Ds Emulator Interface

Exophase said:
SomeGuy99 said:
What the hell?! This thread is crazy and stupid.

If you want to emulate a DS, you need two Pandoras.

Or at slightly lower cost, one Pandora and one DS.

Well it's cheaper if you throw away the bottom half of each Pandora and fix the two screen halves together. Sell the remainder on Ebay.

Trust me, I've thought this through very carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
Dude, you can't just take the ImageShack URL and use it as an image URL. You have to use the source image. E.g. (quote me to see the correct URLs):
horizontalg.png

vertical.png

ALSO, the statement that the layout of the screens was an issue is simply false. That's really the least of our concerns right now; the Nintendo DS has about an eighth of the Pandora's resolution, and both screens would easily fit vertically on the Pandora with room to spare, and they would have the correct resolution (but they might be a little too small).

No, the issue here is more that emulating the DS will be extremely difficult. It will be almost impossible to get a DS emulator up and running to full speed on the Pandora.

</flameextinguisher>
Yeah I'm confused there, we can get a Dreamcast to Emulate but not a shitty DS? The DS is sooooooooooooo under powered.

TylerAW said:
Yeah I'm confused there, we can get a Dreamcast to Emulate but not a shitty DS? The DS is sooooooooooooo under powered.

This is the shit you get when someone makes you think DC emulation is going to perform well. Nonetheless, I've explained already why DS emulation has more overhead than DC emulation.

Exophase said:
TylerAW said:

This is the shit you get when someone makes you think DC emulation is going to perform well. Nonetheless, I've explained already why DS emulation has more overhead than DC emulation.
If Dreamcast emulation is NEVER going to perform well than why even write an emulator in the first place??

TylerAW said:
If Dreamcast emulation is NEVER going to perform well than why even write an emulator in the first place??

I didn't say Dreamcast emulation is never going to perform well, just like I never said DS emulation is never going to perform well. But your post assumes DC emulation is a sure thing just because someone is working on one.

There are lots of reasons to do an emulator even if you don't think the initial target hardware will be fast enough. Maybe people will still want to play it even if it's half speed. Maybe some games will be much less demanding than others and will play acceptably. And even if an emulator is too slow for all on current hardware it could be well ahead when the next generation of ARM hardware is out, which is right around the corner.

Exophase said:
I didn't say Dreamcast emulation is never going to perform well, just like I never said DS emulation is never going to perform well. But your post assumes DC emulation is a sure thing just because someone is working on one.

There are lots of reasons to do an emulator even if you don't think the initial target hardware will be fast enough. Maybe people will still want to play it even if it's half speed. Maybe some games will be much less demanding than others and will play acceptably. And even if an emulator is too slow for all on current hardware it could be well ahead when the next generation of ARM hardware is out, which is right around the corner.
And just to add, the developer may just want to learn from it. A project that they find interesting.

I have an N900 but looking to order a Pandora after the summer. So I hang a lot on the Maemo forum, and Smoku have made some development on his Desmume Maemo Edition, and the N900 has almost identical hw setup and screen size...

An resizing screens by fraction is hard to do (uses lots of cpu or dsp cycles) that in mind this mockups spawned on the maemo forums which to me seams as the most logical and best way to implement the GUI.

http://img686.imageshack.us/f/dsimulator1.png/

http://img19.imageshack.us/f/dsimulator2.png/

(sorry, im sitting at work and this board is unusalbe with Internet Explorer so the link is the best i can do)

Back