Omap Dev Kit Playing A Video

Ok, so what we need to do is take some pictures when the background is really dark, so nobody knows what dev board is behind and then say that was an uncased Pandora. Yeah, that should work.

;)

Squidge said:
Ok, so what we need to do is take some pictures when the background is really dark, so nobody knows what dev board is behind and then say that was an uncased Pandora. Yeah, that should work.

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

too good

for me is a good work Squidge and thanks for video :)

[edit]

i prefer see a dev board kit because that tell us than Squidge Craig MWeston are serious men ( i hope) who works with professionnal tools :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this is an OK topic to add this to, but will this version of MPlayer be able to decode AC3? I'm not looking for AC3 output at all, but I'm wondering if one could successfully play a video file (say XVID) with AC3 audio - and get at least stereo sound.

A large percentage of my video collection has AC3 audio - and I typically use an Archos 504 (with purchased plug-in) to play those files. Would this be at all possible with the Pandora?

Squidge said:
Don't know, I'd have to try a suitable file and see.
Cool. Let me know if you need a sample. But I think you'll find that it's really common. I'd say half of my downloaded videos use AC3 audio.

Yes, it supports AC3, and still works fine with just pure ARM code.

MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.0 © 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: ARM

Playing XXXXXXXXXX.avi.
AVI file format detected.
[aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
[aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
VIDEO: [XVID] 720x384 24bpp 23.976 fps 437.4 kbps (53.4 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
No accelerated resampler found
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 448.0 kbit/29.17% (ratio: 56000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [a52] afm: liba52 (AC3-liba52)
AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 384 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.88:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
[swscaler @ 0x7b680c]No accelerated colorspace conversion found
[swscaler @ 0x7b680c]SwScaler: using unscaled yuv420p -> bgr565 special converter
VO: [fbdev] 720x384 => 720x384 BGR 16-bit

I'm actually considering getting a nokia n800 partially for portable videos (mplayer) as well as the internet functions. (flash 9 support is a selling point for me)

However, after some research, i found out that the n800 can't play videos at anything near its native resolution (800x480, just like the pandora.) Thus, i'm now considering the pandora as a possible route for me, especially since it has gaming capabilities. Does anyone know if the pandora's hardware will be powerful enough to play H.264 videos from mkv containers at its native resolution of 800x480? (or possibly even higher) I would really like to be able to play my videos without too much converting, and the built in tv-out function would be killer with higher res videos.

Yea, they're talking about 720p videos (isn't that the number) IIRC. Of course, I could just be wrong again like that emulation rule of thumb ordeal, but I could swear I heard the word "HD" a few times. :)

bertbusdriver said:
Does anyone know if the pandora's hardware will be powerful enough to play H.264 videos from mkv containers at its native resolution of 800x480? (or possibly even higher) I would really like to be able to play my videos without too much converting, and the built in tv-out function would be killer with higher res videos.
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is also yes, but it comes with a heaping helping of technical info that I only half understand. Basically the Cortex A8 by itself would probably not be able to handle high bitrate h.264 video. Luckily the OMAP3530 has a very powerful DSP which is specifically designed to do stuff like decode digital video. The benchmark I linked to shows that with the CPU runing at about 300MHz and the DSP running at about 600MHz, they were able to decode 720x480 h.264 video encoded at 1.5Mbps with plenty of processor time to spare.

The caveat here is that a quick port of MPlayer (or any video player) does not use the DSP at all. It will take some programming work to create a video player that uses the DSP when appropriate. Once done, this will not only allow h.264 playback but also significantly reduce the demand on the CPU when playing back all video. By slowing down the CPU and letting the more efficient DSP do video decoding you reduce the power draw and lengthen battery life.

Chip said:
bertbusdriver said:
Does anyone know if the pandora's hardware will be powerful enough to play H.264 videos from mkv containers at its native resolution of 800x480? (or possibly even higher) I would really like to be able to play my videos without too much converting, and the built in tv-out function would be killer with higher res videos.
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is also yes, but it comes with a heaping helping of technical info that I only half understand. Basically the Cortex A8 by itself would probably not be able to handle high bitrate h.264 video. Luckily the OMAP3530 has a very powerful DSP which is specifically designed to do stuff like decode digital video. The benchmark I linked to shows that with the CPU runing at about 300MHz and the DSP running at about 600MHz, they were able to decode 720x480 h.264 video encoded at 1.5Mbps with plenty of processor time to spare.

The caveat here is that a quick port of MPlayer (or any video player) does not use the DSP at all. It will take some programming work to create a video player that uses the DSP when appropriate. Once done, this will not only allow h.264 playback but also significantly reduce the demand on the CPU when playing back all video. By slowing down the CPU and letting the more efficient DSP do video decoding you reduce the power draw and lengthen battery life.

wow! thanks for the detailed explanation. Now i am very excited for the pandora and have decided against buying the nokia n800. This hardware is a lot stronger than i thought. :D

Quick question, what about games that will require the long height of the screen? Just like the Final Burn video. Would it be easy to turn the pandora sideways or something?

lobski said:
Quick question, what about games that will require the long height of the screen? Just like the Final Burn video. Would it be easy to turn the pandora sideways or something?
Some forum members - the ones that donated to the project early on - got a full scale cardboard mockup as a reward. Trooper posted some pics that shows it is possible, if a little weird.

Chip said:
lobski said:
Some forum members - the ones that donated to the project early on - got a full scale cardboard mockup as a reward. Trooper posted some pics that shows it is possible, if a little weird.

That looks really awkward :unsure:

Squidge said:
Yes, it supports AC3, and still works fine with just pure ARM code.
Wow, that's awesome. And really boosted the possibility that I'll get one . . .I'm so tempted now. The only thing that a PMP has on this is the ability to record from TV. Which I hardly ever do anyway.

Since PMP's are so expensive, this should be used as a major selling point.

Thanks for checking that Squidge.

lobski said:
That looks really awkward :unsure:
You will still have the option of holding the Pandora normally and having the video rotated and plliarboxed. This is built into MAME and probably other emulators that deal with virtical display games. The high resolution of the Pandora LCD means that you won't be losing any detail, the viewable display will just be smaller.

Chip said:
Some forum members - the ones that donated to the project early on - got a full scale cardboard mockup as a reward.
Er, I'm pretty sure it was for donating to that charity thing Craig was in, not the project itself. Just setting the record straight. :)

lobski said:
usb gamepad+duct tape==problem solved
:)
seriously tho, arcade emulators should have the option of 90 degree rotation, even tho the scaling would be a bit weird, and you would have black bars on the sides...

Back