Nds Emulation

If. Key word. Chances are, it won't. Too big a screen, missing the all important dual screens, and most likely not gonna be near 100% compatibility. Plus my whole point of new games being developed constantly is kinda lost, if the answer is, 'well we'll emulate them'.

I will be sticking to my DS for DS gaming, and the Pandora for everything else.

Is that aimed at me? Considering I'm always for emulation over hardware, I have no qualms about the Pandora emulating a DS. Problem is, will it provide as good a representation as the actual thing? I reckon no.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, about DS users and how they treat emulator developers. Care to elaborate? If anything, we're probably the most patient bunch going. We have gone until now without a Mega Drive emulator capable of sound, and on its release, nothing but heaping praise for Lordus, who developed it. Nor was anyone grumbling about the fact, prior.

In truth, the whole 'lets watch shite on our handhelds' doesn't get excited at all. I want a handheld to play games primarily. Why watch a film when I can play a game? More so, when no screen size out there (including the PSP and GP2X) do films the justice they deserve.

teggun said:
That's crap, first off the pandora can't emulate the DS, the Pandora doesn't exist yet
You're picking apart something you know he didn't mean...

teggun said:
and secondly even if it did it is highly unlikely that it could emulate the DS
Why's that?

teggun said:
, especially not from launch.
Of course not from launch. Nobody anywhere thinks such a thing would happen. Long term potential is being considered.

teggun said:
Furthermore the placement of the touch screen and lack of dual screens in the pandora will severely effect the gaming experience of DS emulation on many games.
A majority of DS games do not heavily rely on the orientation of the screens. What's more, far more DS games only use the touchscreen in a limited manner (if at all) than those that rely on it heavily. Even then I don't think the touchscreen placement is going to make that much of a difference, but no one can really know until it's tried.

teggun said:
On top of that the pandora is larger
It's only slightly larger, which in and of itself shouldn't affect how playable DS games would be.

teggun said:
and (from the renders so far) doesn't look anywhere near as good as the DS Lite,
Renders tend to look a lot worse than the real thing. I thought the PSP render looked awful too. I don't think many people here care that much about raw aesthetics though, so it's not going to make a very strong argument.

teggun said:
it's twice the price
And can do far more things than a DS can...

teggun said:
and probably won't be able to use the online service that nintendo provides should it be able to emulate the DS.
It'd be pretty funny if one could. How much is this service really being used for anything anyway?

teggun said:
The pandora has a long, long way to go if it's going even come close to contending the DS at playing DS games (If it ever even gets a working emulator).
Probably, but it's at the very least an intriguing possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
danostrife said:
We have gone until now without a Mega Drive emulator capable of sound, and on its release, nothing but heaping praise for Lordus, who developed it. Nor was anyone grumbling about the fact, prior.
Funny you mention Lordus, because I talk to him on a regular basis and you would not believe the amount of crap people give him, both in public and in private. Even some of his beta testers are jerks. You probably just don't notice it for whatever reason.

You guys are definitely not the most patient bunch at all, or at least you have more problematic people than other places (like here). It could be just because you have more overall, but actually the number of people who download and use emulators like jEnesisDS isn't really that high compared to the number of people who use ones for GP2X. I think it's more a matter of DS and PSP users (PSP ones are as bad or worse) being younger and more demanding because they're more used to pirating contemporary games that they can easily rather than old games that they probably already owned at some point and can't be bothered to track down.

Well somebody got it, to play Mario Paint. The point, the added advantage of devices such as a mouse or keyboard can enhance the gaming on a device by adding depth to its playability.

-danostraife-Why would a handheld games console, it's primary feature being to, guess what, play games, need a keyboard, please explain to me. ---- I suppose that explanation will suffice.

Your original statements were comparing the gaming capabilities of both systems, now you DS champions have changed your position to "the DS plays the DS games better." Duh. Those are retarded statements that have no bearing on this, almost ALL of the systems emulated play the games better themselves rather than being emulated. That is not the point, the point is that the Pandora is ONE system in the place of 20-30, and the emulation of a DS will just remove one more device from the bag of toys you carry.

teggun Posted Today, 01:03 PM

C B Felterbush said:

The Pandora could emulate DS. Therefore as a game system it achieves everything the DS does.

That's crap, first off the pandora can't emulate the DS, the Pandora doesn't exist yet and secondly even if it did it is highly unlikely that it could emulate the DS, especially not from launch
My My your emmglish is indeed off a tad I wonder where you were edumacated. I understand it is in your best interest to grossly miss-represent what I said, however I never said the pandora DID, I said it COULD.

It was highly unlikely that the Giants would win the Superbowl, DS emulation on the Pandora however is almost a given.
It

teggun said:
the Pandora doesn't exist yet
The Pandora, developed by a guy who gained trust over the years, is now going to dump his reputation for a joke? There's too much evidence to deny the existence of the Pandora.

Of course, that's what a troll would want to do. :)

teggun said:
it is highly unlikely that it could emulate the DS, especially not from launch.
DS will not be emulated from launch. However, people have repeatedly said that the DS can be emulated, just a matter of effort. It's not impossible. It's just not a walk in the park.

teggun said:
Furthermore the placement of the touch screen and lack of dual screens in the pandora will severely effect the gaming experience of DS emulation on many games.
"lack of dual screens"? What if we pretended we could split the one big screen Pandora has into two little ones?

teggun said:
On top of that the pandora is larger and (from the renders so far) doesn't look anywhere near as good as the DS Lite
The Pandora is only somewhat bigger than the DS Lite. I would like you to hold a DS in your hands and picture it as the Pandora. Or, better yet, create your own paper mockup based on the measurements in the wiki.

Why, any smaller and I'd wonder if I could use it easily.

teggun said:
it's twice the price
Because it has twice the power (serious understatement) and four time the functionality.

teggun said:
and probably won't be able to use the online service that nintendo provides should it be able to emulate the DS.
No, but then the online services that are available aren't exactly necessary in any way to enjoy the DS experience. Otherwise every DS purchase would have to come with its own Wifi router. :D

teggun said:
The pandora has a long, long way to go if it's going even come close to contending the DS at playing DS games (If it ever even gets a working emulator).
No one will deny that. But just because the going is hard, doesn't mean you just give up. :)

The Nintendo Wi-Fi is used quite a lot, considering it can deliver 16 player multiplayer online, that's a big part of the DS.

As for using the touch screen, all the best games use it. Hotel Dusk, Kirby's Canvas Curse, Professor Layton, Warioware Touched!, Ouendan, Taiko Drum Master, and so forth. Sure, a lot of games will go for the map option, but the AAA titles usually deliver with nice touch screen action. You're much undervaluing its importance.

Sure, the Pandora can do twice as much. But the majority of that is outside of the concurrent video games realm.

Really? That is surprising. The forum I visit where he posts is completely hostile free. I suspect it could be one of the larger DS scene communities, in that case.

You're largely making a blanket statement and assuming there. From first hand experience, I've seen nothing that would be hugely significant, on the whole, I find the DS scene to be pretty good. The majority understand the difficulties of the DS tech, and as such, realise 100% Mega Drive compatibility isn't going to happen overnight. What DS places do you visit, out of curiosity?

danostrife said:
The Nintendo Wi-Fi is used quite a lot, considering it can deliver 16 player multiplayer online, that's a big part of the DS.
Please observe how many games actually use the online multiplayer functionality, in relation to any other platform. Not many. And most games usually have multiplayer as a side bonus. I think you are making too much out of a feature that isn't the highlight of any Nintendo platform.

teggun said:
As for using the touch screen, all the best games use it. Hotel Dusk, Kirby's Canvas Curse, Professor Layton, Warioware Touched!, Ouendan, Taiko Drum Master, and so forth. Sure, a lot of games will go for the map option, but the AAA titles usually deliver with nice touch screen action. You're much undervaluing its importance.
We never said the touchscreen was never used. We said the orientation didn't matter. Please read fully and respond accurately.

teggun said:
Sure, the Pandora can do twice as much. But the majority of that is outside of the concurrent video games realm.
Games are always hungry for more power, or else the PS3 wouldn't be as it is today. Homebrew games will no doubt take advantage of any CPU cycle they can. No level of power is ever outside the concurrent video games realm, and won't ever be.

danostrife said:
You're largely making a blanket statement and assuming there. From first hand experience, I've seen nothing that would be hugely significant, on the whole, I find the DS scene to be pretty good. The majority understand the difficulties of the DS tech, and as such, realise 100% Mega Drive compatibility isn't going to happen overnight. What DS places do you visit, out of curiosity?
I'm not making a blanket statement with this. It's not about percentage of people, it's about overall presence. If only 1 in 100 people are annoying, but there are thousands of people, then you will have your hands full with annoying people. I don't know what kind of percentage it is in that scene, but it really isn't good. I'm not a DS dev, so most of this I hear from Lordus directly (him pasting things from places), rather than me going around DS places.

C B Felterbush said:
My My your emmglish is indeed off a tad I wonder where you were edumacated. I understand it is in your best interest to grossly miss-represent what I said, however I never said the pandora DID, I said it COULD.

It was highly unlikely that the Giants would win the Superbowl, DS emulation on the Pandora however is almost a given.
It
Irony.

For starters, my name isn't too difficult to spell correctly, especially when it's on the screen to see. Secondly, 'DS champions' doesn't make any sense. We are not champions of the DS. I am merely a fan of the handheld. To say we champion the DS would be somewhat more coherent.

I fail to see what Mario Paint has anything to do with this discussion. One game, in which featured as an art program, used a mouse, somewhat of a novelty. Right. But it didn't use a keyboard, did it? Which was my original musing. Consoles and especially handhelds, largely don't require keyboards. The Pandora will, if it's functionality with include DOS games and internet browsing, but really it's not essential in the slightest for commercial handhelds.

Why are you trying to peddle fallacies? For most platforms, emulation will perform better than its hardware counterparts. A SNES emulator, using save states, graphical filters, and boasting full compatibility, regardless of region, is better than an actual SNES console. Think that would be the case for most emulators within reason, from the N64 downwards.

Why would I leave my DS behind, for a device that can't do the same things, nor emulate it better? Besides the fact a Lite weighs nothing, and can be placed in a backpack.

'Any other platform', this meaning what, in comparison to the PC? Or other handheld platforms? Most games don't add on multiplayer as a bonus, it's as a feature. That sheer ignorance makes me wonder do you know what you're talking about? Also, what on Earth does 'highlight of any Nintendo platform' mean? This is their 3rd console with internet multiplayer, their second released after the DS, and the GC remaining questionable as a fully fledged multiplayer console.

Homebrew games aren't really going to be able to compete on a Nintendo DS AAA title level, are they?

Of course you fail to see what Mario Paint has to do with anything. I'm not surprised. We are talking about gameplay, on a larger scale than you can contemplate. You are all the sudden comparing Pandora-DS vs. DS-DS, when we are really discussing Pandora-games vs. DS-games.

And a typo is hardly Irony, in comparison to ones inability to read.

I would like to point out as an owner of over 30 different home consoles, almost all of which I can emulate on my PC. If I am going to play a game one one of them I am going to play it on the system, because I can.

However you are talking about handheld gaming, it is hard to keep up with your changes. Keyboard serves no purpose on a handheld? What if you were playing a game like Diablo 2, or some similar MMO online? Just because you might not have in the past, doesn't mean you wont in a Pandora like future.

I did find it funny to hear you say that emulators were better though. Thats Irony. What happens in a year when the Pandora has an awesome DS emulator?

javaJake said:
The Pandora, developed by a guy who gained trust over the years, is now going to dump his reputation for a joke? There's too much evidence to deny the existence of the Pandora.

Of course, that's what a troll would want to do. :)
No, you miss my point, the Pandora may seriously not live up to expectations there are a number of things that can go wrong between now and the final release of the system.

javaJake said:
DS will not be emulated from launch. However, people have repeatedly said that the DS can be emulated, just a matter of effort. It's not impossible. It's just not a walk in the park.
It doesn't matter what people say, we need a developer who is willing to put in the time and effort for a task like this. The comments earlier gave the impression that DS emulation has been sorted out which is a very bad impression to give on anyone looking at the pandora now. In another thread someone has mentioned that they read an article about the pandora and think that Resident Evil 4 can run on it, these kind of overblown expectations will just build people's hopes up.

javaJake said:
"lack of dual screens"? What if we pretended we could split the one big screen Pandora has into two little ones?
Think about how you hold the DS and pandora, where you apply pressure with the stylus- it will not be as playable with the touchscreen on the upper part of the system, and if it was Nintendo would have stuck the touch screen there.

javaJake said:
The Pandora is only somewhat bigger than the DS Lite. I would like you to hold a DS in your hands and picture it as the Pandora. Or, better yet, create your own paper mockup based on the measurements in the wiki.

Why, any smaller and I'd wonder if I could use it easily.
fair point, the size isn't a huge issue, but it is still larger regardless

javaJake said:
Because it has twice the power (serious understatement) and four time the functionality.

Yeah but that won't make it play DS games any better..

javaJake said:
No, but then the online services that are available aren't exactly necessary in any way to enjoy the DS experience. Otherwise every DS purchase would have to come with its own Wifi router. :D

true but it's something else missing- mario kart online is great!

javaJake said:
No one will deny that. But just because the going is hard, doesn't mean you just give up. :)
And hopefully no one will, I just really feel that until a developer says they have some sort of DS emulation running we shouldn't compare the two on the basis of DS games.

teggun said:
In another thread someone has mentioned that they read an article about the pandora and think that Resident Evil 4 can run on it, these kind of overblown expectations will just build people's hopes up.
Well whoever thinks it can run RE4 won't even be smart enough to operate a Pandora.

Once again, I am amazed with the sheer stupidity shown by some forum members. Everyone: Just shut the fuck up already!

1. Listen to Exophase, he knows what he is talking about.
2. Stop whining about "fill in random crap" scaring software devs away from the pandora scene: there is no pandora yet! Nobody who is serious or skilled enough to program a DS emulator will turn away just because they read this thread...
3. This whole discussion is absolutely redundant. Exophase and a few other actual experts shared their opinion: it's possible. Everything else will have to wait until the console is out. Someone will show up and take the task upon themselves to code a DS emulator eventually. If there is demand for it, and if it's fun for the coder.

Whoever does DS emulation will be under the microscope by the community. Whoever does it will most likely be dedicated to making the best emulator possible.

The size increase is negligible, it is larger but such a small amount that why a point is being made about is rediculous.

People make wild assumptions about everything. Its power, looks, everything. People only listen to official news anyway.

Oh the fanboyism.

I agree 100% with teggun, we shouldn't compare the two on the basis of DS games.

Of course this whole thing was started on the comparison of the DS's ability to play games compared to the Pandora's ability to play games. Anyone with a brain is going to know that the DS is going to play its software better, but that is not the point. There is no point...lol..i'm done

Back