New Blog Post!

Iorgy77 said:
Thank you MWeston. Awesome post.
+1. It was what I'd been expecting all night after the blog update, for some reason. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus, I feel substantially better after reading your post Michael. Thank you.

I hope EvilDragon doesn't cop too much crap for getting it wrong, it can't be easy working in several languages and time zones. I know how difficult it can be to be the blog guy, to make sure everything you post is 100% correct (never happens), and to be in the firing line when people don't like the way you've done it. And I only have .00001% of the pressure on me that EvilDragon has on him. So I dunno, group hugs or something.

MWeston said:
The cases will be shipped on Saturday April 17th (unpainted) or on Tuesday April 20th (painted).

So, the plan is to produce all of them right now, if they do still fit with the paint they get painted, else they are shipped without paint? If so, are you absolutely sure that the chinese did understand this and are not waiting with the cases production until you give a final decision on the painting issue?

Hooray for some sanity at last. Man, if ever there was a case for having a bit more control over the outward-facing communication in a project (some call it "PR"), this would be it! :)

Well, lets hope we have some good news after the weekend. "Cases have shipped" = one big fat nerdgasm thread I hope to read on Monday, if not the weekend ..

Wow! A lot of new informations I didn't know yet!
I did ask for recent stuff happening via mail, but it looks the replies didn't make it in time when I did the post, so all I knew was what we were evaluating.

Thanks for clearing up Michael and sorry to anyone who was scared or pissed off by my blog post.
I should stop posting and do more scripting for the time being...

I never thought in Pandora about the latest piece of polished, beautiful and eyecandy piece of hardware apple style.
the cases were ok just like they looked 1 month ago. the chinese are playing with all of us, sure they use the money to invest in chinese stock markets or something. seriuosly, something happend with those guys. they are chinese, not stupid. that babel misunderstanding allways sounded weird for me.
dont know how many cases were produced (maybe the ones we saw in the latest photos in boxes), we only saw about 50. it is a mess

about the resistor, send the pandora and I will replace it by myself. seriously, with proper equipment (that the assembly team should have) it takes 2 minutes to do it.
ok, 700 resistors must be replaced. ¿what happend with the rest 300 mobos? ¿are they being produced right now?

there are about 700 mobos somewhere, that will be splitted and shipped somewere else -> ¿?! please, be consistent with the plan.

the software: as soon as pandoras arrive to customers, SW development will be 100x faster. it is opensource, let us help developing!!

MWeston said:
Geez,

CHOP

Michael

thank you Michael, much appreciated.

I hope for all our sanities we get to a point where we can all just sit back and watch the hardware built by others, sold by Ed, Craig and Fatih and you can take credit for a great design sometime soon.
the pain of childbirth??? PAH!

Wow, I missed all this...

You know, when I first saw that picture of the case, I thought it was the most positive thing I'd seen in a long time.
The case pictures before were passable, but I couldn't help feeling like I wanted something better.
But now they're perfect.

I thought it was the most positive thing I'd seen, I thought finally people would stop whining.
And then I come to the forums and there is outrage. <_<

EDIT:
Yeah and thanks MWeston for that well deserved slap in the face (of the good kind).

Thanks for the blog post ED, it's always nice to be updated. I love that you're on Twitter; hearing progress on the OS is always good news. Also, thank you to MWeston for the very comprehensive blog post. I trust your decision on the cases. That lower section (for the keyboard) that they produced on a new machine apparently looked about as good as the painted ones. I'm concerned about the durability of the paint myself but it does appear to look good and even. I just hope it's not covering up flaws in the case beyond the likes of discolouration -- the company really boggles the mind, as comes across in your post.

Well done on overcoming the wifi issue too. That was a collective sigh of relief.

EvilDragon said:
I did ask for recent stuff happening via mail, but it looks the replies didn't make it in time when I did the post, so all I knew was what we were evaluating.
Some of this stuff was from a discussion with Fatih after your blog post was already made so hopefully the combination helps with people's frustrations and it the most comprehensive review of the state of things as I currently understand it.

MWeston said:
The current problem with the painting idea is that they need to take a PCB I sent them and put a painted unit together to be sure that tolerances still exist. Unlike those pictures you have seen of the black and pink one, doing thousands will be done in a professional and dust free environment should we chose to do that. A few extra days while we prepare other stuff like opening up boxes and soldering resistors? Hmmn, it might actually be worth it.

I asked Fatih to ask them about the durability of the paint. Yes, I go through Fatih again because going direct seems to go no where these days. They answer to the one making the purchase orders. He said they tried applying stickers and scratching the paint with a knife and were happy with the test results. I mentioned that we were more interested in more general rubbing and finger grease/salts. I also asked him to find out exactly what kind of paint they will use so we can research its durability. If this all gets done before Friday, no time will be lost since I guess they are still building final cases themselves this week. Can I get a collective: WTF? I hear ya.

Yes. You get a great big WTF - who on earth decided that you would accept painted cases when after the whole silkscreen debacle the community pretty much decided by a large majority that they want the OP shipped regardless of case quality?

Soooo.... April 17th is the earliest they could ship all the cases, April 20th otherwise? I assume they'll have a board of their own to test with, rather than sending you a test sample of cases on April 20th. God, I pray that I've read you right on that one - surely not another 3 weeks of delays while the inevitable problems with the cases are sorted out again because some dickhead thought it would be a good idea to paint them?

D.

Reading MWeston's followup post expressing some negative emotions about the delays was far more comforting than I expected. Lacking the standard "only good news" & "no negative emotions" filters present in most official posts it lets me know that there's really only a handful of actual people behind this, not a whole corporation. :)

We're as pissed and stressed as everyone else but it's usually best not to see it on the Captain's face right? Usually... :)

MWeston said:
EvilDragon said:
Some of this stuff was from a discussion with Fatih after your blog post was already made so hopefully the combination helps with people's frustrations and it the most comprehensive review of the state of things as I currently understand it.

Aah, I see. So just missed it by a few hours... damn.
I'll never twitter again that I will do a blog post the next day but will only do so as soon as I get ALL the information needed.

Well, I guess I'm the one to blame for some near-heartattacks in the community today.
If you ever see me in real life, you're all liable to smack me :)

Last edited:
So.. I'm slightly confused... are case samples that need approval shipping on the 17th/20th - or are a pallet with 1,000+ cases shipping on that date?

Back