New Blog Post!

Good!

sometimes you need to get mad to draw the line. even if it is towards customers!!
CUSTOMERS AINT ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!

clap clap clap!!!

(i do like the response od ED, but im still not on the side of CraigX he just went nuts badly)

DaveC said:
I guess the Pandora isn't for everyone. If you want perfection, buy Apple. It amazes me that people expect us to do the same thing as good and as fast as a multi-BILLION dollar mega corporation like Apple or Sony, Nintendo etc. We try but you just can't beat reality and physics.

Well it all comes down to what each persons definition of Perfection is. For me the Pandora is perfect (i expect) for it's function, not it's looks, or small details that can be fixed, but others may disagree. And that's fine by me.

DaveC: Not attacking you, just extending on your post to make a point ;)

Edit: clarifications

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkoeZ said:
DaveC said:
I guess the Pandora isn't for everyone. If you want perfection, buy Apple. It amazes me that people expect us to do the same thing as good and as fast as a multi-BILLION dollar mega corporation like Apple or Sony, Nintendo etc. We try but you just can't beat reality and physics.

Well it all comes down to what each persons definition of Perfection is. For me the Pandora is perfect (i expect) for it's function, not it's looks, or small details that can be fixed, but others may disagree. And that's fine by me.

It's definately also perfect for me. Fullspeed Amiga. Nice LCD Gamma control to make games look better. Perfect DPad and button setup.
Full featured desktop in case I do not only want to play games... I've got my prototype since December and love it.

Last edited:
MarkoeZ said:
If you want perfection, buy Apple.
Ugh.. If you call something that is intentionally crippled instead of accidentally crippled perfection.

crade said:
MarkoeZ said:
If you want perfection, buy Apple.
Ugh.. If you call something that is intentionally crippled instead of accidentally crippled perfection.

Intentionally crippled and unintentionally crippled it even more due to WiFi issues ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Intentionally crippled and unintentionally crippled it even more due to WiFi issues ;)
Intentionally crippled and getting more crippled with every update.

man you guys need to chill OMG this sh*t is getting crazy, OP team has enough on there hands >.> people please, lets stop and think for a little....good things come to does who wait........

MarkoeZ said:
DaveC said:

That is why I said it isn't for everyone. It isn't. I would rather someone cancel, then to get it and be dissapointed it doesn't have the fit and finish of their iPhone, then return it.

I do not knock those that do wish to cancel either. It was their choice to pre-order and also their right to cancel. I wish that we could have released the thing 2 months early and have had it with a finish better than Apple or Sony. Reality is a bitch, for us (OP) too, none of us like the situation either.

EvilDragon said:
It's definately also perfect for me. Fullspeed Amiga. Nice LCD Gamma control to make games look better. Perfect DPad and button setup.
Full featured desktop in case I do not only want to play games... I've got my prototype since December and love it.

Quit braggin! :)

i live in the netherlands, it's close... :ph34r: :p

EvilDragon said:
And by design and technical flaws from GPH products, we were talking about stuff like...

* Unusable stick for gaming (GP2X F100)
* DPAD not that great either (GP2X F200)
* Wrong type of LCD used (240x320 instead of 320x240, leading to tearing or workarounds)

Also, one of my GP2X's SD was broken on delivery (brand new) because the pins were bent in. Bending them back just broke it for good.

My other GP2X had its USB port fall off due to not being soldered strongly enough. It ripped the traces off the board; a friend tried to repair it by resoldering thin wire it to vias and he said it was unlikely to work. It only worked once after.

These are massive flaws that show very poor build quality. Complain about what's going on with Pandora, but at the very least I expect much better than this from them.

EvilDragon said:

There's no doubt about it that everybody who has contributed to make the Pandora what it is has done an absolutely fantastic job. Honestly, you are all crazy for taking on such an immense project. Hats off to all of you for bringing such a unique product to the market. It may be for a niche market, but in the eyes of that niche market this device is absolutely brilliant! It looks amazing, keep up the great work and don't let the stray negative comment get to you.

For kicks though - I have a Motorola Milestone, which I believe runs on an OMAP3, the processor is clocked to 550MHz. I'd be more than happy to put some WiFi strain on it and post what kind of speed it peaks/averages at over a local network. That might help put some perspective on the matter.

Take 'er easy!

Everyone here has there own reasons for wanting a Pandora, some things are the same, and some things have changed. Not a big deal for me really. I personally still think this is a very viable item in todays market, and it will take many years for a comparable product to come along(maybe a few more to beat it). My reasons for setting my own cancellation date has to due with the business versus the product!

If someone here wants to call it quits, more power to them. No hard feelings. I might be joining you in late july. Only time will tell. Until then, I'm still waiting for my unit, and I'm sorry to see many go, but what can you do.

Good luck to all!

Chris

I just wanted to mention that I regularly use Firefox on my Viewsonic V1100 (In fact, Firefox is just about all I ever use on it.), and, with the exception of start-up time, I find it perfectly snappy even when I have a dozen tabs open.

The V1100 has no more RAM than a Pandora.

I lurk. Everyday. I don't really feel like making a new thread of anything, that's silly so I will just inject this here. I'm a first batcher - though in Feb 2009 so I've not got quite as much wait time in as some of you. Don't really have much to say really, hell, I don't even run Linux - ever. Of course that will change in...well, when it does. I know a few things about some stuff, and I've seen a lot of people jump into projects risking so much. It can be a huge mess if you don't know what you're getting into or underestimate what can go wrong. But that's a given, right?

I gave my money a while back, and like most of my fellow "firsties", I'm in it 'till I get the little black box. Infact, even if I didn't get it in the end I've made my peace (no order number for you!). I know, that my weasly Canadian dollars are nothing to the absolutely tremendous toll this has to have taken on the developers involved - those who are in it who stand to make a profit (eventually...) and those who are just in it for the love. Let me remind you... $330 USD for the unit (barring extras)? Think about how much money in a year you absolutely waste on nothing. Rubbish fast food, booze, that blu-ray player I only ever used 3 times... $330USD paid from the Chequeing account of a then student, and a now okay-paid (but lovin' it) "SCIENCE MAN!" Lots of mistakes, misinformation - intended or not, bad choices, and bad luck. But we're still here, right? Well, as far as I can tell most of us are.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride - because a lot of you are just making it harder on yourself, let the devs stress over it, it's kinda part of their job. They're doing their best - so I believe.

My 0.02 :)

Oh, and I use Opera ;)

Arora is faster, needs less RAM, does display all websites flawlessly (same rendering engine as FireFox), has an Adblocker, can also do tabbed browsing, has a private mode.
The only thing it CAN'T do is use extensions or special scripts. Unless you seriously need them, there's no need to use FireFox.

Just a minor thing: Arora doesn't use Firefox's rendering engine. It uses Qt's html rendering engine, which is Webkit, the one used by Midori, Safari, Google Chrome, Epiphany, and optionally Konqueror. It does seem quite good, though the build that I installed at home and at work both seem to have problematic session restoring (that is, it's not working at all, but that might not be a problem with the app in general, just on my distro or something).

fake edit: like Rygiz, I use Opera and ordered in '09 Feb.

Rygiz said:
I lurk. Everyday.

Same here. Funny I took the late September day off to pre-order, F5ing in one window and checking forums in another until I could finally part with my cold, hard cash. I had been lurking for just over a month at the time. That cash is spent. Eventually I will have a new toy to play with. I wouldn't buy that new toy now, I now have a 5 month old son who was not even conceived until the Pandora slipped by early release estimates.

Pandora will be better because of the wait and because of the life changes. No matter what life throws at me, I like the same things I did two years ago. I also like the same things I did ten years ago. Twenty years ago, even. (especially - NES/Genesis is going to be GREAT!)

Even without having it in my hands, Pandora and the community have given me literally days of entertainment. And things are just going to get better.

lucidchaos said:
Rygiz said:
I lurk. Everyday.

Same here. Funny I took the late September day off to pre-order, F5ing in one window and checking forums in another until I could finally part with my cold, hard cash. I had been lurking for just over a month at the time. That cash is spent. Eventually I will have a new toy to play with. I wouldn't buy that new toy now, I now have a 5 month old son who was not even conceived until the Pandora slipped by early release estimates.

Pandora will be better because of the wait and because of the life changes. No matter what life throws at me, I like the same things I did two years ago. I also like the same things I did ten years ago. Twenty years ago, even. (especially - NES/Genesis is going to be GREAT!)

Even without having it in my hands, Pandora and the community have given me literally days of entertainment. And things are just going to get better.

you made me smile my friend ^______________________^

EvilDragon said:
And what unauthorised loan? You paid for the device, we clearly said that the money will be used to actually produce the Pandora and you could always cancel your order.
There was nothing unauthorised.
There were some people who did cancel their order and they got their money back.

<LONG RANT OMITTED, OUTRAGE ON MANY POINTS>

The first batch is mainly for fans of homebrew and opensource, geeks and similar folks who don't care if the software doesn't run 100% from the beginning.
The hardware will be fine, we fixed everything up, so there's no problem anymore.

<MORE LONG RANT OMITTED>

Mr. Dragon, I know that you've worked very hard for this project, and I appreciate your dedication and efforts. But please be realistic about the expectations and perception of your clients, or at least, some of your clients...

You _have_ gotten a 1.5 year loan from your early adopters. Just accept it and admit it for what it is. Most of the pre-orderers have shown unbelievable patience and understanding regarding this "loan" - but really, it has been a very long time, and many broken promises. Don't be surprised when someone posts a public cancellation.

Most of all, please don't get all revisionist about who the intended audience is or was. I can't find anything about the unit being "mainly for fans of homebrew and opensource... who don't care if the software doesn't run 100% from the beginning" in any of your press, or anywhere on the promotional website (the English language one, at any rate). It wasn't sold to me that way, although I did understand that this was a large part of the early audience. And I really don't want to hear the glib crap about buying an Apple product, or hearing about other products that shipped broken. I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into, and I still think that this entire process was totally messed up.

Just be pleased that enough people supported you above and beyond to get the Pandora off the ground, should it ever ship. I'm an early pre-orderer (first day), I'm hanging in, but I'm still not convinced that this thing will ever ship, or ever ship while it is still relevant.

Back