New Video : Pandora: Things To To When You're Not Playing

rabidpoobear said:
Hey ED, I'll look into optimization over the next week (spring break). I'm surprised Phil made an unoptimized game! Oh, I see, it was for Pyweek. That explains it. Phil's normally a stickler for optimized code, but he's pretty busy with Galcon these days. Kinda sad, he was really into the pygame community for a while. Makes sense though since he's trying to make a living now...

Anyway I'll take a look at it and see what I can do. So all you changed was the resolution, right?

Off topic...

but I recently discovered 'Galcon' thought it was an excellent game (I think there is an Ipod and flash version as well)

End of Offtopic pointlessness

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding PyGame stuff, I tried Mega Man 2: Puzzle Attack on my main box earlier (the download has been missing for ages, and it's now back, so I was finally able to get hold of it).

It's basically a time-attack version of Tetris, based on Mega Man 2, and featuring that game's "weapons" (pressing F1 through to F9 lets you pick from the ones you've got, including your default one which is F5, and it changes the colours of the blocks - some bosses are weak to other bosses' weapons, but some are invincible to certain weapons).

As the comment attached to the entry notes, you need to change one line to read something else on Linux and Unix-like systems, but after that it works fine. :p

I'm looking forward to trying this one on my Pandora. :D

rabidpoobear said:
EvilDragon said:
After changing those two things, it was fully playable - but slooow.
Unfortunately, the game engine is VERY unoptimized (it even says in the sourcecode that it's unoptimized ;) ). It needs a lot of CPU power (I know it ran on the gp2x with about 1 frame per second).
As I can't code at all, I couldn't change the game engine, just sped up the movement of all the sprites.
This makes it a bit more choppier, but still playable.

If someone can optimize the engine, that would rock.
Hey ED, I'll look into optimization over the next week (spring break).

Aren't you supposed to drink beer and have fun in Florida for "spring break"?
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
EvilDragon said:
After changing those two things, it was fully playable - but slooow.
Unfortunately, the game engine is VERY unoptimized (it even says in the sourcecode that it's unoptimized ;) ). It needs a lot of CPU power (I know it ran on the gp2x with about 1 frame per second).
As I can't code at all, I couldn't change the game engine, just sped up the movement of all the sprites.
This makes it a bit more choppier, but still playable.

If someone can optimize the engine, that would rock.
Hey ED, I'll look into optimization over the next week (spring break). I'm surprised Phil made an unoptimized game! Oh, I see, it was for Pyweek. That explains it. Phil's normally a stickler for optimized code, but he's pretty busy with Galcon these days. Kinda sad, he was really into the pygame community for a while. Makes sense though since he's trying to make a living now...

Anyway I'll take a look at it and see what I can do. So all you changed was the resolution, right?

Cool :) Thanks!

Yeah, all I did was change the resolution and the button config, but that's all in the constants-Sourcefile, so they can be exchanged on the fly.
Oh, and I did hide the mouse cursor in main.py, but that's just one line :)

The rest I did was just changing the movement values which sped things up but made things a bit choppier.
No need if the engine would be faster :)

BTW: I ported Angry, Drunken Dwarves yesterday. Fully working, changed everything so that it looks nice on 800x480 :)

Last edited:
Back