Dosbox And .pnd-File Video ... Posted!

relapse808 said:
Another huge LBA fan here. I would really love to see LBA2 on the pandora. I doubt dosbox has the power to do it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/twin-e/

Maybe this would be possible to port to pandora but I am not sure.

Seems to be based on LBA1. LBA2 is completely in 3D, I guess a completely different engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
jb0yx said:
Look around, there are still plenty of good games for download directly from their site.
Are they games that they're legally allowed to redistribute?

they seem to get by on the "innocent till proven guilty" trying to contact every developer and publisher I'm sure could be a pain, expecially if they've been out of buisness for many many years.

Seeing how they've been around for so long and not once have been shut down (specifically because of content, not because of semi-dead project) this appears to be working method.

There is freeware, and software with their source code opened to public on that site as well. The titles that are still licenced and redistributed and haven't been taken off their website are probally the closest thing to abandonware that you're gonna find (dev's and publishers just don't give a crap anymore; as a simple email from a publisher would have content removed) The website's popularity from way back when should have for certain sent some flags up somewhere if anyone cared.

legal? technically no, but they share the same internet morality as console emulators imo

Difference being console emulation doesn't have any legal problems associated with it, since it's not copyright infringement. In fact the idea of emulation has some significant legal protection to it. The only problem with emulators is if they're distributed with copyrighted code from a console (you may have had to have owned the console at the time, I'm not too clear on the specifics).
You'd better hope nobody besides you considers emulators morally equivalent to outright piracy.

At any rate, I really can't think of a reason why the site was even linked in here. For emulation links of the legal sort there's this Ancient Thread Not To Be Revived. (note that jb0yx's link was already removed from that thread too).

Paradox said:
not in america, anyway. america isn't the whole world remember. contrary to what some people think.
It does, however, have major a influence on global copyrights system.
*sigh* I think you'd have to show me jurisdictions where "abandonware" is recognized. But I really don't want this to descend further into another copyrights/roms/legal/morality rant thread (too late?).

Link has been removed so discussion is over. I call it: Discussing things to death. Rarely the best solution. Technically they don't provide links as I already posted above, so someone should sue someone else, not that site. Or sue anyone who has a link to google somewhere :rolleyes:
I'm pretty indifferent regarding that abandonware stuff, but I appreciate that people save those old titles from oblivion.

Back to the interesting stuff :)

I couldn't wait any longer, at least not for my Pandora to arrive. I got DOSBox installed and Xpadder setup so now I can play LBA on my 32" LCD with a PS2 controller.

That worked great, after I figured out how to adjust the volume in XP. Laying there comfortable in my sofa with a controller in hand looking at a big screen is how it should be played!

Warcraft 2 is definately playable; back a year ago, one of the first things I did when I received the dev pcb was fire up WC2 and Dune 2, and played through a level in each. So yes, those are good :)

jeff

Guys can some please explain how I mount say Blackthrone game with the front end having issues?

Displays '/mnt/tmp/dosbox/.dbox/black t.conf' config file not found

Also how do you change cycles in Dosbox?

Thanks

Josh

IIRC, dflemstr ported a frontend to change settings. Is it not included in the PND?

woot, I'm at the right place for the necro party? :ph34r:

^ Sorry, I've got no clue, I thought the frontend would be included. It's best to Wait for Jeff or Pickle to answer. Maybe you should open an own thread in the help section.

mali said:
^ Sorry, I've got no clue, I thought the frontend would be included. It's best to Wait for Jeff or Pickle to answer. Maybe you should open an own thread in the help section.

Yea it's included but it's not working properly.

@The guys who can't save in DOSBoxFE, what format are your SD Cards in? My main card is ext2, and I've had no issues with saving, there.

Ask Pickle :)

I never used the frontend myself, just edited the autoexec sectiokn of the conf to mount my iso's and directories and away I went.

If the FE is borked, he can make a new pnd that'll sort it out. He's got a lot of ports, so just keep reminding him :)

jeff

Prometheus said:
@The guys who can't save in DOSBoxFE, what format are your SD Cards in? My main card is ext2, and I've had no issues with saving, there.

I'm using FAT32. Might be worth feeding back to Pickle that it seems to be a filesystem issue.

Pleng said:
Prometheus said:

I'm using FAT32. Might be worth feeding back to Pickle that it seems to be a filesystem issue.

ill get this pnd sorted this weekend

awesome. don't forget that keymaps aren't being saved (at least on FAT32 - Prometheus are keymaps being saves on ext?) either! :)

Pleng said:
awesome. don't forget that keymaps aren't being saved (at least on FAT32 - Prometheus are keymaps being saves on ext?) either! :)

i dont think it has anything to do with the filesystem, most likely cause of missing folders in the appdata/dosbox

Pleng said:
Prometheus are keymaps being saves on ext?
I'm afraid I can't comment on this - I use DOSBox's own keymapper for this, which saves when you tell it to (but requires a bit of moving the window around to reach the save button). :p

Back