Nintendo Ds Emulation On Pandora

OFF TOPIC
borgqueenx said:
....5fps wont be playable but nice anyways to show. 15fps is playable, really, it is.
i play unreal tournament 2004 on this computer, with believe it or not, a normal FPS speed of 10.
sometimes i wanna throw the pc out of the window, but its still playable.....
I could run UT2004 at Max settings at 1600 X 1200 when it came out. Sounds like you seriously need to upgrade.

ON TOPIC

I can think of a couple reason why I would want DS emulation on the Pandora.

Joystick for the (few) 3d games. Like Super Mario 64 DS (only example I can think of right now)
Thats only if it can be implemented to work like a regular joystick, cause if its basically digital still than I could still just use the Dpad more than likely.

Maybe a save any where feature could be added.

I like the double resolution idea also.

Unlike other people I am not going to ask for an emulator. I am grateful for what is going to come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derek said:
Unlike other people I am not going to ask for an emulator. I am grateful for what is going to come out.

First, speculating about the possibility of an emulator and actually asking for one are two different things

Second, we are all grateful for what is coming out, and asking for an emulator that is not currently planned has nothing to do with being grateful for what is coming out

Third, no one is complaining about there not being a DS emulator, therefore no one is being un-grateful by submitting their ideas and asking why will or won't a DS emulator work

Fourth, if you want to be grateful don't announce it to the world "Unlike other people I am not going to ask for an emulator. I am grateful for what is going to come out." when you do announce it to the world, you just seem like a stuck up A** hole. you want to show your gratitude? why not donate to the developers? why not pay $20 to the DEV fund, i bet you didn't do that when you bought your pandora. actions speak louder than words.

kingoddball said:
How about people stop piracy and buy the games?

Or get an R4DS or CycloDS and play roms that way.
Your telling people to stop pirating games, but then you tell them to pirate them... ?

Exophase said:
Personally I don't see how anyone can be happy with 15FPS. Maybe you don't understand that this means the game runs 1/4th the speed it's supposed to run at. For most games that aren't purely turn based the gameplay will be completely ruined.
I'm no expert, but running a game at 60 FPS would be the ideal, and this doesn't usually happen. Most xbox360 games run at 30 FPS (one example would be Halo 3). 30 FPS is a very acceptable standard, and 15 FPS isn't that fare off ;]

kingoddball said:

N64 is a "dead" console.. Roms dont hurt AS MUCH (besides, you can buy the games for only a few dollars each and dump them with a gameshark).

Dreamcast - Dead

PS1 - (kind of) dead

Look at the trend.. Sega, Nintendo..

Just buy a DS, buy the games.

In my opinion, Gamecube/Wii, PS2, PS3, PSP, and most certainly DS emulation of ROMS or ISOs is STEALING because they are current consoles with games that you can go to most stores in populated areas of the world to buy. People worked hard on these games so they and the company they work for can profit from their efforts. They drew the Art, they designed the levels, and they coded till the late hours of the night to get the game to market by deadline. That deserves respect not theft.

o0MrCheesy0o said:
kingoddball said:

Your telling people to stop pirating games, but then you tell them to pirate them... ?

Exophase said:
Personally I don't see how anyone can be happy with 15FPS. Maybe you don't understand that this means the game runs 1/4th the speed it's supposed to run at. For most games that aren't purely turn based the gameplay will be completely ruined.
I'm no expert, but running a game at 60 FPS would be the ideal, and this doesn't usually happen. Most xbox360 games run at 30 FPS (one example would be Halo 3). 30 FPS is a very acceptable standard, and 15 FPS isn't that fare off ;]

especially when you add frame skip to it :p

Shock-Socks said:
o0MrCheesy0o said:
kingoddball said:

Exophase said:

especially when you add frame skip to it :p
No no no. 15FPS + frameskip = 1/4 speed. 60FPS + frameskip = 15FPS + fullspeed. :p

o0MrCheesy0o said:

I wish more people would get this.. hopefully I won't have to try to explain anymore.

You can NOT compare an emulator running something at 15FPS, when it's supposed to be running at 60FPS, to a game that's written to cope with running at whatever frame rate it runs at. The DS game will run at 25% the speed. That means that if an enemy rushes you and it takes 2 seconds on the real thing it'll take 8 seconds now. That means that if the opening intro takes 3 minutes on the real thing it'll take 12 minutes now. That means that the music will at best be 1/4th the pitch, at worst will be 75% gaps and sound like a noisy mess. It should be obvious how this completely changes the game experience.

Exophase said:
o0MrCheesy0o said:

I wish more people would get this.. hopefully I won't have to try to explain anymore.

You can NOT compare an emulator running something at 15FPS, when it's supposed to be running at 60FPS, to a game that's written to cope with running at whatever frame rate it runs at. The DS game will run at 25% the speed. That means that if an enemy rushes you and it takes 2 seconds on the real thing it'll take 8 seconds now. That means that if the opening intro takes 3 minutes on the real thing it'll take 12 minutes now. That means that the music will at best be 1/4th the pitch, at worst will be 75% gaps and sound like a noisy mess. It should be obvious how this completely changes the game experience.
I totally understand that, but tell me what DS game runs at 60 FPS?

o0MrCheesy0o said:
Exophase said:
o0MrCheesy0o said:

I totally understand that, but tell me what DS game runs at 60 FPS?
Um... all of them? That's how the LCDs work.

Yes, all of them. The 2D and 3D engines are both fully 60FPS 100% of the time. It's not even possible to render at effectively less than 60FPS without using tricks with the capture unit, and it's still 30 or 20FPS, not a variable number.

Derek said:
OFF TOPIC
borgqueenx said:
....5fps wont be playable but nice anyways to show. 15fps is playable, really, it is.
i play unreal tournament 2004 on this computer, with believe it or not, a normal FPS speed of 10.
sometimes i wanna throw the pc out of the window, but its still playable.....
I could run UT2004 at Max settings at 1600 X 1200 when it came out. Sounds like you seriously need to upgrade.
You're on an international forum, you have to remember that computer hardware differs extremely greatly in price throughout the world, also the cost of living of a place determines the wages people get paid, not the prices of importing computer hardware, so a $10 an hour salary may be extremely good pay in a country while still not allowing someone to afford computer hardware much better.

Exophase said:
Yes, all of them. The 2D and 3D engines are both fully 60FPS 100% of the time. It's not even possible to render at effectively less than 60FPS without using tricks with the capture unit, and it's still 30 or 20FPS, not a variable number.
Like I said, a lot of xbox360 games only run at 30 FPS, so how can you say, 'not even possible to render at effectively less than 60FPS'?
Anyways, GTA: Chinatown Wars frame rate drops quite a bit from time to time, it obviously does not run at 60 FPS 100% of the time :/

o0MrCheesy0o said:
Exophase said:
Like I said, a lot of xbox360 games only run at 30 FPS, so how can you say, 'not even possible to render at effectively less than 60FPS'?
Anyways, GTA: Chinatown Wars frame rate drops quite a bit from time to time, it obviously does not run at 60 FPS 100% of the time :/
Was Exophase talking about Xbox? I don't think so.

calc84maniac said:
o0MrCheesy0o said:
Exophase said:
No, I don't think so. But I was assuming the same principles apply to the DS.
Still, not every game will run at a constant 60 FPS.

o0MrCheesy0o said:

Pardon my sequence of elaborating calc84maniac's posts right after he makes them. I was talking about DS. DS's 3D is substantially different from most things out there. Even if something looks like it isn't rendering at 60FPS - and we only have your word to go on - it doesn't mean that it isn't actually rendering at that. It might be dropping geometry but it's still going to be rerendering things inbetween frames. It could be rendering such that it's flipping between the screens or it could be rendering so the capture unit causes you to see the previous frame's results while it works on building the new one in two passes, causing another effective 30FPS, but the engine is still rendering at 60FPS. To an emulator none of this makes any difference.

DS's 3D rendering is synchronized to the LCD refresh, it doesn't have a framebuffer. It's not physically capable of taking longer to render a frame. You can rig up the capture unit as a de facto framebuffer but it's very crude because it can't properly Z-combine between passes and it wastes a lot of VRAM that you have precious little of on the platform. This will effectively halve the framerate 100% of the time - on DS you will never, ever have a situation where the 3D renderer has too many polygons to render in a frame and thus takes too long causing it to drop from 60FPS to 55FPS or something. In fact, the number of polygons it can render in a frame is hard capped to 2048. If you do manage to exceed its fillrate it'll start dropping polygons. It won't slow down.

o0MrCheesy0o said:
calc84maniac said:
o0MrCheesy0o said:
Exophase said:
No, I don't think so. But I was assuming the same principles apply to the DS.
Still, not every game will run at a constant 60 FPS.
The graphics hardware, however, updates the screen 60 times per second regardless of whether the game is able to process all it needs to in that amount of time - hence the illusion of lower FPS.

Exophase said:
o0MrCheesy0o said:

Pardon my sequence of elaborating calc84maniac's posts right after he makes them. I was talking about DS. DS's 3D is substantially different from most things out there. Even if something looks like it isn't rendering at 60FPS - and we only have your word to go on - it doesn't mean that it isn't actually rendering at that. It might be dropping geometry but it's still going to be rerendering things inbetween frames. It could be rendering such that it's flipping between the screens or it could be rendering so the capture unit causes you to see the previous frame's results while it works on building the new one in two passes, causing another effective 30FPS, but the engine is still rendering at 60FPS. To an emulator none of this makes any difference.

DS's 3D rendering is synchronized to the LCD refresh, it doesn't have a framebuffer. It's not physically capable of taking longer to render a frame. You can rig up the capture unit as a de facto framebuffer but it's very crude because it can't properly Z-combine between passes and it wastes a lot of VRAM that you have precious little of on the platform. This will effectively halve the framerate 100% of the time - on DS you will never, ever have a situation where the 3D renderer has too many polygons to render in a frame and thus takes too long causing it to drop from 60FPS to 55FPS or something. In fact, the number of polygons it can render in a frame is hard capped to 2048. If you do manage to exceed its fillrate it'll start dropping polygons. It won't slow down.
Okay, I'm just going to believe what you say as it appears you know alot more about this kinda stuff than I do.

Xian Long said:
o0MrCheesy0o said:
Okay, I'm just going to believe what you say as it appears you know alot more about this kinda stuff than I do.

you just realized that?
Yes, I'm new to the forum and don't know the members.
Please don't bother posting if it's just spam.

Back