Nds Emulation

I don't know, 2x2 modes are always best, you lose image quality as soon as you try to split pixels.

Granted most people (who can't see apparently), like bigger always.

I would like to see the portrait mode, but only if the pixels on the edge were cut completely off and 2x2 mode was used on both screens.

If the display connectors could be extended I could modify the screen so it rotated :), in fact I am sure that would be very popular with the MAME crowd :D. It might become the hardware mod of choice, it might even make it into a special version of the Pandora.

All this talk about how to display the DS screens is good, but if you do the thing where one screen is larger, be sure to make that so you can switch which screen is larger, because there are a lot of games that use the bottom screen for the gameplay.

Another way that we can display the screens, but only when we are not planning to go anywhere, is we can use TV-out to display the non-touchscreen on the TV and the touchscreen scaled up on the Pandora LCD. <-- I'd like that, when I'm not going anywhere. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Well, I own a DS Lite...

But I'd LOVE to see DS emulation on Pandora. Always nice to just have to carry one device when possible, ya know?

Exophase - go for it (if you're even thinking about it)!

As for "negative attention" - most average consumers will never know the Pandora exists (sorry Pandora team, but it's true). And the price will quickly disuade the typical 12 year old ROM kiddie some people are fearful of seeing on the Pandora scene. They'll look at the Pandora price, and quickly settle for buying an R4 (which allows better DS piracy than Pandora with a DS emu would anyway).

Plus it would just be damn cool to see Phoenix Wright running on Pandora. :)

I think with this community at it's back the Pandora is sure to be a success. By success I mean in the way the GP32 and the GP2X were, and hopefully a little more. With that said nobody important to any big console maker is going to take a second look at the Pandora, unless to copy some things for their next handheld.

No matter what it emulates. The PSP has been emulating the GBA for a long time with no huff-n-puff from Nintendo. Believe me if they were going to get their panties in a knot over something it would be that not this.
The GBA after all is still a current gen handheld, even though they make a more powerful handheld it is made as a companion, not a replacement.

I think the PiP (picture in picture) function available to us would be a great feature to use on the DS emulator, and in conjunction with the touch screen one could just put two on screen buttons that allow the switch between enlarging the top screen and enlarging the bottom screen. So which ever one you needed to be bigger could be, or if you needed them to be the same size one more button push could cycle it to that.

just thinking out loud.-CB

Well you would need to be able to rotate the screens as well.
Namely for games like Brian age and Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (WOOT, sorry shameless plug)

I would recommend a boot menu picking vertical or horizontal and then rotation assuming that if your hortional you want them equal sizes and if you want it vertical you can toggle thru Equal, Top Larger and Bottom Larger sizes.

I too would love to see DS emulation on the Pandora. Do you think fullspeed emulation is a possibility? A lot of DS games run laggy on the native system, and these are games I'd like to play (Geometry Wars, Brothers in Arms, etc etc).

Well spec wise it looks like it is possible.
The problem is finding someone to make the emulator.

TheLonelyGod said:
Well spec wise it looks like it is possible.
The problem is finding someone to make the emulator.

And making a high quality high optimized one. It needs to be worked on by people who know how to code the emulator to make the most out of the Pandora. The last thing we need is a dodgy port/remake.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are new. ;)

No worries - this is the GP32 scene (which in turn has devs in common with many other emu dev scenes). Many people around here go back to the roots of handheld emulation, and the emu scene in general. Some of the world's most talented hobbyist devs are watching the Pandora with great interest, guaranteed.

You're posting in the same thread as Exophase for example - and gpSP is a masterpiece of performance.

Haha Prophet pulls no punches-
You are somewhat of a well-seasoned vet around these parts yourself.

I'm seeing a bunch of people who never post here before post here. I've been around the block since like 96/97 in terms of my history I used to print out ever pic of every screen that the GP32 and Zodiac could emulate, and I almost used all my ink up doing so, I have like a whole book worth of those pics now.

Given the amount of room there is on the screen, I think it could be displayed as per the pic below. With all the spare megahurtzes of the Pandora I'm sure there'd be sufficient grunt not only to run the DS emu, but to run the DS iPod emu within that, which of course would be running iPod Linux, allowing it to play Mario via a Gameboy emu. MARIO.

I don't know about you guys, but to me that's all the power of Pandora unleashed right there.

pandoradsql6.png

Nearly anything is possible if you throw enough time, energy, and brainpower at it. Until a skilled programmer says "I'm working on an NDS emulator for the Pandora", there's no point in speculating.

The two screen issue is the least of the problems to be overcome for NDS emulation to work on Pandora. Anybody smart enough to work out the programming will not have any difficulty with screen layouts.

Given the amount of room there is on the screen, I think it could be displayed as per the pic below. With all the spare megahurtzes of the Pandora I'm sure there'd be sufficient grunt not only to run the DS emu, but to run the DS iPod emu within that, which of course would be running iPod Linux, allowing it to play Mario via a Gameboy emu.

That would be fantastic.

Freaking amazing. I could go make fun of all my friends who think the ds is the best handheld.

TheLonelyGod said:
Freaking amazing. I could go make fun of all my friends who think the ds is the best handheld.
By saying what exactly? I can emulate the console you own, not even to the same degree? ...thrilling.

You can't even begin to compare the Pandora and the DS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to begin my comparison i would bring to light that all i need to emulate, listen to music, watch video and do pda stuff is on the thing as i buy it. I don't need to go buy an extra confusing generation 3 flash cart.

Back