Nintendo Revolution To Launch With 221 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol im playing gc atm ;) (arr i love my new 1€ ebay tv card ;) )

and the problem with the l & r buttons of the playstation controller is not that my hands are to small, they are to big. :lol:
The buttons should be at the end of my finger or, like on the gc controller, so that i can wrap my finger around them.
But on the ps2 the L & R buttons are so tiny that i have to press them with the middle of my finger which is very uncomfortable :rolleyes:

The GCN layout is logical you have your main button you press that is bigger so you can find it w/out looking then you have your less used ones that are ~1/2 the size

ones to the left botten and the others are at the top and they are all easily reached

and the controller is so confortible

I agree that the PS ones are logical too but it's just easier to some people than others so I guess it comes down to matter of opion and hye you cna use a PS/GCN/Xbox controllers on the otehr systems anyways

(just search for them on liksang.com)

Yeah, I know you can, but I only own a PS2 from this generation and nothing else, so I have no reason to buy an adapter... however, if I had any other system, I would buy an adapter so that I could use my RetroCon on all 3 of them.

Yeah, I know you can, but I only own a PS2 from this generation and nothing else, so I have no reason to buy an adapter... however, if I had any other system, I would buy an adapter so that I could use my RetroCon on all 3 of them.
yeah I only own a GCN and I would like a PS2 but this generation is almost over and my gp32 pwnz

Last edited by a moderator:
Magus, your use of the word logical doesn't make sense. To be blunt, it's not logical.

What on Earth isn't logical about the GC pad? The buttons were designed so that they are matched to their role in games.

Plus, I noticed a comment about there not being a select button on Nintendo consoles anymore. It's not as if it ever did anything is it really?

You say you dont like the GC controller because you have to look down to see where the buttons are, yet you have only played it a few times

I play the PS2 quite a lot and I've only just stopped forgetting which ones square and which one circle

I havent looked down at my GC controller since about 2 days after I got it, it just feels right

I like the XBOX S controller, but the way the buttons were slanted on the original just got me all confused

I didn't say I didn't like it because I have to look at the controller to play it... what I said is this: "If you don't already know where each button is, you have to look down at the controller." That sentence was referring to the PLACEMENT of the buttons in relation to each other, like "I feel a really big button... where are the rest..? *looks down* wtf?" ... I was not referring to "I feel this button, but what is it? *looks down* Oh, it's X" Do you understand now? It's not logical because it has no pattern. Somebody who has never played videogames before would find it harder to learn to use a gamecube controller than to learn to use a Playstatoin 2 controller.

Take a look... here we can see a diamond shape
ps2-controller-sony.jpg

See the pattern? Because it's in a familiar shape, when you touch one button, you know where the rest are. You might not know which direction X is from circle, but you know that if you're touching the button on the bottom, there are 3 more... one to the right, one to the left, and one at the top.

The gamecube controller follows no such pattern... no pattern of any kind at all, in fact.

fart1.jpg

fart222.jpg

fart4.jpg

Attachments

• ps2-controller-sony.jpg
    ps2-controller-sony.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 127
  • fart1.jpg
    fart1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 135
  • fart222.jpg
    fart222.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 120
  • fart4.jpg
    fart4.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 131
Magus 86 : Cool you like the playstation controller, no ones going to change your mind which is right as each to there own as we are all different.

But you come across like your some kind of authority on gaming or something. Obviously nintendo have got it right for a lot of people, judging by the every post on this page as you seem to think they haven't got a clue when it comes to the design when clearly they have.

Dude you need to chill out. Go outside in the sun watch some girls go by with their lovely bottoms, smoke some grass, take a chill pill life is to short to spend it on long winded posts ;)

Magus, sorry to be blunt, but if you can't find B, X and Y on a Gamecube pad there's something very wrong with you.

And, again, buttons don't need to be in a perfect shape to be logical. Our hands aren't square, so we need things that fit them.

your argument makes no sense

infact it supports the gamecube more

when you have a thumb blindly on a ps2 button you have no idea where the rest are

the gamecube with its different shaped buttons actually allows for a better blind location

Because it's in a familiar shape, when you touch one button, you know where the rest are. You might not know which direction X is from circle, but you know that if you're touching the button on the bottom, there are 3 more... one to the right, one to the left, and one at the top.

you say this, but its plain wrong.

you don't know where you are in relation to any other button without reference to another button.

as you say yourself, you have no idea which button represents which symbol

with the gamecube, provided you had some small play time with it, you'd know the buttons from their shape and location.

your argument makes no sense

infact it supports the gamecube more

when you have a thumb blindly on a ps2 button you have no idea where the rest are

the gamecube with its different shaped buttons actually allows for a better blind location

Because it's in a familiar shape, when you touch one button, you know where the rest are. You might not know which direction X is from circle, but you know that if you're touching the button on the bottom, there are 3 more... one to the right, one to the left, and one at the top.

you say this, but its plain wrong.

you don't know where you are in relation to any other button without reference to another button.

as you say yourself, you have no idea which button represents which symbol

with the gamecube, provided you had some small play time with it, you'd know the buttons from their shape and location.

Why is it that every time I say something in a non-absolute manner(by saying MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT, for example... for this specific example...) it's always taken as absolute? I said "You MIGHT NOT know which direction X is from circle, but you know that if you're touching the button on the bottom, there are 3 more... one to the right, one to the left, and one at the top." That doesn't mean that I personally do not know where the buttons are... I've had a playstation since 1996... that's 9 years. I know where the buttons are, and I know which one is which... I was saying that if you weren't familiar at all with either controller the playstation one will be easier to pick up and get used to. It doesn't matter what shape a button is, that doesn't make it any easier to remember its name and location. It's easier to just remember top, bottom, left, or right than it is to remember "cashew shaped button above the big circular button." Just because I can feel a different shape, that doesn't mean I can identify the buttons more easily, and I still wouldn't know exactly where the rest are in relation to it because they're placed randomly on the controller.

If I have my thumb blindly on a ps2 controller and I touch one of the 4 buttons, I know exactly where the other 3 are because it's in a pattern I'm familiar with... a square that's been tilted by 45 degrees... EVERYBODY knows what a square is.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay put it liek this you lay the controller flat on a surface and you close your eyes and touch a button now one PS2 they are all smae shape / size and you don't know 100% sure where another one is

okay in the GCN do teh same thing you feel a large A button and you know up is another button and right is another and left is another

and the differnet shapes / size help you tell what button it is

well I see that as logical then a diamond

where if you touch the left button you could try to make a diamond to the left too

but if you touch a chesew shaped button you know down is A

A blind person could more easily know what the buttons are on a gc controller than a ps2 controller... Its incedibly easy... and the letters are carved into the buttons...
GC controller is my favorite...
*Goes into basement to play gamecube.*

It doesn't matter if the letters are carved into the buttons or not. A blind person can't play videogames because a blind person can't see what's going on. he/she'd have no way of knowing what's going on unless someone's describing it to him/her. And blind people learn braille, which isn't even close to our regular alphabet... so that wouldn't help at all anyway. and yes, you could technically make a diamond in any direction from any button on the ps2 controller except for the fact that it's in a small circular section, and you can always feel if you're at the edge. Aside from that, when you touch one button you can usually feel at least 1 other around it. If you feel 2 at a time, you know where the other 3 will be based on where your thumb is in relation to the rest of your hand.

Magus, I'm not entirely sure what we all are talking about :D You say someone who has never played video games will find it harder to learn to use the Gamecube controller than a PS2 controller. You go on and elaborate by saying that the diamond is a familiar shape. But this person has never played video games before! The shape is familiar to you because you play often.

As you said yourself, you never really tried it out. While you might think my arguments make no sense, I know they do. Put your thumb on the A button and you KNOW where everything is - also everything can be reached very quick and in an efficient manner, because the cashew shape actually conforms to your thumb. The layout itself also is no problem at all. You seem to think the only good layout is a syymetrical layout. Fact is, neither your hands are symmetrical nor are all buttons of the same importance. The A button is the button that gets mapped with an important action, and it just works. As a direct example: We are currently moving and our new neighbours' three year old son was getting on my nerves and asked me if he could play with my gamecube. I let him play Mario Kart. He could play it without me even explaining the buttons because he naturally assumed A = important = accelerate.

@Mosch-your 3 year old son understands English, I'm depressed! :(

@Madge-The argument is that anyone can pick up the Gamecube controller and feel at home! So if I were to say to you 'you have only played with it 4 times, how can you make a judgement????', I would be shooting myself in the foot somewhat, as you should have said after the first game 'Hey! this feels GREAT!!!'!!

But I think it's clear from your posts that, while having a real knowledge of the games you love, and a real passion for games (which I really like, and enjoy :D ), you are incredibly intransigent. When you beleive you are right, you won't budge. And I suspect that you love the older style controllers, cos you know your way around them. So when something new comes out, you get all het up! I therefore conclude (!) that you approached the Gamecube controller with an attitude of 'man, this is gonna suck!'. But if it looked like the old nes/snes ones, then you would have loved it!

Just my thoughts, dunno why we all get so worked up about it! I just want things to keep evolving! Progress is good, when it keeps one eye on the past! Learn and move forward!

Thus ends another lesson for you all! That will be $50, please pay my boy by the door and get the hell outta here, ya punks!

Been watching this thread go nuts... man you guys really are funny. Some of you have to try so hard to defend the systems you love while simultaneously pointing out everything that is so 'wrong' with any system you don't. Now it's controllers. You know what... I won't even bother to venture my own oppinion as to which *I* like best, but suffice it to say that, owning all three current systems, I can easily say that ALL THREE SYSTEMS' CONTROLLERS WORK JUST FINE. I'm so sick of people ragging on the PS2 controller. The gamecube controller as well. The Xbox S controller is great as well, and as a matter of fact, I even liked the larger controller that the US Xbox's originally shipped with, for some games, though it is the closest one to actually sucking, IMO, because of how close together the buttons are layed out. None of these controllers is hard to use, or just so damned uncomfortable. People obviously love the PS controllers seing as they've been unchanged for almost TEN YEARS. People obviously love the Xbox S controller considering they sold so well that MS doesn't even sell the original large controllers anymore. And the GC controller was universally praised right from the start. None of them are perfect but they are all great.

I will say that, when Playstation first came out, yeah it was hard memorizing the square, triangle, etc. as opposed to a usual ABXY. The buttons are PLACED just fine, just that, when a game would ask you to press circle, for a while I didn't know which one was which and would have to look down. But I also had problems memorizing the X and Y buttons on the GC controller and constantly kept mixing those up. And aren't the Xbox's buttons reversed from the SNES's buttons? I seem to remember having a little bit of confusion with the Xbox at first too... I kept mixing up A for B and X for Y, they were opposite of what I was used to.

Seriously though you guys are REALLY funny, I mean that in a laughing AT you sorta way. To debate something as silly as this so heavily for so long.

Once again, Bast points out our folly!

I feel SO ashamed!!!! :(

But it's Mingpuss's fault! He started it!!!! :p

Seriously do you guys ever PLAY games or just sit around and argue about them all day??? One wonders with all this internet arguing how some of you actually find the time to play the games and form all these oppinions about them!

Lubidog :D you funny funny man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back