New Blog Post!

marshal said:
I still can't believe the chinese haven't shipped those damn 1000 cases (which do look really nice with the paint but whatever)

You mean that you can't believe that the Chinese were told not to ship those damn 1000 cases, and told instead to wait a while and pretty them up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps we could send a few to Nairobi to have the battery covers fitted.

Loonie said:
Perhaps we could send a few to Nairobi to have the battery covers fitted.
Then to Rio de Janeiro to polish the d-pad.

Well first of all, thanks for the update, at least we're being told stuff, and I do appreciate that. ED, you do a wonderful job resisting vagueness.

However...I'm getting a bit annoyed, so a warning to the chronically over-optimistic here, you can just skip this post if you like. Anyways, why do the cases need to be painted suddenly? The factory's advice, perhaps? IMO the cases just need to be separated as far as humanly possible from that time-devouring factory. And now the cases have to be reviewed again; it's like a cruel joke. Wanna use the old DS as an example? My old DS looks like shit because of the paint. And I haven't used the thing much since I got a lite (right after it came out), meaning that in less than half the time I intend to use my pandora (which is until it dies), the paint went to crap. I want this thing to last, and this just screams bad idea. It may look better in the short run, but there's a good chance that it will later on be regretted. I do hope I can make a meal out of those words someday; I'd like to be wrong here as obviously my opinion isn't going to make a difference. I'm just saying I would rather not find out the hard way.

Also:
craigix said:
sverm said:
craigix said:
It's such a simple issue Michael is just going to do them as we ship them.The factory can do the rest.
If I interpret this correctly, do you mean that for the boards already populated, Michael will be making a manual adjustment (God bless his patience!); and for all future not-yet-populated boards, the factory will be doing the fix right from the start of the manufacture?
Yes. It's just a resistor change.
Craig must enjoy this or something.

absolofdoom said:
Anyways, why do the cases need to be painted suddenly? The factory's advice, perhaps? IMO the cases just need to be separated as far as humanly possible from that time-devouring factory. And now the cases have to be reviewed again; it's like a cruel joke. Wanna use the old DS as an example? My old DS looks like shit because of the paint.
I agree entirely. Besides the fact that I didn't mind the nerdy, function-over-form, look of the rougher cases, this is something that's going to live in my pocket.[sup]*[/sup] After it's lived a month in the same pocket as my Swiss army knife, it's not going to look bright and shiny no mater what they paint it with. (Unless it's living metal like Terminator 2.)

I want this thing to last, and this just screams bad idea. It may look better in the short run, but there's a good chance that it will later on be regretted.
Probably they're still using black plastic, so it won't be as bad as you're imagining. If you scratch the black paint off it'll just show through as not-quite-as-dark black.

* (...If pants still have pockets that far into the future. I'm not sure how I'll carry my Pandora if, by the time we get it, society has already switched over to the one-piece silver jumpsuits with the v-stripes.)

i have to say - the paint job is a bad bad idea

ok it looks shiny and new at first

but the old nintendo ds did look shit after a few months use, the white was exposed on corners and after a while all over the place

The saving grace here is that the plastic below is black so it won't stand out as much

I guess more delays mean more waiting - the arora browser looks ok

Now I just wish they update the kernel and test before shipping as it would give h264 playback - something alot of reviewers may pick up on

looks like its around end of june for me (i'm around a constant 2,200 in order) - I really do hope they have the full 10,000 cases after all these shanningans over the case you would be kinda pissed if only 1,000 were made and the wait goes on forever (well its coming up to 2 years already - or /netwalker here i come)

Thanks for the update.

As for the cases, I'd personally be much happier if they weren't perfectly painted and need to be reviewed again. So tired of this back and forth endlessly with the Chinese case factory, it's like reinventing the wheel or something. Has any consideration been put into just painting the outside of the cases and leaving the insides as is? Would save time/heartache/tension etc...

Glad WiFi is working well. Appreciate the hard work everyone is doing on the OS.

As for first 700 boards going to Turkey? Really? I thought MWeston could do this fix in a minute or two per board. Granted doing 700 would suck, but its better than 4000.

I'm slowly falling back in love with my Dingoo, doesn't give me all of these excuses, it just works and continually gets better.

Peace & Vapolution,

Link

Alerino, it would be best to include a quote of the blog post in the first post, imo. I've read the comments now, but not the blog post yet. So, bad news it is? Let's see...

edit:
So not much new stuff. Some PCBs to Turkey, cases back to red-lighted. Good thing Michael solved the Wifi problem, so the next few thousand boards are already in production, right? Or does he have to redesign the board first? We'll see in the next blog post in two weeks :p

ohhh FFS!!!

i have duly written a long post pointing out statements like the chinese were told to ship the cases prior the the 6th yet they are still working on them, the 700 boards could be fixed in 1-2 minutes each yet they will now "take a while" and "might" be shipped to Turkey and deleted it.

I'm frustrated and exceedingly bored with hearing people saying the wolf will turn up tomorrow, i have written off the money so dont care about a refund i just want a line in the sand, a decision, something concrete about then this will turn up instead of (i'm sorry but the last few offical posts lead me to say this) lies about what is causing the delays this time or what has been done but eventually turns out not to be.

just.... sort the thing before the community tears itself apart and we end up with a gizmondo

Its not long ago, maybe yesterday? I read in these forums "there will be no more delay!".
And BOOM... there you have it.

FFS! I have no right to get an answer but I wish I would get one: "Who and when decided to paint the cases?" Why wasn't it done in the prototype?".

Hell, if they decided to paint the cases we wouldn't have to wait 2 month to get the cases perfect, we could have just put paint on it and cover all those bad-looking spots up.
This is all so unbelievable!

PS:

Sorry for the rough tone, however, I woke up to read good news, as they were promised the last days (cases are perfect, boards will be fixed when we build it, most parts are in the UK already [BTW, did anyone notice that ED has written the boxes on the pic HAVE to be send to the UK? Craig said these boxes WERE already in the UK])

Creature XL said:
Craig said these boxes WERE already in the UK
I'm struggling to find this quote. Have I missed something?

Creature XL said:
Its not long ago, maybe yesterday? I read in these forums "there will be no more delay!".
And BOOM... there you have it.

FFS! I have no right to get an answer but I wish I would get one: "Who and when decided to paint the cases?" Why wasn't it done in the prototype?".

Hell, if they decided to paint the cases we wouldn't have to wait 2 month to get the cases perfect, we could have just put paint on it and cover all those bad-looking spots up.
This is all so unbelievable!

PS:

Sorry for the rough tone, however, I woke up to read good news, as they were promised the last days (cases are perfect, boards will be fixed when we build it, most parts are in the UK already [BTW, did anyone notice that ED has written the boxes on the pic HAVE to be send to the UK? Craig said these boxes WERE already in the UK])

dont forget "we" decided not to have silscreening so as to get the cases out from china quicker, yet from what i read and see the cases are still not made, still have to be painted and this is weeks down the line from the silkscreening decision.

this all seems like a self perpetuating circle... "we might as well do some more on the cases as we are waiting for the boards"... wait a week or two.. "we might as well ship the boards to turkey as we are still waiting for the cases"...

RARRRRRGGGH!!!
HULK SMASH!

I think the idea of putting the pink one on ebay before the first batch ships should be reconsidered. I can mostly deal with all the other madness (like another case review...) but to see someone get a Pandora before the rest of us - just because they can front the most cash - would be a big slap in the face. In between batch 1 & 2 would be much better timing.

^ Me too. It's almost a parody. Good thing I have an excellent taste regarding bad humour :D

mosschops said:
dont forget "we" decided not to have silscreening so as to get the cases out from china quicker, yet from what i read and see the cases are still not made, still have to be painted and this is weeks down the line from the silkscreening decision.

Yeah to be honest I've been kinda leaning back from any sort of negative comments on the delays, but this takes the cake... we don't get silkscreening, but for some reason we have time for paint? I seriously don't f***ing want it painted, since no one has ever talked about this! And if you guys wanted to do this from the start, how come this wasn't brought up during prototype testing and sample-shipping back and forth, fitting the keymat and everything?? It just feels as though the past 2 months never happened (except for Wifi, good job for sure)... but the case shit... holy crap.

edit: quote tags

Gruso said:
I think the idea of putting the pink one on ebay before the first batch ships should be reconsidered. I can mostly deal with all the other madness (like another case review...) but to see someone get a Pandora before the rest of us - just because they can front the most cash - would be a big slap in the face. In between batch 1 & 2 would be much better timing.
I'm usually very easygoing about everything (I just prefer to focus on the fun aspects of the community :p), but I have to say that I agree with this.

That's the only thing I have a strong view about.

So its true? Black paint? So instead of the new machine delay and extra time given to the chinese because of the resistor delay they just went out and bought black spray cans to hide the flaws?

In regards to the chinese and not the OP team:

Back