Newcomer Hard Questions!

fargo

Hi,

I'm new here and thinking of buying a GP2X. I would appreciate if someone answers my questions before actually getting one.

1) Is it true that no new games are available for GP2X; only old, outdated, and abandonware?
2) Can the volumes of sound and music be separately adjusted for games?
3) Does TV-Out work for all games? How does the picture look like on the TV screen?
4) Is the console powerful enough to have available games "playable"?
5) Is there a timer in the device for tracking files changes, reporting date, etc.?
6) Shall I wait for XGP, wait for a newer version, or get PSP instead?

Thank you :)

1) Is it true that no new games are available for GP2X; only old, outdated, and abandonware?
Vektar & Payback are commercial games (new)

Yes, most emulators have volume control.

3) Does TV-Out work for all games? How does the picture look like on the TV screen?
No, and I don't know, since I don't have a working TV-out cable.

Yes.

5) Is there a timer in the device for tracking files changes, reporting date, etc.?
No

I should be a bastard and tell you "Just get a PSP, since you didn't bother reading our stickied topics & FAQ before asking questions that have been answered 10,000 times already" ... but you caught me on a good day :)

You're Welcome

I bought one, and lent it to 2 friends, each of which are buying it.

The important questions are...
will you be happy enough with full-speed snes, genesis, turbographics-16, nes....

If you want 3d racing, 3d fighting, and that newest mario, Nintendo DS or PSP.

I play neogeo games like Shock Troopers 2, SNK vs. Capcom, Sengoku 3 and Metal Slug 3 whenever I need that graphics rush, otherwise I am more than happy with classic 2d RPGs, doom, and homebrew galore.

Do you enjoy emulation on the pc? If you haven't tried it, this isn't for you!

Enjoy whatever you choose.

mth411

Excuse me mth411, but which emulator allows fullspeed SNES emulation on GP2X?

My comment was if SNES fullspeed, ..... what the gamepark is possible of ... ... weren't enough.

Someday it might be fullspeed, but the general idea was consider what one wants, and what they would be happy with.

I have a tv-out cable. The movie playback can be done on a tv, but so far, i haven't gotten squidgesnes to reliably work on a tv. Since i am a newb, i haven't overclocked my system yet, and i bought the cheap one, so i get 20 fps without the sound on and good picture. If i were more commited, i could prolly squeaze a couple more frames out, but i think i'll just wait for an emulator upgrade. I love my GP2X (it's my baby), but it isn't for everyone. If you really want mainstream stuff, then be gone from us. The most recent console to be emulated is the playstation, and so far, that is lacking. Good luck with whatever decision you make sir.

The newest version of SquidgeSNES by Notaz is fullspeed on 80-90% of games, with a bit of overclocking.

Instantjewmix: overclocking is amazingly simple in the latest SquidgeSNES, it's just a basic option in the menu. There is no danger in doing it, so give it a shot.

btw, there are dozens of "new" games on GP2X, just check the archive!

There is nothing wrong wtih "old, outdated and abandonware" - there are many timeless classics on emulation; they are so good that software houses keep chugging out "modern" equivalents - which are often less good than the original ones. The point is that out of the thousands of old games available on emulation, there are hundreds of quality titles, for free (emulation) - remember, they were all commercial releases in their day. Quality games are not often new games, the majority are old ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are some new commercial games and home brew games, some are ports, some remakes and some new. If you want lots of new commercial games on a regular basis you will be better off with a PSP (or personally I'd get a DS)

The volume control is implemented in software so it depends on the game/emulator.

No

Yes, most home brew games are extremely playable. There are a lot of playable emulators too, it obviously depends on the machine been emulated.

No - the date/time is lost on power off

Depends on what you want to do. If it's new games you want get a DS/PSP I don't see the point of waiting for a XGP.

If you like homebrew/emulation or want to do some developing get a GP2X. It's even good for watching video and listening to audio and as an e-book reader and image viewer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2x is for Emulation, simply and perfectly.

I adore playing Neo-Geo games, witch, in my opinion surpass A LOT of new game on the DS [ that I've tried since I have one ] and the psp. Nes/GB/Pce/... are perfect emulator also.

The reason to get a gp2x is to play emulated games !
Payback, witch is comercial is, beautiful, indeed but there is only one in
this case :D

Hope this helps,
paxl13

or you could say, dont buy a record player if you want to listen to the latest pop tunes - but if you want your music to have a little soul then get yourself some vinyl.

Back