Nokia moving to WP7

Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon buddy, Case Western High, I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good point, does anyone on this forum use anything other than Google?

Would anyone who bought one of those phones not instantly switch the search url to google?

It is a horrible treat to watch Microsoft struggle like this.

I'm still using Altavista (even though it got worse and worse over time...) but only because I hate Google. ^^

I'm still using Altavista (even though it got worse and worse over time...) but only because I hate Google. ^^
altavista?!? let me guess you are still using netscape too?

hey emnasut, 1990 called, they want their relevant search engine back

hold on.. hold on.. i gotta charge up my hours from my AOL cd

hey hey... watch this, I'm about to kill his internet connection on his 2400 baud modem

Newberry87_aerial_big_obsidian_flow_10-87.jpg

that's all I got.. [/flameoff]

altavista?!? let me guess you are still using netscape too?

hey emnasut, 1990 called, they want their relevant search engine back

hold on.. hold on.. i gotta charge up my hours from my AOL cd

hey hey... watch this, I'm about to kill his internet connection on his 2400 baud modem

Newberry87_aerial_big_obsidian_flow_10-87.jpg
that's all I got.. [/flameoff]

Nope, I'm using firefox for a long time. :)

And altavista was the best search engine back then, even if it's now just a skinned Yahoo! search. Google though has the most annoying name and colors ever and it's even invading our language what with "to google s.th" and I just don't like it. ^^

And altavista was the best search engine back then, even if it's now just a skinned Yahoo! search. Google though has the most annoying name and colors ever and it's even invading our language what with "to google s.th" and I just don't like it. ^^

"Invading the language". The same way that "Hoovering" has? It's not invasion of the language. It's the natutal evoluton of it. The same way than disposable pens are now called biros.

"Invading the language". The same way that "Hoovering" has? It's not invasion of the language. It's the natutal evoluton of it. The same way than disposable pens are now called biros.

YMMV.

good grief...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/11/nokia_microsoft_more_details/

"Elop added that he felt that with Microsoft Nokia could make competitive low to midrange smartphones ($100) better than it might have with Google, too."

I wonder how accurate is that line? If it is accurate Elop needs to start heavily subsidising what we consider to be a low to midrange smart phone...

I know wiki is a bad source, but from the first few lines...

Minimum Windows Phone 7 device requirements

Capacitive, 4-point multi-touch screen with WVGA (800x480) resolution

1 GHz ARM v7 "Cortex/Scorpion" or better processor

DirectX9 rendering-capable GPU

256 MB of RAM with at least 8 GB of Flash memory

I want a new version of the Nokia Communicator. Love the hardware format of the dual screens and dual keyboard, but was never really impressed with Symbian S60 (?). Currently using an HTC Touch Pro 2 with WM6.5 which I can't stand (although it was free which is why I switched from my E90).

However I'm tempted to go back to my Communicator - It just looks really old (and it's brown!!).

I guess my ideal/dream phone would be in communicator format, resistive touch on the inside, but no touch on the outside but running Maemo. I don't really know anything about the nuts and bolts of Linux I just like the idea of the openness...

....next project for the OP team? ;)

brings consumers services people want like bing,,

does anyone use bing? It SUCKS
I had a promotional e-mail in an old Hotmail box this morning, from Microsoft, promoting Bing, and for some reason it was in the "Junk" folder. It had been eaten by Microsoft's own spam-filter.

Steve Balmer looks like a spam filter

I read one comment that was pretty spot on though:

With WP7 nokia will have more say in the UI of the thing, because they are a major partner in the game.

If they would support Android they can't do anything else but make a custom skin and have google do the rest.

But, I think they should've put more effort in Meego. I was so looking forward to upgrading my N900 one day (still want to try the dual-boot), but now it seems they are just cutting everything off.

With the Symbian developer-platform closing down .. just when they got about 22 milion euros to continue their Symbian platform!!

Freaking management ...

I wish this wasn't happening to Nokia, I was really excited about the direction of the company, they were innovating in openness. Stephen Elop seems to have just ditched everything, and gone with his old employers (hiring a few of his buddies while he's at it).

At least I can buy my new phone now and forget about Nokia and all the loyalty I had.

I am really not sure this is the way to go for Nokia... well they have to do something that's for sure !

Nokia does have good hardware but they blew it on the software side by staying way too focused on symbian. It's a shame really because the Nokia 800 and Maemo were good idea: A little internet tablet that was more advanced the the competition in some aspects. Sure it was aimed at geek and wasn't a phone but they could have built something from there. It was a great platform and QT was also a great addition.

I really don't see any clear long term strategy for Nokia now. They should be a lot more focused. It's not the first deal they announce with Microsoft but now people will really question why they tried go the QT/Meego at all... I don't think they can manage to have a serious go at both Meego and Windows Phone 7 at the same time.

In comparison palm struggled for year and then got bought by HP, however they actually did come out with what seem to be a pretty decent product: WebOS. I am not sure Nokia will be able to produce anything special with a Microsoft powered phone.

Ah, so I guess that's why they didn't talk about the N9 at all after the N8 was released.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nokia said:
Under the new strategy, MeeGo becomes an open-source, mobile operating system project. MeeGo will place increased emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices, platforms and user experiences. Nokia still plans to ship a MeeGo-related product later this year.
Source: http://www.nokia.com/press/press-releases/showpressrelease?newsid=1488004

Whatever "MeeGo-related" is supposed to mean.

My guess is that Nokia is waiting for Android devices to become more indistinguishable from each other. Anyway, it seems like not all hope is lost. Nokia's intention with the N900 was to create a device that developers would like. They were surprised by how well it sold ("Sales have substantially exceeded expectations."), which really makes me doubt that there won't be any "true" successor. Thus, they may be using Windows Phone 7 as a "booster", and to finally replace Symbian.

But these are more or less just wild guesses. So this post may contain traces of nuts, make you go nuts or be nuts so important after all.

Back