New Post In Openpandora.org Blog!

I've taken the liberty of labeling everything that I could.

THIS IS JUST AN EDUCATED GUESS!!!

I'm pretty sure I'm correct on most of it.

Pic

Pic

You missed the mini - usb connecter, but cheers :)

Kevin_H said:

Just thought I'd let you know that there's no external ram or flash, so those guesses were completely wrong. I also doubt Michael has used a RS-232 level convertor (not everyone is going to use the uart, so it seems a bit daft to spend the cash on the convertor).

Also, does this thing fry fish? Just wondering about the "batter charge" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about the chips at all, but some other things that I haven't seen anyone point out, that I think are likely guesses:

- lower left, to the right of the volume dial is a power switch
- upper left and right corners are shoulder buttons
- connector to the right of USB host is power input

Squidge said:
Just thought I'd let you know that there's no external ram or flash, so those guesses were completely wrong. I also doubt Michael has used a RS-232 level convertor (not everyone is going to use the uart, so it seems a bit daft to spend the cash on the convertor).

There is external Ram and flash, I forgot the ram sits on top of the CPU, but if you look at the spec sheet for the OMAP, it doesn't have any internal Flash. So a flash chip is needed to store a kernel image or at least a simple SD card bootloader.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html

Second I believe that the RS-232 converter is for Debug and board bringup purposes, it will be removed once the design has been proven.

What I labeled as EXT Ram is most likely the LCD controller. (I thought the LCD controller was internal and the Ram was external, I probably should have looked at the spec sheet first for the OMAP)

Kevin_H said:
There is external Ram and flash, I forgot the ram sits on top of the CPU, but if you look at the spec sheet for the OMAP, it doesn't have any internal Flash. So a flash chip is needed to store a kernel image or at least a simple SD card bootloader.
My post wasn't phrased in the best way, by "external" I meant somewhere else on the board. Both ram and flash are actually on top of the omap (It's a combined ram+flash setup, not seperate chips for each).

Kevin_H said:
Second I believe that the RS-232 converter is for Debug and board bringup purposes, it will be removed once the design has been proven.
Now thats a possibility.

Kevin_H said:
What I labeled as EXT Ram is most likely the LCD controller. (I thought the LCD controller was internal and the Ram was external, I probably should have looked at the spec sheet first for the OMAP)
The LCD controller *is* internal. However, the omap can't drive an LCD directly, therefore a buffer is required.

Squidge said:
Kevin_H said:

Don't be too harsh on the guy, he's only tryna help us electronic noobs.

Squidge said:
My post wasn't phrased in the best way, by "external" I meant somewhere else on the board. Both ram and flash are actually on top of the omap (It's a combined ram+flash setup, not separate chips for each).
I didn't know that the flash was included in the ram chip, thats pretty sweet. The team is pretty lucky that this is TI's pet project otherwise parts like the RAM/FLASH chip and CPU would be pretty dam expensive in low quantities, if not impossible to get.

nice pixs :D on the blog

and @ Squidge congrats on being a new mod
hope you don't let the ban power temp you :p ;)

argor said:
nice pixs :D on the blog

Yeah, it all looks nice. I'm looking forward to seeing all of that silicon and plastic actually do something :D

(Oh, and congrats Squidgie.)

argor said:
I thought Squidge had a different avvy. But no one was mentioning that he was a mod, so I thought that maybe you could have that avvy and still not be a mod or something.

Congrats Squidge rule us watch over us with dignity

-God Ginrai

Nova said:
Don't be too harsh on the guy, he's only tryna help us electronic noobs.
Yup, I know. I just wanted to make sure people didn't get the idea that they could remove that chip and replace with a bigger one to get more memory.

As for the small square chip below the omap cpu, it should be one of these:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbu...templateId=6123

Back