Omap Dev Kit Playing A Video

DJWillis said:
I doubt it is either of them. I am guessing Final Burn (Alpha?) but Squidge could confirm.
Hum it looked like some Raiden derivative. I am not sure Final Burn emulates RaidenHW.
As you said only Squidge could tell. And if he uses xmame I really think he should stop :p

Last edited by a moderator:
That's DonPachi.

Great SHMUP. Undoubtedly running via FBA (since Squidge mentioned FBA in the past), and it's in FBA's supported games list.

Cave 1st Generation Hardware

Main CPU : MC68000 (@ 16 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Z80 [Optional]
Sound Chips : YMZ280B (@ 16.9344 Mhz) or OKIM6295 x (1 or 2) + YM2203 / YM2151 [Optional]
Other : 93C46 EEPROM

Screen orientation : Vertical
Video resolution : 240 x 320 pixels
Screen refresh : 57.55 Hz
Palette colors : 2048

Not terribly demanding hardware for Pandora to emulate, but that's not the point at this stage of course.

Wonderful to see the dev board running, thanks Squidge. So far so good.

Is there a reason why you didn't post this video until now (I think this is the first shot of the OMAP Dev Kit?)? Was it NDA reasons?

Prophet said:
Main CPU : MC68000 (@ 16 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Z80 [Optional]
Sound Chips : YMZ280B (@ 16.9344 Mhz) or OKIM6295 x (1 or 2) + YM2203 / YM2151 [Optional]
Other : 93C46 EEPROM

Not terribly demanding hardware for Pandora to emulate, but that's not the point at this stage of course.

That's a 16MHz 68k, which is something supposing the code's not optimized (ie: quick port of a pure C emulator).

Show it to us with sound :)

(so we can tell you're not cheating and not emulating the sound chips ;) )

JerryG20 said:
Is there a reason why you didn't post this video until now (I think this is the first shot of the OMAP Dev Kit?)? Was it NDA reasons?
You could say that.

Show it to us with sound

Sound comes through head phones, so thats difficult to get the camera to pick up.

Squidge said:
Sound comes through head phones, so thats difficult to get the camera to pick up.

Well, I believe you must have some speakers lying around there somewhere. Unless the phones are hard-wired to the board, which would be rather odd.

JakeK said:
So what exactly does this mean? (Seriously)
It means that Squidge has the video drivers sorted out enough to display video. It also means that the CPU can handle smooth video playback while slightly underclocked. That part isn't terribly impressive, but the MPlayer port was quick and dirty, and doesn't use any of the video hardware or DSP, which are specifically designed for efficient video decoding. You can't expect Squidge to re-write half of MPlayer just for a tech demo ;)

It might be more impressive if we knew what codec the video was encoded with. If that's h.264 video playing smoothly at only 500MHz with no hardware help, then that would be seriously wow-worthy.

We've been asking for updates, no matter how small. This is one of those updates. It's not huge news, but it is nice to see how everything is coming along.

JakeK said:
So what exactly does this mean? (Seriously)
Well, it means a lot actually. For one thing, it means the Pandora hardware is real and that it works. All that's missing from that video is the plastic shell and other external parts.

As said, it takes Pandora one big step closer to reality, and away from the inevitable vaporware moniker.

Yeah I couldn't agree with you more chip. We'll see more stuff as time rolls on. I'm still waiting on the OpenGL ES 2.0 book to come in, I know one of them won't hit until July.

The game was "Donpachi". It's 16 MHz 68000-based with a Z80 coprocessor, so that's pretty high end compared to the stuff that runs in the current GP2X mame build that's Z80 based. 68000 based stuff like aero fighters/sonic wings has trouble approaching 60 FPS even with heavy overclocking on the 2x... so big improvements. Donpachi looked like a smooth consistent framerate at or near the full ~58 fps.

edit: fuck beaten

Tinnus said:
Well, I believe you must have some speakers lying around there somewhere. Unless the phones are hard-wired to the board, which would be rather odd.
I have some speakers connected to the TV downstairs, and also the hi-fi. My PC doesn't have any speakers however, which is why I use the same pair of headphones for the dev board.

Chip said:
It might be more impressive if we knew what codec the video was encoded with. If that's h.264 video playing smoothly at only 500MHz with no hardware help, then that would be seriously wow-worthy.
It's Xvid. I shall look for a H264 encoder and try one of those. I really need to comment out my frame blitting code too, as thats wildly inefficient.

Blah said:
Well its the same SoC but it's not the same board or screen.
We can't even be sure it's the same SoC. It could very well be a 3430.

Squidge : what is your devkit ? the OMAP 3430 with Virtual Platform ?
i'm very curious of condition of yours videos :p

well i see some prices , it's very cost money :blink:

it is possible to connect OMAP with the GPU3D on your dev board or just emulate with the Virtual Platform ? (maybe you have not VPOM :unsure: )

Thanks for your work B)

Back