Nintendo Gives European Wii Price

KoH

The Wii console from Japanese gaming giant Nintendo will cost under 250 euros (£170) in Europe, according to a senior executive at the company.

The figure is the first time the games giant has given a European price.

Bernd Fakesch, head of German operations at the company, mentioned the figure in an interview at the Leipzig Game Convention in Germany.

In May, the company said the console would cost 25,000 yen or lower in Japan and $250 (£133) or less in the US.

When it is released later this year, the Wii console will compete with Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) and Microsoft's Xbox 360. No exact date for the Wii's launch has been given.

full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5280958.stm

It seems a pretty fair price to me.

I cant wait for mario kart !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the any news on when its going to be released ?? maby some nice screen shots :D

I wonder what it will lauch at in the UK.

£169 seems a bit weird.
but
£150 seems a bit cheap.

I bet when they said Europe, they really meant the Eurozone and us Brits will get shafted with a £199 price tag. I hope not.

I can't believe that I'm saying this but...
If Nintendo release at that price they are gonna get whipped by Microsoft.

Also, the 360 will have PES6 and FIFA 07 exclusively for one year. Thats a serious pain in the ass for Sony :blink: Microsoft is doing quite some good deals lately.

I reckon thw Wii will cost £180 here in the UK, just like the cube. I also believe that first party games will cost £40 while third party games could be as cheap as £29.99 or less(think Dragon Ball Z on wii seening as it will be released on the ps2 as well). As for the Wii Sports/Wii Music/Wii motorsports games, i reckon they will retail at about £29.99 or less due to the fact they wont possess the same amount of spit and polish as other games at launch.

Of course these haven't been stated as the real prices, but going on how Nintendo is releasing the Wii as an affordable console for all ages these figures should be pretty accurate. Official news should come just after the Games Convention in Leipzig as shops in Europe have been given Wii countdown clocks so watch out for these in ur local games store in europe in the coming days/weeks. However, they will only be turned on once the release date has been announced.

To achieve the effect Nintendo want, I think they need to be aiming towards the £120-£130 range. £170 odd is too close to the Xbox 360 awful pack.

I just had a thought, could Nintendo be sharing this information to guage if this would be a good price point based on the response from the public?

Goity posted on Aug 24 2006 at 07:54 PM said:
To achieve the effect Nintendo want, I think they need to be aiming towards the £120-£130 range. £170 odd is too close to the Xbox 360 awful pack.
It'll probably be cheaper than £120 in the US the way things are going.

£170 in the UK is probable but still a little high for my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:
declaration posted on Aug 24 2006 at 08:12 PM said:
Goity posted on Aug 24 2006 at 07:54 PM said:
It'll probably be cheaper than £120 in the US the way things are going.

£170 in the UK is probable but still a little high for my liking.
I meant in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
$250 U.S. is to my liking. 360 at $400 core, and PS3 at $600ish(chuckles). Plus Wii, according to the Wiki will have web browser support and Java support. It just seems to be the smarter buy for me.

Edit: And with metal slug anthology as a launch title, who can lose!

Wii for me. The other consoles are just too expensive for me currently (Hell, I'm not sure if I'll be able to accomodate the expense of a Wii currently!) and also a lot of the games I can just get on PC... (there's a couple of things that I'll miss, Final Fantasy etc... but that's something I have always just put up with.)

I'd like to say that I'd pick up a 360 when the price comes down a bit... but most probably I'll just lose intrest like I always seem to do...

I will never buy a PS3 because it's not aimed at me at all, it's too expensive, and is trying to promote technologies I have absolutely no intrest in.

I own a 360 and I must say, everything works great and how it's supposed to work, but the graphics are some damn fine I almost get tears in my eyes! And that's when I play Ridge Racer 6.

The thing I like about nintendo is that I have the feeling Nintendo is a multiplayer based console creator, and with some frieds and beer, Nintendo is the ultimate choice! I am 17 now and some of my friends are 18 and we have allot of fun playing Mario Kart or Mario Party on the GameCube.

So for the sake of friends and fun, buy a Wii! :) Also Wii has some kind of arcade feeling cause of the Motion Sensing - Remote and I like arcade games above any other game.

Another reason for Mii to buy a Wii ;)

Wii pricing and release date are supposed to be getting announced on the 14th of September in New York. Also rumored is that there will be a Wii launch party in Los Angeles on the 17th of November hinting that the Wii will launch around a week or so after the PS3

Back