Ds Emulator Interface

My "why we can't have DS emulation post" was an obvious joke, lighten up ;p I never claimed DS emulation is actually impossible while being serious. You're calling us jerks for making a few lighthearted jokes.. look at the way you're posting, you're being a total douchewad.

So let me make it really clear in case you continue to miss this - I never said that "decent" (whatever that means) DS emulation on Pandora is impossible. But I'm not very optimistic about it. Similarly, I'm not very optimistic about "decent" Dreamcast or "decent" PSP emulation, regardless of the fact that others are attempting them - still, these are very different platforms and PSP especially can tolerate some very different emulation approaches. Those platforms are more "small number of logical units with high level interfaces", DS is more "large number of lopgical units with low level interfaces" and the way the overhead works out is totally different.

I'm sure your "low end computer" is not nearly as weak as you think, or maybe you have the emulator set on a high frameskip manually, are playing a really low demand game like Yoshi's Island DS, or something else seriously wrong. Because there's no way either DeSmuME or No$GBA would use that little CPU while doing anything substantial on anything less than an x86 with at least 4 cores and running at over 2GHz.

So what is it exactly? Tell me just what this low end computer is and what you were running, because I think you'll find that the scenario scales to Pandora-level hardware much worse than you think. My 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo can run No$ sort of most of the time at real time speed but usually with at least 50-75% frames dropped. This is with software rendering (OGL rendering in No$ is actually loads slower) - there are big obstacles to hardware rendering in both speed and accuracy, much more so than many other more conventional 3D systems. This is pretty much a baseline for "good enough" performance for me, and even in single core utilization my 1.8GHz Core 2 is a good 5-7x faster than a Pandora's Cortex-A8 is at 600MHz.

aww man, you made Exo actually explain himself.

Yeah, when everyone made it clear that the 'screens won't fit' was a joke, you should have been like "oh ho ho, I fell for a joke, whoopsies" but instead you decided to curse at everyone and say our community sucks...

If you ever use some of my software and have a problem with it, don't be surprised if I reply with "You fucking idiot, all I wanted to do was make some decent software and you people all just use it wrong and break it and then complain to me! You ingrates.... why should I help you damn people? You all suck!"

Of course that's a special reply just for you.

@ Reknel:
Whoa! I wasn't laughing at you. I thought you were in on the joke. I guess both of our humour detectors failed.

And we don't all use Linux around here, at least not yet.

@ Exophase:

Mr.Confuzed said:
Exophase said:
- DS is capable of emulating N64 (see SM64DS) so you have to apply the 7x rule twice, so Pandora would need 49x MHz, and (66 + 33) * 49 = 4851MHz which is too high (for PC you need dual core 2.5+GHz)
For this, you deserve all of the n00b questions that you get.

Reknel said:
The 7x rule of Mhz needed for emulation doesn't always apply, you Exophase should know especially. In a post not so long ago applying that rule you said that the pandora would need about 4000 Mhz or something. Yeah... like many computers have that much frequency.
Yep, called it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrongly assumed the readers wouldn't be as dense as neutron stars. I apologize :(

I have one last question before I leave. Do I have to erase my account manually or will it be deleted automatically in time?

I don't give a shit about it anymore, but answers like this one:

LOL you n00bs don't know what you're smoking.

All you've got to do is copy the Nintendo DS .EXE to the shift key on the Pandora...and then you can dual boot the nintendo DS over the wifi and run the Roms from the hard drive!

Sorted.

Or this one:

How about rendering the screens as faces on a spinning cube? Then you can display three emulated DSes at once!

This would be especially good on the iPhone where you could shake it to spin the cube.

Certainly would piss people off. You can take one or two as a joke. I counted around 15 replies joking about the same shit in three pages, that's quite a lot, isn't it? And comments like the two I've quoted were treating me like a retard, the former was even insulting me. So like, yeah Exophase you're right, I am as dense as a neutron star. Nice that you know some Astrophysics. Oh wait, maybe what happens is that these forums are filled with irrespectful assholes. 15 replies spitting on me on a fucking topic. I don't know, maybe a little tact would have helped something of the lines of:

You can't emulate the DS on the pandora because it has too little power to do it, at least that's what most people estimate. Others say that with some effort it could eventually be playable at least a little, but don't hold your breath. Regarding the interface thing there are some ideas already out there that solve the problem.

That wasn't so hard to post was it? After that you can just shove the topic aside and forget about it. But like I said, keep making fun of people

Yeah, when everyone made it clear that the 'screens won't fit' was a joke, you should have been like "oh ho ho, I fell for a joke, whoopsies" but instead you decided to curse at everyone and say our community sucks...

If you ever use some of my software and have a problem with it, don't be surprised if I reply with "You fucking idiot, all I wanted to do was make some decent software and you people all just use it wrong and break it and then complain to me! You ingrates.... why should I help you damn people? You all suck!"

Of course that's a special reply just for you.

Be sure that I will NEVER use your software because I'm not buying a Pandora. I had my doubts about buying one, but after this I've made my mind. And you guys should fucking know that there is a certain point where a joke becomes insulting.

So... How do I erase my account?

No one was making fun of you, you just stumbled on a forum meme. You seriously need to chill out. There's something about you victim-role types that causes you to expect others to treat you with "tact" while you personally be as rude and insulting as possible. If you're going to be ridiculously self-centered and over-sensitive about everything at least try not to be a hypocrite.

If you want to leave then just leave. Deleting your account is a waste of an admin's time and this whole tirade over it is just begging for more attention. Bye.

internet-24591.jpg

This image sums whole thread.

Attachments

• internet-24591.jpg
    internet-24591.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 126
Truth is majority of posts wasn't insulting or laughing at you.
It's the internet so maybe you just never realised it.

But people was having fun at the different idea's of solving the 2 screen non issue.
Which was already mentioned a couple times to not be the limiting factor of DS emulation. (in this and the original thread)
It's just the part that most people assume to be the hardest thing that needs solving.
Hence every month or so we'll get a thread with the same idea's of how to solve something that doesn't need solving, which they think has never been mentioned or thought of before.

In fact if you search you'll probably find such threads, and the reasons why DS emulation isn't simple. It's strange how something that seems less advanced than other platforms can be harder to emulate, but that's just the way it is sometime, just look at Saturn emulation ;)

Anyway sorry you took it all so personally.

rabidpoobear said:
Sigged.
Reknel, please, they weren't making fun of you, this is standard procedure, really. My first post was about Gamecube emulation. Impossibility, naturally, but I think you can guess what came to me. But, as it would turn out, I realized it was worth hanging around here.
So please, realize it was only a joke. We didn't think you'd take it so seriously. We're sorry if we offended you.

I got a great idea: Lets update the DS in the emu by adding another 2 screens:

dsemuforpanda.png

Then you can like show the back view of your kart in mario kart.

Show your inventory on the 3rd screen in Zelda

etc.

That would be great and make it more awesome!

Mithrildor said:
I got a great idea: Lets update the DS in the emu by adding another 2 screens:

dsemuforpanda.png

Then you can like show the back view of your kart in mario kart.

Show your inventory on the 3rd screen in Zelda

etc.

That would be great and make it more awesome!

I might be mistaken, but I think you might just have improved our DS emulator to 200% speed, meaning we can run another two screens - this is fantastic news!

:)

Steve

I lolled at "red is screen, but this text isnt a screen."

@ OP: You just have to laugh at the funny stuff and ignore everything else. Also, before clashing in the FlameWar MMO, it is important to level up and join a clan. The only clans on this server are Pandora and Red_Baron.

<seriousfaic>If the Pandora on its own does not fulfill your needs, I hope you find something that does</seriousfaic>

Searching for "ds emulator" returned over 200 posts.

And don't say anything about the searchfunction again ;-)!

Edit: Link to resultlist doesn't work.

I don't think there's anything wrong with speculation, even though a stable DS emulator may never happen. People will joke. That's the internet. It's the OP's attitude that pissed me off in this thread to be honest. Is it really necessary to interject curses like "fucking" in otherwise normal sentences? Does he have Tourette's? :/

Anyway, I've seen some good ideas in the serious posts. And as for the others, funny stuff. :)

Shaun said:
Is it really necessary to interject curses like "fucking" in otherwise normal sentences?

I can explain that :)
Its a problem of non-native speakers. We learn the English language mostly thru moviez and Hip-Hop traxXx.

So most find words a native would find offensive, to be regular words of the language and its usage. ;)

Creature XL said:
We learn the English language mostly thru moviez and Hip-Hop traxXx.
Well there's yer problem. :D Seriously though, I wish my French classes were like that.

mcobit said:
Searching for "ds emulator" returned over 200 posts.

And don't say anything about the searchfunction again ;-)!

Edit: Link to resultlist doesn't work.

You have to click to page 2 and back:

Here you go

I always imagined that if an emulator was made (whether technical issues exist or not) you could just resize the screens to, say, 75% of their original size. They would still be side by side, allowing for a small HUD for emulator controls on the bottom.

Think this:
---------------------Pandora Screen------------------------------
|........................................................|........................................................|
|........................................................|........................................................|
|...............DS Screen 1..................|.................DS Screen 2................|
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Save State|Load State|Load ROM|Close/Open Lid|Settings|Exit

The reason I included the Close Lid option is that Phantom hourglass requires it to close for one point in the game. Other games might also implement some such anti-emulation feature.

Back