Pandora Os Snippet 3

borgqueenx said:
Show on desktop or menu....no other options? I wanna have like a emulator folder, a game folder and all apps on desktop - sorted on my own way. For example put gimp in the top right corner.

Well, since the system creates standard Linux .desktop files when you insert the SD Card, they are automatically categorized in the menu. So games will be in games, etc.

But you can do whatever you wish with those .desktop files or let them appear in a different folder.

Last edited:
Thank you for another incredible video guys. Everything looks so polished.

EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:
Show on desktop or menu....no other options? I wanna have like a emulator folder, a game folder and all apps on desktop - sorted on my own way. For example put gimp in the top right corner.

Well, since the system creates standard Linux .desktop files when you insert the SD Card, they are automatically categorized in the menu. So games will be in games, etc.

But you can do whatever you wish with those .desktop files or let them appear in a different folder.
So when i drag one icon to the top right corner and one to a folder, it saves those settings? So that i can remove and replug the sd card everything will still be the way i want?
Anyways nice to hear, it will work like windows shortcut files then?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we just wait until MW gets the new cases and see what happens. So far despite my best intentions, December has been crazy busy at work. So time is flying by for me. January will be a interesting month.

Another fantastic vid ED, good job :)

I have a question though, can we load up emus from the desktop, or do we have to use PMenu or load from shell like Craig did in his video?

Awesome video, thanks Ed.

I do have a couple questions, the way I would like .pnds to work is to have all of my games/apps on the menu and then a couple of my favorites on the desktop. Would I be able to create a shortcut (symlink? I'm a little bit a linux noob...) to make this work?

Also, if I decided to install a different OS, like Ubuntu for example, would I be able to make use of .pnd files? Would it be as simple as installing a couple of libraries?

Thanks again, I am very excited!! :D

You can almost feel it.

Well, there's more than one video for you today. I just filmed another one which shows some closeups of the Pandora prototype and also demonstrates how well the keyboard and DPAD is working.

I dedicate this video to no_skill (aka oneup), one of the first community members of the gp32x.de boards. He was a very talented young man. Besides giving various nice games to the community like Spout or Super Mario War, he also has been known as a very nice and friendly guy, always helping where he could (that's why he also achieved the GP Guru status at the boards).

It's very sad he took his life yesterday. I think he would've loved the Pandora - as he did like the GP32 and the GP2X. I sincerely do hope he's feeling better now - whereever he may be.

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dD6gytB1iw8[/media]

A second blog post/video with dpad and keyboard use.

R.I.P no_skill :( .

jonlad1 said:
Another fantastic vid ED, good job :)

I have a question though, can we load up emus from the desktop, or do we have to use PMenu or load from shell like Craig did in his video?

Craig only had to load them from the shell, because they haven't been compiled for the use of our latest image yet but for our testing image.
And MAME didn't have a GUI so he had to enter the name of the game ;)

As soon as the devs release polished version of the emulators, you can easily run them.

PMenu and XFCE (the desktop) are fully compatible. Each .PND that does work from PMenu will also work from the Desktop and vice versa.

shadow.8 said:
I do have a couple questions, the way I would like .pnds to work is to have all of my games/apps on the menu and then a couple of my favorites on the desktop. Would I be able to create a shortcut (symlink? I'm a little bit a linux noob...) to make this work?

You don't need to create shortcuts.

For example, if you'd like to have SNES9x and Quake 3 on the desktop and SuperTux and Gianas Return in the menu:
All you'd need to do here is put SNES9x.pnd and Quake3.pnd into /pandora/apps/ and Supertux.pnd and giana.pnd into /pandora/apps/menu/

All four programs would appear in the menu but only SNES9x and Quake 3 would appear on the desktop.

Last edited:
craigix said:
NLS said:
Like the style and quality of the videos. No more shabby noodle-infested videos made in a dark cellar with a handheld camera to scare off potential future customers :lol:

Oh I can assure you there will be more of those.

We keep all areas of society happy.

great to see more videos - but i have one *small* request;

can you quit with the 1980's infomercial music ?

:)

great video, terrible news.

bittersweet...

I loved the d pad action, it looks like controlling the os is gonna be smooth and easy. Can't wait.

My prayers go out to no_skill's family.

Yes, thats very sad news ED. :(

How is the D pad ED? you think it'll be durable enough for hardened Street Fighter veterans?

The newer video is really nice :)
It shows the good quality of controls/keyboard very well!

Sorry to hear about oneup/no_skill sounds like he was a really great guy. My condolences to his friends and family, it's terrible news.

Video looks nice, thank you all for continuing to show us more and more, it's looking very promising now, can't wait to get my grubby hands on it (like everyone else)

Small comment. Is it just me or does the case have a line across the lid? is that a pre-produciton issue again? Also the screw holes that were vandalised in Canada appear to be visible on ED's prototype as well, what's the story there?

Oh no, thats awful news! :( My Deepest condolences to oneup/no_skill's friends and family.

ablufia said:
i have one *small* request;

can you quit with the 1980's infomercial music ?

:)

Nooooooooo ;) That adds to the retroness!

Awesome video, albeit with sad news. :( I don't think I've ever read anything from no_skill, but one man down is one man too many.

Fantastic videos ED, and a worthy dedication. Rest in peace no_skill.

[edit] Don't mess with the background music. :p It's not very hip (it's quite amusing actually) but I think it's doing the job it's supposed to be doing. Soothing, corporate presentation styles. People really respond well to these videos.

It's nice to see that you can also use the d-pad to control the gui with. How about the analog stick? There were talk about, that you'll be able to control the arrow with the anolog stick.

Gruso said:
[edit] Don't mess with the background music. :p It's not very hip (it's quite amusing actually) but I think it's doing the job it's supposed to be doing. Soothing, corporate presentation styles. People really respond well to these videos.

+1 - I didnt think that anything could make ED's vids better!

Gruso said:
Don't mess with the background music. :p It's not very hip (it's quite amusing actually) but I think it's doing the job it's supposed to be doing. Soothing, corporate presentation styles. People really respond well to these videos.

Agreed, I quite like it actually.

jonlad1 said:
How is the D pad ED? you think it'll be durable enough for hardened Street Fighter veterans?

Hard to say, as I can't play Street Fighter with any sticks or pads (I'm not into fighting games and can't memorize combos :D)
But it feels very good and should be very sturdy.

pstudio said:
It's nice to see that you can also use the d-pad to control the gui with. How about the analog stick? There were talk about, that you'll be able to control the arrow with the anolog stick.

Yes, that will be possible - but it's not implemented yet ;)

Last edited:
Back