2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

What if customers had the choice to order with or without silkscreening? Are they going to silkscreen all 10000 cases off the bat, or only those 4000 being assembled with boards?

I'm sure hardcore hardware modders couldn't care less about the silkscreening because let's face it, some of their mods may encroach on areas where there is silkscreening (like drilling an extra hole for a button, or jack, or even re-assigning the purpose of an existing jack) and that would make the overall mod look kinda bastardized, or inaccurate as to what it is indicating.

I for one want the silkscreening exactly for the reasons Yoyobuae and JoelOnSoftware.com collectively mention:

Yoyobuae said:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000057.html said:
The more you feel that you can control your environment, and that the things you do are actually working, the happier you are.

[blurb about frustrations piling up]

These things add up; these are the things that make us unhappy on a day-to-day basis. Even though they seem too petty to dwell on (I mean, there are people starving in Africa, for heaven's sake, I can't get upset about space bars), nonetheless they change our moods.
Taking this into account, what are the potential "small out of control" things (related to the silkcreen) that a Pandora user might experience?
  • *One of the LEDs is blinking/on/off* "What was that LED for again? I don't remember =("
  • "This is too loud, lets turn the volume down a bit, which way was down again?" *tries right* "argh my ears!!"
  • "Ok, now lets just put Pandora on HOLD mode" *move switch right* "No don't turn off you stupid @#%&!!!"
  • "Ok now I plug this USB keyboard into pandora" *doesn't work because it's USB 1.1* "Come on!!! detect the ·$·%&@ keyboard!!!"

And so on. While it is true that eventually memorizing this info will help, not having it on labels it doesn't make it any easier/less painful. Even if most users don't get too annoyed because of this kind of things, if it happens a lot it would be detrimental to the overall Pandora experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda funny reply, but ok.

DroneB Dev said:
i really didnt want to respond to this because of you not connecting information.

but ill explain , ill be always happy to help.

1) I NEVER said panda has optical drives, i made it as an example of if youre so sure left is 1 and right is 2, tell me if you can tell me on a STATION PC (as i stated) wich is the order of the optical drives?

If the Pandora doesn't have optical drives, your situation doesn't apply to it. Sure, the OP team could have been retarded and wired the #2 on left and #1 on right. That's what the user manual is for. That's what having the memory capacity of a mouse is for, to remember 'hay dis one is 1 and dis one is 2!!'.

Are you calling the OP team mentally handicapped, or saying the target demographics are more stupid than mice? I assure you, if you wire an electric shock to one button, and food to the other, the mouse is going to figure out after one-two attempts which button to press.

DroneB Dev said:
2) i Speak Spanish English and Mandarin Every single day, so tell me i do understand english, yet are you so sure ill take left as 1 and right as 2?, so you're so sure 1 always sit up and 2 is always down if the panda somehow had the slots vertically and not reversed??

I am bilingual as well, and as I've said before English is a second language. That doesn't automatically make me an idiot that can't figure out which slot does what.

DroneB Dev said:
3) it seems you havent ever heard of regional configurations, ill try to enligten you, when you use finnacial numbers, some use to write
$5.678,88 some do
$5,678.88 tell me what would have happened if Dow jones operator used the wrong representation? the same for dates!.
what does this have to do with the panda? not directly its more about to make you rethink what you posted.

I am very well educated on this matter, actually... BUT IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PANDORA. AT ALL. Your right vs left argument was a good one, as some cultures *will* think #1 is on the right. This statement is just as stupid as the hippo one I made.

Please remember these posts are not meant in a hostile way. I have a rather, argumentative, style. I love a good debate. I am probably not as mad/pissed off as I sound. If anything I've said has been offensive, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean it that way.

Gary13579 said:
Kinda funny reply, but ok.

DroneB Dev said:
i really didnt want to respond to this because of you not connecting information.

but ill explain , ill be always happy to help.

1) I NEVER said panda has optical drives, i made it as an example of if youre so sure left is 1 and right is 2, tell me if you can tell me on a STATION PC (as i stated) wich is the order of the optical drives?

If the Pandora doesn't have optical drives, your situation doesn't apply to it. Sure, the OP team could have been retarded and wired the #2 on left and #1 on right. That's what the user manual is for. That's what having the memory capacity of a mouse is for, to remember 'hay dis one is 1 and dis one is 2!!'.

Are you calling the OP team mentally handicapped, or saying the target demographics are more stupid than mice? I assure you, if you wire an electric shock to one button, and food to the other, the mouse is going to figure out after one-two attempts which button to press.

DroneB Dev said:
2) i Speak Spanish English and Mandarin Every single day, so tell me i do understand english, yet are you so sure ill take left as 1 and right as 2?, so you're so sure 1 always sit up and 2 is always down if the panda somehow had the slots vertically and not reversed??

I am bilingual as well, and as I've said before English is a second language. That doesn't automatically make me an idiot that can't figure out which slot does what.

DroneB Dev said:
3) it seems you havent ever heard of regional configurations, ill try to enligten you, when you use finnacial numbers, some use to write
$5.678,88 some do
$5,678.88 tell me what would have happened if Dow jones operator used the wrong representation? the same for dates!.
what does this have to do with the panda? not directly its more about to make you rethink what you posted.

I am very well educated on this matter, actually... BUT IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PANDORA. AT ALL. Your right vs left argument was a good one, as some cultures *will* think #1 is on the right. This statement is just as stupid as the hippo one I made.

Please remember these posts are not meant in a hostile way. I have a rather, argumentative, style. I love a good debate. I am probably not as mad/pissed off as I sound. If anything I've said has been offensive, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean it that way.
1) i didnt say anyone is handicapped, you did.
2) i didnt say that, you said it was about the 1 and 2 for sd both my statement is that they do the same and still can be confusing no matter what lang you speak., (on your response i infer now youre talking about the other "ports", well ive seen people jamming serial mouse on a ps2 port, and usb drives on apple laptop charging port)
3) still the same unglobal closed mind and you still dont seem to read it all before firing posts.
(if you still think thats nothing to do, then i believe you usually get hard times undestanding on metaphores and or connecting information)
ill try once more, here it goes.

are you aware that your way of thinking has taken several planes down to crashing? no? ill try again.
there was once a jet fuel/gas guy, who was ordered to load up a passenger plane, hey gimme 500 of fuel, just when the plane was in the middle of the pacific it crashed. why, you ask? well they ended up with no fuel.why they ended up with no fuel? well, he only loaded up 500 "POUNDS", but the travel required 500 "KILOS"
what was his answer? who uses KILOS to load up fuel everyone should use POUNDS!!.

to the note at the end, neither i am, but it sounds sarcasic. and i just love argumenting while theres no more to do,

darkblu said:
craigix said:
Black. Just black. Totally black. No text, no icons, nothing.

That's your special edition right there. What do you think?
i think it sounds good.
Black would be fine with me too. The main thing I really don't like about the silkscreen is the BT, it just seems out of place. The only other thing that stands out are the icons for the sd cards but they aren't to horrible. I love everything else on the silkscreen. I think just replacing the BT with something simple to iconify it a bit more would really please a majority of the people who seem to really hate it out there. Something as simple as this...

http://media.photobucket.com/image/bluetooth%20icon/joejoeimages/Bluetooth.png

Just a simple B in an oval would make it look more graphical...

*EDIT* Fixed spelling error

I'm sorry, but your arguments are fucking stupid. You're comparing the Pandora's silkscreening to weight conversions. You are making no sense at all, and to be blatant, are starting to look quite.. idiotic...

As such, I'm done.

Gary13579 said:
I'm sorry, but your arguments are fucking stupid. You're comparing the Pandora's silkscreening to weight conversions. You are making no sense at all, and to be blatant, are starting to look quite.. idiotic...

As such, I'm done.
Wow, rude much?

At least he's done. A commercial device, no matter how knowledgeable you assume the users of which are, needs to have some kind of labeling. Even though I'd prefer Kagato's designs and the '1' over First Batch, it looks better than nothing. And nobody can say that the designs ED put up were the will of the community, the poll had too much voter fraud.

Gary13579 said:

As such, I'm done.

XD, you keep puting words into my mouth, i never said it was about the panda, it was about your very first post for considering someone that
doestn think 1 should be ever and ever forever to the left and you end up saying someone/something reflecting the contrary would be nonsense.

the only one that has kept on badgering towards people was you. and yes i belive people that use rude words its because they ran out of words

fischju2000 said:
At least he's done. A commercial device, no matter how knowledgeable you assume the users of which are, needs to have some kind of labeling. Even though I'd prefer Kagato's designs and the '1' over First Batch, it looks better than nothing. And nobody can say that the designs ED put up were the will of the community, the poll had too much voter fraud.

IIRC they only found about 10 frauds, it still keeps "first Batch" option way above the 1 option

Democratics just doesnt work lets face it, and lets expect anything so the panda gets released quick!

Double Post, weird thing it posted the same twice, i thought flooding protect was enabled

It was 13, and now that we have two competing final looking designs (ED's and Kagato's) instead of theoretical ones, it should be re-polled.

oh cmon they have said several times it cannot be used due to the royalty/license over logo/font things

@DroneB Dev: I think the problem was that your arguments were essentially meta-arguments. You were arguing about ideas which clearly required far too much thinking for Gary13579 to handle.

I agree with Gary that regional differences really don't factor in to this at all. RTL languages are a minority and in a place like Japan everyone would be familiar enough with English and American culture to know that we write LTR even if they can't speak/read a single word.

With most electronics, the LEDs purely informational and don't seriously impact use of the product. Sure, it's nice to see the WiFi light blinking when you have a connection, but it's redundant with the network manager. It's nice to see the power LED on, but if the screens on then obviously the power is on. (And so on.) Also figuring out what each LED does is a pretty simple game of correlation. If one of them starts blinking when to shove an SD in, chance are they have some sore of connection (especially if you can reproduce the behavior). It doesn't take a long time to figure this stuff out and most of it is trivial enough to not seriously impact practical use of the device.

Besides, if you give a Pandora to someone who doesn't speak any English I think they'd have more trouble with all the software being in English than figuring out a few unlabeled LEDs.

Wow!
What has happened in the last 9 months I was away? These boards have always been a place with a high bickering rate, but this has gotten way out of hand. Wrap your small minded ego-jabbering in a PM and keep bandwith wasting to a minimum.
Pretty please.

DroneB Dev said:
XD, you keep puting words into my mouth, i never said it was about the panda, it was about your very first post for considering someone that
doestn think 1 should be ever and ever forever to the left and you end up saying someone/something reflecting the contrary would be nonsense.

Except the 1 and 2 are completely arbitrary and mean absolutely nothing, so the whole argument is pointless...

Gary13579 said:

As such, I'm done.
Quoth the tool, nevermore.

Gary13579 said:
Monk said:
Oh dear. When did I get old? :(

You're not old, I'm merely 20 and I recognized it. Amazing song, btw ;) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2VyquMAaM

Isn't it just? Stan has some taste :)

A slight divergeance - it isn't often someone on this forum types anything that's just nice. My thanks to you :D

WizardStan said:
rmm21 said:
This very minor silkscreen issue should be settled with a poll and then sent to the land of forgotten.
I disagree. OP has already made their decision, and they should stick by it. They've already taken user input into consideration. Why can't people just accept it if they didn't get their way?

Agreed. The decision was stated as having been made before this shipstorm even arose.

As to the sudden plunge into the depths of heated debate, where one side insisted on discussing issues Pandora related while the other insisted their posts weren't relevant to the Pandora yet should be taken seriously - wow. Just... wow.

Monk said:
A slight divergeance - it isn't often someone on this forum types anything that's just nice. My thanks to you :D

Yeah, I need to apologize for my actions earlier today. I've been sick all day (symptoms of strep so far) and as such haven't been able to smoke/take caffeine. I get very edge.

I'm sorry, Drone. Agree to disagree?

WizardStan said:
OP has already made their decision, and they should stick by it.

I thought it might still be up in the air according to the two posts by Craig in this thread. If the nails in the coffin then this thread should be locked.

Tuxedomask29 said:
The main thing I really don't like about the silkscreen is the BT, it just seems out of place. The only other thing that stands out are the icons for the sd cards but they aren't to horrible. I love everything else on the silkscreen. I think just replacing the BT with something simple to iconify it a bit more would really please a majority of the people who seem to really hate it out there.

Agreed those are the two things that look out of place.

mali said:
What has happened in the last 9 months I was away? These boards have always been a place with a high bickering rate, but this has gotten way out of hand. Wrap your small minded ego-jabbering in a PM and keep bandwith wasting to a minimum.
Pretty please.

Where the hell have you been? On maternity leave? Hanging out on Mount Olympus?

Mild bickering is how we got the Pandora to be colored black instead of icy white. ;)

Gary13579 said:
Yeah, I need to apologize for my actions earlier today. Agree to disagree?

Nothing wrong with debating. If we all thought and said the same thing it would sound like a Gregorian chant. :)

rmm21 said:
Where the hell have you been? On maternity leave? Hanging out on Mount Olympus?

Mild bickering is how we got the Pandora to be colored black instead of icy white. ;)

Mild bickering is ok and often fruitful, but one-man or two-men shows are just annoying ;)

Back