Nintendo Sixty Fooooooooooooooooooour!

sverm said:
This is excellent, and exciting! I assume the "dead zone" will be configurable? It seems the "down" direction got triggered often when the "up" direction got released suddenly and the nub sprung back, no?

uh oh. this is bad. quick, someone screenshot this guys post before he's carted off in the back of a van and never seen again.

but seriously, if there is a fault like this that can't be fixed, so much for those "2 years in development" nubs?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a big deal if the nub software needs tweaking. At best, it's easily configurable. At worst, all you need to do is recompile the kernel.

Maybe someone in the know can say how Sin & Punishment is running? That is possibly the best N64 game ever made! Thanks again Craig!
Surprisingly, Sin and Punishment runs pretty well.... through the first level at least.

Adventus said:
Maybe someone in the know can say how Sin & Punishment is running? That is possibly the best N64 game ever made! Thanks again Craig!
Surprisingly, Sin and Punishment runs pretty well.... through the first level at least.

Adventus, you rock! Thanks for checking that one out. If it runs good on the first level, hopefully it will run great thru out. Although if you can, get to the aircraft carrier level(3rd or 4th I believe. It is insane(check out youtube vids)! This is one of my all time favs, and I really look forward to playing this one in the palm of my hands. The only problem I see with S&P is that it used every button on the N64 controller, and the placement was perfect for this game. Hopefully I can come up with a config that works for me. I never thought I would have that problem, as I never thought this would run at any playable level so soon. But this is the kinda of problems I like! Thanks Again!

Jumpman

Noob question: How are N64 games being rendered at 800 x 480 (or 400 x 240) if 1. original games were not widescreen (are we just stretching it and sacrificing aspect ratio) and 2. original resolution was much lower? Sounds like magic.

Looking really good! Only played Mario Kart 64 on a friends machine, but I always wanted to try out Sin and Punishment.
As for a Sega Saturn emulator? That would be insane! (...and my copy of Radiant Silvergun and Elevator Action 2 would probably plummet in price!)

Paradox said:
sverm said:
This is excellent, and exciting! I assume the "dead zone" will be configurable? It seems the "down" direction got triggered often when the "up" direction got released suddenly and the nub sprung back, no?

uh oh. this is bad. quick, someone screenshot this guys post before he's carted off in the back of a van and never seen again.

but seriously, if there is a fault like this that can't be fixed, so much for those "2 years in development" nubs?
There's nothing wrong with the nubs. They don't go down when you release them. Quit trying to start shit all the time.

JerryG20 said:
Noob question: How are N64 games being rendered at 800 x 480 (or 400 x 240) if 1. original games were not widescreen (are we just stretching it and sacrificing aspect ratio) and 2. original resolution was much lower? Sounds like magic.

Because they are 3D games, they don't really have a resolution, you could scale the 3D to whatever you wanted. You can make it look better than the original.

Think how you can adjust all those graphical settings on PC 3D games. It's the same sort of thing here.

sverm said:

No.

SONY said:
It's just being scaled, I think?
No, it's actually rendering at a higher resolution (& using a wider field of view). In essence, some games will look better than they did on the original N64. (though maybe the wider field of view could sometimes allow you to see things that aren't meant to be seen)

This isn't possible for 2D games, of course.

EDIT: Oops, beaten by Craig. Actually, I do remember 2D platformer games on PC in which the resolution could be changed in that way (Jazz Jackrabbit 2, for one), so who knows...

What the hell? I was under the impression that n64 emulation was a pipe dream that COOOULD MAAAAYBE be feasible well into the pandora's life and only after lots of god-like coding shenanigans :eek:
What did I miss? Did everyone else get a memo? :D

@JerryG20, just to expand on what Craig said: 3D graphics use vectors/polygons. Using Mario as the example, back in SNES days he was drawn using a set amount of pixels (a raster image). If you scaled him up he got blocky. On the N64, the Mario model is made from a bunch of points in space - like a 3D dot-to-dot picture. Lines are drawn between each dot, then it's rendered with colours/textures. If you expand that 3D dot-to-dot puzzle to four times the size, or a tiny 20th of the size, it still works the same way - the dots get connected, then the surfaces get rendered.

Gruso said:
@JerryG20, just to expand on what Craig said: 3D graphics use vectors/polygons. Using Mario as the example, back in SNES days he was drawn using a set amount of pixels (a raster image). If you scaled him up he got blocky. On the N64, the Mario model is made from a bunch of points in space - like a 3D dot-to-dot picture. Lines are drawn between each dot, then it's rendered with colours/textures. If you expand that 3D dot-to-dot puzzle to four times the size, or a tiny 20th of the size, it still works the same way - the dots get connected, then the surfaces get rendered.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, but I'm still confused on how it is suddenly widescreen...I don't see any extra space on the sides of the screen being rendered, so does that mean that we are losing vertical data/image to render it in widescreen? Or do we actually *see* more in this widescreen resolution than with the original console version?

Back