New Convertable Netbook Based On Omap3

J@F

Still Fresh
CODE
http://i.gizmodo.com/5162584/always-innovating-touch-book-is-a-part+netbook-part+tablet-open-source-frankenstein?skyline=true&s=i

the netbook seems to have many of the same specs as the pandora. Obviously it's for different markets though so don't be hating on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, great thanks for mentioning. But I think we've got enough of these 'let me show ya, what the OMAP3 actually does' topics. Next tiem post this in off-topic plz.

Ok , Ive read the article now and I seriously lol at it. It uses internal USB ports which is unneeded(and consuming more power than needed). It uses an microSDHC as harddrive (SLOW, come one whats wrong with atleast using an SDHC card or fast USB stick?)

The only kewl feature is the fact that you can get the screen off the keyboard with ease and without losing power (well I hoped they added an extra battery in the keyboard case else it is a great loss of something what is possible)

And now the funniest part this machine costs 300 dollar (almost the price of the more powerful pandora) and they ask another 100 dollar for the keyboard. They know nobody buys the touchpad only so they ask a frikkin 100 dollar for it.

For those 400 dollar you could buy a EEEpc with better battery life for it (look what the pandora needs and what space theyve left)

This device you showed us is like the worst device ever.

Didn't someone ask about a detachable screen for the p&|a? Although it was only to turn it round so that it could fold down into a tablet mode, as all the stuff is in the base.

No, I don't know why I wanted to bring it up either...

'Mithrildor' said:
Ok , Ive read the article now and I seriously lol at it. It uses internal USB ports which is unneeded(and consuming more power than needed). It uses an microSDHC as harddrive (SLOW, come one whats wrong with atleast using an SDHC card or fast USB stick?)

The only kewl feature is the fact that you can get the screen off the keyboard with ease and without losing power (well I hoped they added an extra battery in the keyboard case else it is a great loss of something what is possible)

And now the funniest part this machine costs 300 dollar (almost the price of the more powerful pandora) and they ask another 100 dollar for the keyboard. They know nobody buys the touchpad only so they ask a frikkin 100 dollar for it.

For those 400 dollar you could buy a EEEpc with better battery life for it (look what the pandora needs and what space theyve left)

This device you showed us is like the worst device ever.
This device looks pretty decent and no way an EEE will have better battery life. This device says 10-15 hours and sounds about right considering it can have a bigger battery than the pandora. BTW how is the pandora more powerful? Also the price is very reasonable. Lay off the crack bro :rolleyes:

'Eniko' said:
Detachable keyboard dock is a nice gimmick. Not nice enough for me to even begin contemplating buying it, but still, nice.
Just the fact that it is an ARM netbook and has 10-15 hours battery life is worth considering IMO. Of course it isn't pocketable though :unsure:

15 hours on two batteries.
By my calculations, that's about 4 hours for each battery, where the EEE is only 1.5 to 2 hours a battery.

As for the keyboard, I actually had an old Compaq TC1000 that did the same thing, but is was really big and.. well, whatever.

'Bramrash' said:
Didn't someone ask about a detachable screen for the p&|a? Although it was only to turn it round so that it could fold down into a tablet mode, as all the stuff is in the base.
No, I don't know why I wanted to bring it up either...

Yo!

pre-orders now... shopping late may/june - where have I heard that before???

The best past about this is that it has to help with the software/OS development, even if it's a different product to the pandora, it's still the closest real product I've seen yet. Looks a bit big for my preference...

That thing is beautiful! :) I love the internal USB sticks. :D We should certainly cooperate with these guys when trying to get iPhone (and other) games ported. I probably won't get one as my Pandora does most of the things it has already but I'll certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a netbook. They should add dual analogs and gaming buttons instead of the useless touchpad, though. ;)

This is quite a good alternative to the Pandora

The desiign looks very similar to pandora processor wise and the two internal USB slots would be good for configuring internal storage/GPS/HSPDA the base 8GB plus storage via the two internal USB slots is good - in addition to the two external facing USB slots.

I can see some people trying to fit HD storage via usb (IPOD/SSD devices)

I like this, alot and am seriously thinking about cancelling my pandora order for something like this or an HTC Shift X9500.

I did look at WiBrain/OQO and other devices - but some were either too expensive or had not so good battery life.

At the moment this touch-book is really interesting me or an HTC Shift X9500 (a friend of mine has one with full blown WM6 in one config using PDA hardware and Ubuntu 8.04 running cleanly from hard drive)

I need a viable device soon, as I have shed loads of unix shell scripts to run - and hate using vmware cpu specific OSes and recompiling - the HTC can be bought quite cheap of e-bay - now I will probably get called a Touch-Book/HTC device.

I have looked at a few different devices, just cant make my mind at the minute - this tablet is great but the extra 100 dollars for a keyboard is a bit rich and knowing my luck - if I jumped ship now for this - it may be xmas before I see anything.

I keep looking around for something else as I need something quick

'lulzfish' said:
By my calculations, that's about 4 hours for each battery,
eh..?

Looks like a damn good idea to me and a great companion to the Pandora. If I had the money and were looking for a replacement laptop, I'd back that idea in a heartbeat.

I agree with OrR that it would be a good idea for Craig and co. to co-operate with these guys on some level. Both projects would benefit from it :)

'lulzfish' said:
By my calculations, that"s about 4 hours for each battery, where the EEE is only 1.5 to 2 hours a battery.
15/2=4?

Anyway, I would want one if it had a bit more RAM. The price is fairly low, and the removable tablet part could be good for a number of things. I have definitely filed the info away for future reference.

Looks pretty nice, but for $299 I think the :pandora1: is much more worth it.

'Username' said:
Looks pretty nice, but for $299 I think the pandora is much more worth it.
I would agree, but at this point I think we will see this tablet/netbook hybrid before we will see the Pandora.

CODE
http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50005371.html?tag=inside

apparently the tablet part is magnetic so you could stick it to a fridge or something. cool

Back