Nintendo ds emulator

actually I can think of several practical ways to create the 3D effect... though the only one which doesn't require special hardware (active or passive glasses for example, or perhaps a lenticular filter for the screen) would be to render left and right eye views side by side for wide-eyed or cross eyed free viewing. :) *grins ducks & runs*
I know it is dumb even talking about this but if you did that where would you put the lower touchscreen area then ;)

A lenticular screen would have to be made explicitly for the pitch of the Pandora LCD too.

dumb.. perhaps.. but I'm finding this makes for an interesting theoretical excercise. :)

Well focusing on the side by side option since it makes the most practical sense, it also gives us a neat answer for that... Actually, upon checking the resolutions it seems the pandora screen is actually the perfect resolution for this. (assuming of course, that the Wikipedia article I found is accurate)

If we were putting two top-screen images side by side at the top of the pandora screen, (at 400x240 each of the left and right eye 3DS images would take up exactly one quarter of the pandora screen unscaled) we should also be able to then put two identical bottom screen images below them and then accept touch-screen input from either image. :) The the bottom screen resolution is 320x240, so these will fit nicely pillarboxed in the bottom two quarters of the screen.

- Neelix

Awesome! Someone has finally addressed the 3DS screen problem that was holding us back. Now it's only a matter of time until we have a fully working emulator. :rolleyes:

Awesome! Someone has finally addressed the 3DS screen problem that was holding us back. Now it's only a matter of time until we have a fully working emulator. :rolleyes:
Ok if you write the dynarec, I'll write the video and control plugins ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
without my paandora in my hands yet, the bs nds emulator is... the nds. and while im waiting thing im getiing me a 3ds.

The problem is of a totally different nature and you got it all wrong.

The Nintendo DS has two screens, one normal screen and one touch-screen (for innovative input- and gameplay methods!). Now one problem is the arrangement of two screens on only one. This luckily has already been solved by some brilliant minds in this community.

Now mcobit and I talked about this on IRC and he objected with another big problem, which we already have a solution for, though. With that solved there actually is no good reason not to have a fully-working and playable NDS emulator on the Pandora (don't believe the lies of the nay-sayers who are just too afraid to lose their good call over not being able to produce a working emulator!).

The MAIN problem being that you cannot emulate a non-touchscreen on a touchscreen (remember one of the NDS screens in non-touchable, but all of the Pandora's screen is).

This obviously is a lot harder to tackle than the screen distribution dilemma, but here are two (actually three, but one is slightly tricky) possible solutions for this:

1) Fabricate a new LCD cable, which will only activate half of the Pandora's touchscreen (expensive, new part, unnecessary complicated)

2) Disable part of the resistive grid of the touchscreen via hardware (which will void you warranty, so better not do that)

3) Just cut off half of the resistive surface with a very sharp knife (a kitchen knife won't do, though!). It's actually not that tricky to do (schematic here) - I just did it on my Pandora to prepare for the emulator to be released soon.

Hope this helps to clear the mess caused by false opinions and "facts" in this thread.

EDIT: By popular request I also made a video of how to prepare your Pandora for the emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wBzqOa9y02I?feature=oembed

The MAIN problem being that you cannot emulate a non-touchscreen on a touchscreen (remember one of the NDS screens in non-touchable, but all of the Pandora's screen is).

Sorry, was this sarcastic? That's easy to compensate for in software (unless I'm missing something vital?)

unless I'm missing something vital?

I would say you are missing something very important

Then please explain. Because as far as I can see it, you don't have to "emulate" non-touchscreen, you just alter the coordinates of the mouse position to within the range of the "touchscreen" display window. Any coordinates not within the 256x192 range of the DS get scrapped off and not sent to the emulator.

unless I'm missing something vital?

I would say you are missing something very important

Then please explain. Because as far as I can see it, you don't have to "emulate" non-touchscreen, you just alter the coordinates of the mouse position to within the range of the "touchscreen" display window. Any coordinates not within the 256x192 range of the DS get scrapped off and not sent to the emulator.

What you're missing is that none of these posters are serious. NDS emulator threads are so overplayed that everybody immediately goes into silly mode, pretends to never have heard this before, proposes ridiculously complicated solutions to non-problems, and generally tries to keep a straight face until some mod comes out of the woodwork to close the thread.

Everybody is being intentionally stupid. If you wanna play, you'd do better to propose a touch-sensitivity mod for the keyboard or something.

and generally tries to keep a straight face until some mod comes out of the woodwork to close the thread.
Or take part.

I don't want to close these things - at least this way, existing ones can be pointed to, where pre-existing silliness is on display for all to see.

Also, I find them kind of funny. :p

Back