Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely that would make it an Evolution rather then a gimmick as it is an improvement of an older model?

technically, yes, but it still doesn't offer any kind of extra convenience, so it's an evolved gimmick. The PowerGlove was both an innovation and a gimmick because it was actually a new concept.

This is freaking awsome, i don't know why everyone thinks it sucks but, have you all not read the features it has?

Just imagine, using two of those controlers to play a boxing game like gloves. Since it can read up, down, back, forward, it will know if u throw a jab, a hook, or an upercut. Or how about a first person type game but with a sword using the controller, star wars for instance. I could go on, how tennis, football.....its freaking awsome. Just imagine, throwing a football, depending of how fast u move and the angle of your hands the ball would either be a bullet or a lob, far or short.

And since you can attach some thing to it, they can just make a normal pad, or maybe use the cube or snes controler for normal games that are made for PS3 and 360, so porting games from other system is not a problem.

Come on just think on how freaking revolutionary this is... so many ideas of games that can be made only on this system. I think everyone's just looking at pictures an judging by looks. I'm not i fan boy, in fact i usually get all systems, and will again this generation, but i can honestly say i'm most exited by a huge margin about the revolution.

Nintendo has never lost money on a system. Microsoft has lost $1 billion a year on XBOX.

Now tell me, why would anyone believe a company that has seen nothing but profit would just close up shop and become a 3rd party (meaning they'd then be subject to royalties and all that good profit-eating stuff)?

Obviously 3rd party software doesn't drive the Nintendo home consoles.

No, this won't be as successful as the PS3 and probably not as sucessful as the X360. But will it be financially successful? Odds are it will.

Ugh, nintendo fan at heart but I absoloutely hate their gimmicks and "innovation" in their systems and games instead of content and quality as of late.

We -could- flesh out zelda's storyline and add more quests, weapons, and cool easter eggs, OR WE COULD MAKE YOU SWING A CONTROLLER TO SLASH! WHICH WILL WE CHOOSE? <_<

and -yes- I read about it, it still sounds like another blown out of proportion gimmick that will add -nothing- to games I play. Besides, my left hand is partially crippled due to a bad hit I got at the back of my head (blessed be whatever for makeing it just my hand and not my entire left side) and this thing may actually be -impossible- for me to use with any left handed add ons even if I liked it. So it's a moot point all around.

Also, I doubt this will "change gamiing forever" ala the very convenient N64 controller. As it uses things so exotic and probably hard to make and wild in the controller itself that no one would even care to imitate it.

Nintendo, please retire/commit yourself, you're the senile old grandparent who keeps hanging around talking about how he fought martians in the civil war constantly and so convinced that he actually did it that it makes everyone feel bad and uncomfortable to even -hear- about you anymore.

Well for me this the first console I'm interested in in years. I stopped buying games and consoles when everything went 3D and - to me - all the genres merged into one. I can't tell the difference between a 3D platform game, RPG or an FPS anymore (well I can but they are too much alike for my taste ;)).

Nowadays I'm more a retro-gamer and am actually quite happy I'll be able to play the best of Nintendo's games on one console and I love what Nintendo is trying to do. They are willing to take a risk and maybe they will fail doing so, but at least they are trying to bring something new instead of just adding another game to a series. This might inspire some developers to see what kind of games they can come up with to fully use the possibilities this controller has to offer.

I thought GP32 owners would be a little more openminded.

RoboJoe32 posted on Sep 16 2005 at 05:07 PM said:
We -could- flesh out zelda's storyline and add more quests, weapons, and cool easter eggs, OR WE COULD MAKE YOU SWING A CONTROLLER TO SLASH! WHICH WILL WE CHOOSE? <_<
Umm... How about both? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said before, I want to see GAMES. The fancy uncomfortable looking controller does not make a good game. Honestly if they can show me something that uses this controller confortably and with less problematic control than I expect than great, whoopie, I might even concider buying one in the future when they;re cheaper. But right now they're showing us nothin'.

As for the Sony "boomerang" they're still saying it's not neccesarilly their final controller design so we still have time for them to come to their senses. or atleast include an official USB adapter so we can use our old controllers.

As has already been said in this thread, and all over the Internet countless times:

If you want a PS2.5 or an Xbox 1.5, get those consoles. If you want something new (that isn't a 'souped up powerglove') get the Revolution.

Simple.

Yeah, people need to be more open minded.

Think about it, nintendo has countless financial advisors, obviously they arent just gonna let nintendo commit financial suicide, they must think that this is a good investment, i trust them.

Umm... How about both? dry.gif

Because nintendo is (now) the master of going with the gimmick and bending the game around the gimmick. While adding very little in the process.

Very doubtful of there being a both.

also rofl, thanks to vgcats for this link, totally found the inspiration for the controller.

NOT WORK SAFE OMG SEX TOY SITE

RoboJoe32 posted on Sep 16 2005 at 11:46 PM said:
Umm... How about both? dry.gif

Because nintendo is (now) the master of going with the gimmick and bending the game around the gimmick. While adding very little in the process.

Very doubtful of there being a both.

also rofl, thanks to vgcats for this link, totally found the inspiration for the controller.

NOT WORK SAFE OMG SEX TOY SITE

If you say that because of the DS's first year output, then that's a bit short-sighted isn't it?

Still, I'm slightly worried about how in-depth the first years worth of games will be from the third parties, to be honest. But it's something we have to cope with; eventually they will get used to the technology, just as they did with the N64. I still expect some absolute corkers from Nintendo.

If you say that because of the DS's first year output, then that's a bit short-sighted isn't it?

Nah, meant in general (Donkey konga is another example) these days.

I will still try it, it'd be idiotic to not try it at all. And my curiosity will not let me -not- try such an alien looking device. But I don't have to like it ;)

RoboJoe32 posted on Sep 16 2005 at 11:54 PM said:

Nah, meant in general (Donkey konga is another example) these days.

I will still try it, it'd be idiotic to not try it at all. And my curiosity will not let me -not- try such an alien looking device. But I don't have to like it ;)

Donkey Konga? But...that's what the Bongo's are for. Countless companies have released special pads for games like that. Jungle Beat (the platformer that uses the bongos) is a really good game too; I love games that 'flow' like that.

I'm glad you'll be trying it. As soon as most people get hold of a sword fighting game, or Tennis game, you'll change your minds ;)

Apart from the obese. Who will want to remain in their chairs.

Looks very interesting, I'll definitely hit it...

...Boohoo, I cant play N64 games with this piece of shit. THAT'S WHAT THE FUCKING GAMECUBE CONTROLLER PORTS ARE FOR YOU IDIOTS.

sob sob, my life is ruined because nintendo decided to try and do something differently.WAAAAAAA. Maybe you should wait until the actual thing is released before you decide on how pointless/difficult/uncool it is to use for playing videogames with

...and if you really care THAT MUCH about how Nintendo trying out a different controller will ruin gaming for you forever, then you should really think about jumping out of that window. Because gamepads as we know them will not be around forever. If you reach your eighties and are still playing videogames with a pad that has a typical SNES layout with an analogue stick, then you can say I'm wrong. In the meantime, you naysayers should wake up to the fact the only certainty in life is CHANGE.

As for content, we will have to wait and see...but since this announcement I have along with many collegues/friends thought of many, many ideas that could be utilised by this controller...there's no reason why game developers wouldn't have had the same or at least similar ideas in regards to what could be done with this hardware...the future may yet hold many surprises for us...

As for it comparing it to the Powerglove....now that is totally fucking redundant. The Powerglove came out at a time when true 3D gaming didnt fully exist, so saying that the Revolution pad is a "rehash" is fucking nonsense. The only directions that games of that period had to adhere to were left or right / up or down. Since when did you use your Powerglove to control fully 3-dimensional depth or more expressive forms of movement? Punchout! wasn't that involving...

People reacted in the same way when cinema aquired sound and colour, and look how wrong they turned out to be...videogaming will not remain the static rose-tinted visionof the 80's/90's that you want it to be, it is an artform and like every other artform that has come before it will continue to change and evolve to the point that if you were to look at it 100 years down the line it would be unrecognisable. This is the the first step on that path, and deny all you like but this is much closer to what videogaming will be like in 50 years then playing a graphically enhanced version of a well-known game with yet another iteration of the snes/dual shock controller.

Evolve or die.

Yeah, that'll definitely make me like that thing... TENNIS! Yup... I really just LOVE to do things in videogames that I hate doing in real life... That's why I'll be very excited when they come out with the next big MATH game! YEAH!!! GO, MATH!!! <_<

*EDIT*

First of all, calling it a souped up Powerglove is NOT redundant unless it's already been done about 8 billion times. Redundant = repetetive, and as far as calling something what it is is concerned, that doesn't matter anyway. You could call my posts redundant, but that's only if I continuously repeat myself, which isn't the case.

Secondly, it IS a souped up powerglove. "The revolution controller has a few "features," like different dimensions of space, that the powerglove didn't have, therefore it's not a souped up version of the powerglove, despite the fact that it's the exact same concept. That's why I said SOUPED UP. It's not the EXACT same thing as a powerglove, but it is the exact same concept. It's just built for different kinds of games that we didn't have the technology to make back when the powerglove came out.

And just because life is constantly changing, that doesn't mean that Nintendo is innovative by changing just for the sake of change. I couldn't possibly care less whether or not I'll be able to play gamecube games with the controller; I don't even HAVE a gamecube. Do you honestly think by the way I talk about Nintendo in my posts that I'd ever even consider buying one? Whether it'll let you use gamecube controllers or not is irrelavent because this is the primary controller. That means that probably at least 90% of the games that Nintendo makes are going to force you to use this stupid thing, rather than giving you a choice. It won't offer any new kinds of gameplay, it'll just make everything feel awkward. You're still gonna be doing the same shit in games you've been doing; you'll just be doing them in slightly different ways.

*EDIT*
Stupid typos...

I personally love it. Swing the sword in zelda. Shoot the person in fps. Did you see the TGS keynote? The trailor was so sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back