New Pandora owner? Make this thread your first stop.

ok lets start out simple, Whats one thing you want to do and we will go from there. Whats your favorite emulator, we can set that up first..

Are PNDs being placed in the right directories on the SD card? 

http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_PNDs#Where_do_.PNDs_Go.3F

Also a big new user mistake is trying to run the PND files directly by clicking on the PND files in the file explorer(Thunar). If PNDs are placed in the appropriate locations Icons will automatically pop up in the XFCE menu or Desktop. If you are using minimenu you may need to click on the refresh option for them to show.

Last edited by a moderator:
LT, I'm trying to run the NES emulator. I don't have a favorite, just the main one that is on the REPO Pandora page.

Trashy, yeah, that's the page I was going by when I was setting up folders and everything. I put the emulator in the 'desktop' folder, and nothing shows up. I place the rom in the 'app' folder, and I can't get it to play. Thank you guys for responding to my question so quick. This is driving me bonkers.

*edit*-- When I click on my SD card from the desktop (of the Pandora), the emulator is in the 'desktop' folder, the rom is in the 'app' folder. When I click on the rom itself, a window pops up showing me other applications to open it with...none of them being the emulator itself.

The Care and Feeding of your NAND page is no longer available, as PandoraPress.net is down.  I know I've read it once before, but I don't remember anything.  I have it in my mind to never install anything to the NAND, and to be very weary of ever touching it, so because I am likely soon to receive my Pandora I'd like a bit of advice on what not to do.

Also please.  I guess.

first off file associations are a bit wonky, they may be implemented better in the near future.. but for now just pretend they don't exist. You will need to load the ROM you want to use by running the emulator and choosing the ROM in the emulator's menu.

Did you create a pandora/appdata folder along with the other folders on your SD card? This is one of the most important directories, it's where config files and other files created by the applications are stored. Also to note a directory for the specific application you're running will be created automatically when you launch the application the first time. I usually put my Roms in the appdata directory generated.. for example SNES9x it creates a directory called something like this: pandora/appdata/snes9x4p, I created a directory called roms in that directory and put all my SNES roms there.

so in the 1st card (in first slot) and the top card icon on the desktop you need the folder called pandora, in that folder there has to 3 folders called appdata ,desktop, and menu . now download the nes emulator from the repo, now it should be a .pnd file. that goes in the menu folder to appear in the menu of your pandora (press the pandora button then emulators and the nes emulator should appear there) . if you were to put the nes pnd file in the desktop folder the emulator would appear on your desktop but not the menu.

most of the time an emulator will let you roam the cards for your roms but some will not and usually those emulators want the roms put in a specific folder in the appdata dir.

I put the .pnd file in the desktop folder before, and it wasn't there. I'm gonna try it now by putting the .pnd file into the 'menu' folder. I'll let you guys know what happens.

On the desktop I see, a home folder, PANDORA (the name of my SD card), Quickstart Guide, File System, and the Trash can. I click on the home folder, which brings me 'Applictions' and 'Desktop'. On the left, I see the home folder, 'Desktop', 'File system', and 'PANDORA' (sd card). When I click on the sd card, I got 'Apps', 'Desktop', 'menu' folders. When I click on the menu folder, the NES emulator is there, as a .pnd file. When I double click on it, nothing happens.....

push the pandora button (the middle button with the cube on it) find the nes emu in the emulator section .

it should be there.

I don't have a section listed as 'emulator section' :unsure:

I'm trying the PNDManger.... I just downloaded it, followed the directions, and that seemed to work. I can't figure out how to just simply get the NES emulator to work properly.

so what do you see when you start the nes emu?

and maybe you should try and restart your pandora, have you tried that?

Yeah, I tried to restart it. I can't even start the actual emu. I double click on it and nothing happens. I'm going to try and restart it again. The PNDManager downloaded, and launched fine. However, it doesn't show ANYTHING to download. So, I don't know what that's all about lol

create a folder in your pandora card called pandora . in that folder make sure you have the 3 folders appdata ,desktop, and menu .

so

sdcard

pandoara folder

appdata ,desktop, and menu folders

pnd files go in menu or desktop.

make sure that is exactly how it goes.

I think the issue is fixed. I confused myself by naming my sd card Pandora, and not having an actual folder titled Pandora. I was able to put the NES Emu on here, and Firefox as my browser. Now, If you would be so kind to tell me where to put the actual roms so I can play em?

And I'm assuming I do this for every emulator?

I actually put the emu in the apps folder. Should I switch it?

each emu and app is different, nes roms can probly go anywhere. you may have to read the docs for each app to know where to put roms etc. im pretty sure the nes emu has its own rom browser.

Man, it feels like I'm so close, yet so far! I got the Emulator up and running. But no matter where I put the rom, I can't play it. Does anyone know, specifically, where I can put the rom for the NES Emulator in order to play it?

there should be an option to load rom right from  in the emulator.

Back