Nokia N900

I'm strongly considering purchasing a Nokia N900.

Does anyone have any particular thoughts on the device? I live in the US and have AT&T, so I would not have 3G service, which sucks. Are there any US owners of the n900 who have AT&T?

I have an N900 and the phone itself is cracking, although I feel meamo itself is feeling a little bit dated. I do think if NitDroid gets calls working I may switch to using that. At least you can dual or triple boot on it.

Can't comment on mobile service provides since I am based in the UK.

As long as you understand that the N900 is abandoned by Nokia and being updated by the community, it's not a bad device. It's a little like having an Android phone, except all the software is free.

If you don't already know about it, go here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking into where I should buy the n900. Does anyone have any suggestions? Amazon is pricey, ebay sketches me out sometimes, I prefer new, but realistically know used is more than likely.

could keep an eye on cowboom.com they sell refurbished ones from time to time, its what they specialize in, selling refurbished anythings

same with expansys-usa.com

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was waiting for my Pandora, to stave off symptoms of gadget withdrawal, I picked up my n900. It is amazing. I use it for everything (including this post). I switched to T-Mobile because of it. If you do end up buying one, I would also recommend getting a GameGripper.

I wish I could get an n950...

my mate has one, i kind of rated it when it was first out as i hadnt played with many androids at that point, plus the included Ovi maps sat nav was a nice bit of bundled ware.

soon went off it though, too chunky, not as responsive as most androids i found.

what appealed to me at first was the slide out k/board as i thought might be good for use with emulation - as it has a d-pad of sorts

...but the d-pad is on the lower "right" hand side, which i never understood why, but i couldnt get on with that, my left thumb is for d-pads, the right does the firing/jumping/running/smashing/etc..

While I was waiting for my Pandora, to stave off symptoms of gadget withdrawal, I picked up my n900. It is amazing. I use it for everything (including this post). I switched to T-Mobile because of it. If you do end up buying one, I would also recommend getting a GameGripper.

I wish I could get an n950...
What's your opinion of T-Mobile? I live in western Mass, not too far from RI, and I'm considering the move to T-Mobile...

Just as an update, I purchased an n900 on ebay last night for $180. I think I'll first try it out on my att plan and then move over to t-mobile if I enjoy the phone.

Back