Thrill And Suspense : New Blog From Ed

hch said:
it would be criminal to produce 4000 boards without being sure you will get fitting cases.
I wouldn't mind getting all the parts without the case. I don't need the nubs, keyboard and Dpad, either.
I would make my own stainless steel Pandora slate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
MDave said:
Open Pandora havn't been predicting dates when we'll get our Pandora's[...]Only recently they have been sure we'll see some of them shipped before Xmas IF everything goes to plan.

You clearly missed the "I'm prepared to say July" or the "The first units will ship in October" posts...

Or the post hoping to get Pandoras shipped by LAST Christmas? Or... :(

StalkS said:
New dev Blog

Quote:

Your all waiting for more shiny case pictures, right? Well... we all are.
However, I did make a fault with my last blog post - as the pictures had been released, I assumed the shipment to Michael was on the way. It isn't yet - sorry about that, I was so excited about that myself, I really thought it was on the way.

The reason the cases are not yet on the way to Michael is that one mould still had a problem with the shrinking. What's that, you might ask? Well, due to the big heat and cooling off afterwards, the material shrinks a bit - and if the mould is not perfectly adjusted, it doesn't fit 100% or will look ugly.
To adjust it perfectly it has to be done a bit via a trial and error method: Check where the shrinking occurs, change the mould there, try again, etc.
It's nothing major and no problem at all, it's a normal process in mould creation and shouldn't take more than a couple of days. We're still trying to ship as many as possible before christmas!

I thought I'd just let you know :)

Back to some got news: The board production is still going fine. Everything is ready for the big run, it looks like there won't be any delay here, yeeha.

As there was a discussion about suspend, etc. going on at the boards: We're working on a temporary solution as REAL suspend to RAM is pretty complicated and will definately take a while. Therefore, we include as much power saving functions as possible to make it similar to suspend. It's basically the same way mobile phones and PDAs do work (they don't suspend, otherwise you couldn't get a phone call). With proper power management, this standby mode should long about 10 days until you need to recharge the battery, so that should be fine enough.
Of course, you can always shut the system down completely so it won't need any more power at all :)

That's it for today, let's hope the shrinkage will be fixed really soon! :)

EvilDragon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess it must be the top cover and bottom section which are shrinking as we did not get to see any photos of those pieces. They'll get there in the end ;)

StalkS
Doesn't linux already have a suspend to disk function? Why would that have to be recreated?

"Suspend to disk" is easy, but not necessarily very useful here. What discussed here is "Suspend to RAM". This is actually a very board specific action. In addition to the generic Linux stuff, which is supported, you need to put the DRAM into auto refresh mode and power down everything (CPU, radios, etc.) on the board, except for something that can wake the CPU up - like the RTC or a button.

christo930 said:
Doesn't linux already have a suspend to disk function? Why would that have to be recreated?
Every module (ie, driver basically) needs to be able to shut down and restarted without issue. Maybe the x86 modules are able to do this, but the OMAP has a whole new set of hardware with all new drivers that need to be tested.

Re: suspend, this post is a good read:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50531-firmware-testing/page__st__40__p__776315&#entry776315

:)

Ok so another small (Hopefully) delay. Looking like the end of january now though if you ask me but it would be awesome to atleast get everything sorted and running by christmas if not some finished :(

@Gruso- No unofficial blog treatment for the recent official blog post? Good news only basis? I'm not sure I understand the shrinkage aspect. When is it that the pieces shrink, ie. what conditions?

fretfrenzy182 said:
@gruso- No unofficial blog treatment for the recent official blog post? Good news only basis?
Not at all, I've just been out getting :wacko: on the world's greatest harbour for two days. I'll be blogging shortly.

Gruso said:
fretfrenzy182 said:
@gruso- No unofficial blog treatment for the recent official blog post? Good news only basis?
Not at all, I've just been out getting :wacko: on the world's greatest harbour for two days. I'll be blogging shortly.

Gruso, that's excellent news. Enjoy!

Jumpman

Gruso said:
Lucky bugger. Beautiful weather. 34 and fine up here today and I'm stuck babysitting.

puppydee said:
Ok so another small (Hopefully) delay. Looking like the end of january now though if you ask me but it would be awesome to atleast get everything sorted and running by christmas if not some finished :(

and then it will be "looking like early feb.."

Back