No Fungp .. No Shocker There

Jan-Nik, no, I can't really understand. You just have to take as it is with this stuff, GPH sure isn't the smartest bunch on the planet, but they've managed to stay afloat for quite a few years while in this highly niche market. The niche might be growing now and who's the top dog in the future remains to be seen, but they're doing their basic mission, which is getting hackable hardware out there through retail and with some level of support for failures. The rest is just extra.

Chip said:
Peter R said:
Just that they are going to make another system aswell
Nintendo did the same thing with the GBA models. The original and SP co-existed for at least a year or two before they discontinued the original. The SP and Micro, likewise. As long as the two Wiz models are totally compatible, it would be a smart move to keep selling both. The only thing that would trip them up is if there was some small but vital difference - like the display orientation - that meant everybody would have to compile two separate versions of every program.
Well we really don't know when or what this will be. For all we know the "new" version could still use the same SoC but just be a cheaper version with a cheap LCD (OLED is still expensive) and some other gimmick. I suspect they are reeling from the thumping given to them by the super cheap dingoo. They never expected this cheap Chinese MP4 player to come in from nowhere and steal the show with a rock bottom price. My bet would be on a low cost handheld that may be compatible. This SoC is used in that cheap $50.00 leapfrog device so it might be something inexpensive like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what's taking so long for the official games to be released. I know they're waiting for the FunGP to launch and making a functional site takes time, but apparently some of the games have been finished. I know the guy who's making Kaiten Patisserie, he actually finished the game a long time ago and gave it to GP, expecting it to be available for the Wiz launch. He's pretty frustrated because they've had really poor contact with him and he has no idea when his game will actually release, I asked him if he would continue making Wiz games and he didn't have the most positive response! Not the best way to win over developers...

There has been a problem with FunGP and they have had to re-code a lot of the site, it will be opened sometime in May next year. GPH apologise for the delay but they want it to be correct before opening the site.

Addition:
Regarding the New console, GPH have mentioned that most software will be compatible with the Wiz, but unfortunately not all will be.

:huh: another delay? it's getting somehow ridiculous ... firmware excuses (programmer left?), recode the site? seems there's a lot of fluctuation going on at GPH...

WarmFluffyUK said:
There has been a problem with FunGP and they have had to re-code a lot of the site, it will be opened sometime in May next year. GPH apologise for the delay but they want it to be correct before opening the site.

Addition:
Regarding the New console, GPH have mentioned that most software will be compatible with the Wiz, but unfortunately not all will be.

What is the motivation for making a new console so soon?

Regards

André

fettouhi said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

Addition:

What is the motivation for making a new console so soon?

Regards

André

Money?

WarmFluffyUK said:
So despite using essentially the same hardware and providing no additional functionality, the new console isn't completely backwards (sidewards?) compatible with the existing Wiz.

How very... GPH.

I think GPH (despite being told) thought the pollux would be much more powerful than it was. I expect they wanted N64 and psx emulation and are distressed now they have realised it isn't going to happen.

So they are rushing a new device out probably using another SOC. They of course won't bother to research it in advance, it's probably just MES's latest offering.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Meeeooowwwww....

I love this place, the bitching is soo like a night out at my friends house :D

hehe, it's typical for forums, if anyone starts to rant, everyone else jumps in :)

Anyway, i really hope they will make their promises come true with FunGP and game releases... let's say in the next 6 months :p

The fun thing is this is exactly the contrary to what happens at GP32Spain, in which people only rants about Pandora dalays. :D

Nice to see there are other POVs around the world. :lol:

WarmFluffyUK said:

Addition:

postpwned.

craigix said:
I think GPH (despite being told) thought the pollux would be much more powerful than it was. I expect they wanted N64 and psx emulation and are distressed now they have realised it isn't going to happen.

So they are rushing a new device out probably using another SOC. They of course won't bother to research it in advance, it's probably just MES's latest offering.

What's MES's latest offering? mesdigital.com is down again. I guess GPH isn't the only company that can't hire a web developer.

If GPH is really aiming for N64 emulation, they should seriously consider something like S5PC100 instead of MagicEyes.

klikklak said:
Jan-Nik, no, I can't really understand. You just have to take as it is with this stuff, GPH sure isn't the smartest bunch on the planet, but they've managed to stay afloat for quite a few years while in this highly niche market. The niche might be growing now and who's the top dog in the future remains to be seen, but they're doing their basic mission, which is getting hackable hardware out there through retail and with some level of support for failures. The rest is just extra.
You are right and I'm sorry for the ranting. Nevertheless I am very disappointed when it comes to developing for the Wiz. And GPH didn't help me out, it was hcf and Pickle. If those things were available right from the start of the Wiz I would have developed some games for it, but now I rather wait for the Pandora. And I think many other devs will do that, too.
Now I see that this doesn't make me angry or hate GPH, it actually makes me sad. I would have loved to publish games via FunGP. :(

Chip said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
So despite using essentially the same hardware and providing no additional functionality, the new console isn't completely backwards (sidewards?) compatible with the existing Wiz.

How very... GPH.

"The new GPH Handheld will be compatible with the majority of GP2X Wiz software by simply recompiling".

God, I should do PR for GPH. I'm good at this.

D.

Back