my support ATARIBOX!!!1

Ordinary people are never gonna buy Retro-Pi boards and build their own devices, also if it comes with an easy to use interface thats a major thing, and small and good looking and hopefully quiet, if the price is fair then thats all it takes.

I wonder when the Indiegogo will start. It's getting late in the year. A 60 day campaign would go over christmas. Even a 30 day campaign would be getting close now to hoilidays

They finally posted pics of the Ataribox controller. I think it's an option, ie more modern controllers will be avaialble as well.

index.php

index.php

index.php

post-3282-0-47243500-1511292558_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of a simple controller enforcing simpler game concepts. Only having the one fire button could make games more interesting again, although there's the danger it'll just get mobile phone ports with the fire button replacing the concept of tapping on the touchscreen.

At the end of the day it all depends on the feel of that controller, but I can safely predict it's probably not as bad as the 7200 controllers.

That controller looks great, I love the retro design. Hoping to see a trackball and paddle controllers with the same style. I would pick them up for my PC to use with emulators.

I'm actually digging that controller(what the hell is wrong with me). LOL

It's always great to see something like this that tries to keep the old "feel", but still add new tech. Of course this will only be good for the most basic of games, but it could have been worse. I'm still keeping an open mind for the end product, and this was a pleasant surprise.

Chris

Well, the home and back buttons on the controller remind me of certain android buttons... hopefully this is just for user conveniance and not a sign for an android system (even when they announced it would be real linux).

That's true, but unless I'm getting mixed up between the plethora of crowdfunded consoles in production at the moment, I thought they'd stated it'll run linux - kernel and userland. And thinking on it, a home function and a back function is quite common way of navigating systems at the moment, but that said I looked at my 3DS and it has a home button but no labelled back button (although nine times out of ten the B button does back), and the set-top-box remotes next to me have back buttons but no home button. But given the ataribox is running a proper multitasking os, having both functions maybe allows you finer control regarding backgrounding programs.

I dare say they saw the two buttons together on Android and thought it was a cool pairing, and decided to put it on their console, but it doesn't automatically mean they're running any part of android.

While the joystick is pretty, a single button is something that takes me back to the single button on the amiga and that was horrible, really horrible.
I have no faith in this atari.

that controller looks like an ashtray :$ actually kinda like the looks but the design ...

why would they make a concave, glossy (low friction) recess and have some room between the hole of the stick and the stick - to better catch dust and grime inside ? :(

I think it's because the original VCS stick actually pivoted inside the bottom unit of the case, with the rubber grommet covering all the gubbins. They wanted the thick case for the off-hand feel, but didn't want a shonky gromet covering the working bit in 2017, so came up with this design. You point out the disadvantages of a design like this well though.

Nothing can be as bad as the 7800 controllers. I don't know if the ones I had were broken or something, but the stick on them just didn't register unless you used enough force to rip the controller from your grip. Just holding onto the controller while you attempted to move the joystick was an extreme workout.

Edit: That video is a bit weird. The player doesn't seem to be moving the stick to a predefined point to actuate the microswitch. Either it's an analogue controler and the game is using a very small deadzone, or it's a mock up with no actual sensors in it, and that noise you can hear bears no relation to the joystick you can see.

Hey guys, check your inboxes, preorders are starting in a few days(December 14th, 2017). And for those who signed up to be informed, you'll get early access with a "exclusive" discount, that will be extremely limited. No mention of what the machine will actually be, so I'm guessing more will be revealed soon, but who knows.

Chris

Hey guys, check your inboxes, preorders are starting in a few days(December 14th, 2017). And for those who signed up to be informed, you'll get early access with a "exclusive" discount, that will be extremely limited. No mention of what the machine will actually be, so I'm guessing more will be revealed soon, but who knows.

Chris

You get $10 off an Atari Speaker Hat

Just kidding

atari-speaker-hat.jpg

Mmmmmm, going as well as I figured it would. LOL

"Launch Delay
The countdown to the Ataribox launch on Indiegogo has been officially paused. Because of one key element on our checklist, it is taking more time to create the platform and ecosystem the Atari community deserves. Building Ataribox is incredibly important to us and we will do whatever it takes to be sure it is worth the wait.

An updated launch plan is underway and more detailed information will be available soon.

We will be keeping you, our community, informed every step of the way. Thank you again for your support of Ataribox.

-The Ataribox Team"

Chris

Back