New Pandora, Need Help

zames007

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I've already posted this in the help forum but I'm getting no love there, so I'll ask here.

Whilst working out that I needed the power unplugged in order to shut down without restarting straight away, I've managed to disable networking and can no longer browse the web. I've enabled wireless at boot to see if that would spring it into action but it hasn't. The wireless LED is on so I presume thats OK, but clicking on the network connection on the taskbar just shows Networking disabled with no other options. Not sure what to do, any help please?

Yeah I've tried toggling the wifi, that was the first thing I did. It was after the problem that I enabled wifi at boot. Strangely though after it had been on charge most of the night networking was enabled and I could connect to my router, but starting it back up this morning I have the same issue, networking disabled with no other options??!

I once had a similar problem. If nothing else helps, try pulling out the battery for 10 mins. Seems to do wonders sometimes ;-)

Just tried to pull the battery and leave it for 10 minutes, still no change. But before pulling it,the battery was at about 92% after plugging back in it's started at 1%. The clock is now 18 minutes behind also.

Also worth mentioning no I think about it, charging the battery seems to take forever, over an hour, that can't be right can it?

Hi, It's normal to take a couple of hours to charge. It's because of the huge capacity of the battery.

If you removed the battery while the Pandora was on it could have shorted and it instantly discharges the battery. I have done this by mistake before and thought I had killed my Pandora. Leaving it plugged in for a while fixed it.

Never had a problem since, I always shutdown when removing the battery.

Try right clicking on network manager, I think there is an option to disable/enable there too :)

Can you click on networking disabled at all, I'm sorry I'm at work and don't have my Pandora with me I'll have a look when I get home at 6ish :)

I've not got my Pandora to hand right this minute, but what do you get with a left-click?

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring (I'll more than likely not be of help:p). if you click on the Pandora button then select Settings > Session and Startup, then click on the Application ssistant tab, there you can check and see if the Network Manager is selected or not. Maybe your wifi is working, but the Network Manager has been turned off?

OK, cannot click on the networking disabled box, it's greyed out.

Network Manager box is ticked under Application Autostart. Thanks for your suggestions guys...

I also looked up some network commands and have restarted the network using "sudo /etc/init.d/network restart" but still the same issue.. Starting to worry.

zames007 said:
OK, cannot click on the networking disabled box, it's greyed out.

Network Manager box is ticked under Application Autostart. Thanks for your suggestions guys...

I also looked up some network commands and have restarted the network using "sudo /etc/init.d/network restart" but still the same issue.. Starting to worry.

I have disabled networking on my Pandora, I turned it on by moving my cursor over the networking icon on the taskbar using my left nub. Then right clicked by sliding left on my right nub to bring up the context menu. There you can enable networking again.

If that does't work I'm not sure my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ho, and are you sure you're using lastest hotfix, as in previous version, once desactivated, the network could not be reactivated without a reboot. that a bug fixed in some hotfix.

mvickers03 tried that, there are no other options other that the greyed out Networking enabled. I only got my Pandora 4 days ago and it was working I could enable and disable but now nothing. Guessing that it already has hot fix 4 as don't they flash them with the latest and greatest before sending them out? I guess it can't hurt to reflash the firmware, I'll try that when I get home and see how that goes. Any other ideas?

I'm pretty sure they come with the first edition of the firmware. So applying the newest hotfix is something you should do.

OK, I've got it working, not sure how but I thought that the problem started initially when I was playing with the power switch. So I though maybe I had it on lock whilst disabling the network. So I tried locking it again and then tried various things which didn't work and then stabbed at the network icon furiously with the stylus, and 'Hey Presto' I was given the option to enable networking. I unlocked the Pandora, and restarted just to see if it was a fluke, and connected to my router straight away again, right clicking gives me my options back, so I'm back in the game (Hoorah). Not sure quite what was wrong there, but thanks for all you suggestions, it's good to know people are out there ready to help..

zames007 said:
OK, I've got it working, not sure how but I thought that the problem started initially when I was playing with the power switch. So I though maybe I had it on lock whilst disabling the network. So I tried locking it again and then tried various things which didn't work and then stabbed at the network icon furiously with the stylus, and 'Hey Presto' I was given the option to enable networking. I unlocked the Pandora, and restarted just to see if it was a fluke, and connected to my router straight away again, right clicking gives me my options back, so I'm back in the game (Hoorah). Not sure quite what was wrong there, but thanks for all you suggestions, it's good to know people are out there ready to help..

Yes it makes sense, I think you were LEFT clicking on the networking icon, you need to RIGHT click NOT LEFT click, stabbing at the icon got it working because if you hold the stylus down for 2 seconds it acts as a right click.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. I'm very glad you got it working either way :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I thought you hit the nail on the head mvickers03 but the problem (bug maybe) has come back. It seems to come and go but what I've noticed is the problem occurs after a restart, normally from a fair few hours 'off' time. The nubs are unresponsive hence why right clicking had no effect (nor does prolonged holds with the stylus), wifi is enabled at start but after restoring nub settings to default I then toggle wifi, which then says it's disabled but then connects and I have my network back. Other times that toggling the wifi doesn't work and so I right click the network and enable it that way. Like I say, it comes and goes and resolving it doesn't seem consistent, though I can get it working when the issue strikes now I know kinda whats going on. I'm sure it's not something I'm doing, but it does seem strange and no-one else has reported this. It's not a biggie, just a little irritating... Suggestions people??

In the end, did you install the latest hotfix? Im fairly certain that even new Pandoras do NOT ship with the latest hotfix.

Hotfix 4 is installed for definite now, I just reinstalled it to make sure and no change, I still have the same issue. It's clear now under what conditions the problem happens, it only occurs when I put the Pandora into low power mode (sliding the power switch to the right) and doesn't effect the unit when I shut down via the log out screen. After powering up out of low power mode it's 50/50 if the nubs work, if they don't I have to restore them to default in order to have right click available to me, if they work straight away I can just right click and enable the network. Can anyone replicate this on their Pandora?

Back