Nub Issue.

craigix said:
paulguy said:
Are there or will there be instructions on opening it properly? I figure the glue would make it difficult to open without breaking it.

It's easy to open the bottom half as long as you are very very careful. The top part, where the LCD is, is glued and is NOT user serviceable.
this is not nice. definitely not nice.

you know, i thought this was a bit of a community driven and quite hackable device and then you glue the PCB to the case? you should have at least told us. really.

Last edited by a moderator:
hch said:
craigix said:
paulguy said:
Are there or will there be instructions on opening it properly? I figure the glue would make it difficult to open without breaking it.

It's easy to open the bottom half as long as you are very very careful. The top part, where the LCD is, is glued and is NOT user serviceable.

you know, i thought this was a bit of a community driven and quite hackable device and then you glue the PCB to the case? you should have at least told us. really.

Erm, the PCB isn't in the lid.

craigix said:
hch said:
craigix said:
paulguy said:

oops, sorry. i thought you were referring to the top part of the case, not the lid.

I thought there was meant to be mod space in the lid, behind the display, perhaps for a blue neon LED? But anyway - gluing the case together really makes this feel much less community/open/mod-friendly. It makes the unit feel a LOT more "closed" (glued shut!) than I originally thought this project was going to be. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it seems different to the original promised flavour.

My guess is that they've had to glue the lid shut just to keep it together due to a crappy case/design, rather than to keep people out.

craigix said:
hch said:
craigix said:
paulguy said:

What if I wanted to add something to the lid? While I am not personally planning to do any mods, I remember people discussing such things as adding a lights and other things. In fact, if the lid is glued shut, I guess it's not possible to replace a scratched display, or replace a scratched case with a new one without getting a new display? :(

Is there a reason why it was glued?

If you're suggesting that he try and fix the d-pad issue himself first, that's fair. But if he can't fix it himself, he should be able to send it back. The controls are extremely important.

craigix said:

I was under the impression that that's exactly where the daughter PCB was...

Seconded Alec's post above. IIRC, there are a couple of LED pads for a potential light underneath the OP logo on the back of the case.

Monk said:
I thought there was meant to be mod space in the lid, behind the display, perhaps for a blue neon LED? But anyway - gluing the case together really makes this feel much less community/open/mod-friendly. It makes the unit feel a LOT more "closed" (glued shut!) than I originally thought this project was going to be. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it seems different to the original promised flavour.

+1

Glued stuff is not nice. Aldo I'm not a big fan of Make magazine itself they have a serious good point with their Owner's manifesto
"If you can't open it, you don't own it"

Any device that positions itself as "Open" (yeah I know, it's about using "open software" ...bladibla.. ) but resort to GLUE....
This is seriously not "community" friendly.

Of course it's not all to late to change this, but this is not something I ever expected from this project.

I'm one of the people who payed (gladly) up in 2008 to make this project happen and, to quote a famous English Lady, "I'm not amused".

Utterly disappointing....

Wow, an LCD thats glued in place... THE SKY IS FALLING!

Really guys, are you really complaining that the Half of the Pandora that you really shouldn't be messing with anyway is held more securely than the part with all the hardware/space?

Since when was the Pandora an open hardware machine anyway? Because I certainly don't remember being told it was. I remember being told it would be the perfect device for open software.

This place really is filled with some of the the whiniest people around. It really feels like it drags the rest of us down.

It was never targeted as "open" hardware, it is however targeted at a "community", including people who want to play with the hardware.

No warranty if you open the case? Fine. Pretty normal. No argues at all.
No full schematics? Fine, they never promised that or said they would do that.

Using glue instead of screws to hold a case? Bad. very bad.
It's really saying like "don't even think opening this" (aka The Apple Way).
It's certainly not "whining", sorry.
To be able to open an "Open" device that is supposed to be made for a "communitiy" (and hardware modders/hackers have been always here around asking questions) without sorting to cutting trough glue is almost mandatory.

Like i said in my post on the previous page, it's to late to change anything, and thank god it's only the LCD/upper part but I'm quite disappointed this is done this way.

got_wot said:
Wow, an LCD thats glued in place... THE SKY IS FALLING!
[...]
This place really is filled with some of the the whiniest people around. It really feels like it drags the rest of us down.

Seconded.

Polossatik said:
Using glue instead of screws to hold a case? Bad. very bad.
I'm pretty sure, going on the prototype cases that lacked them, that those little rubber things in the corners of the lid are covering the screws that hold it together. ;)

If it's possible to disassemble without damaging something, it's not that bad, imo. I'm one of those modding freaks who need full access to the hardware and I don't care about warranty. If I may ask, why is the lid glued?

It's just double sided Adhesive to make the bezel sit flush with the bottom of the screen. Many laptop manufacturers do this, including HP. unless there is more glue I didn't see

mvickers03 said:
It's just double sided Adhesive to make the bezel sit flush with the bottom of the screen. Many laptop manufacturers do this, including HP. unless there is more glue I didn't see
No, that's it. There's no extra glue. The speakers have an adhesive ring around the edge to keep them in the lid front when putting it together too.

The real problem is that the lid front was designed with a bazillion clips that hold it into the back and we can't pull it apart without snapping it to pieces or shattering the glass of the LCD. We should consider getting rid of those clips in the mold at a later date. That would make it more serviceable for everyone.

mali said:
^ Thanks, for the info :) Can you see it through a gap in the case?

No I stuck them on myself yesterday when helping the team ;)

MWeston said:
mvickers03 said:
No, that's it. There's no extra glue. The speakers have an adhesive ring around the edge to keep them in the lid front when putting it together too.

The real problem is that the lid front was designed with a bazillion clips that hold it into the back and we can't pull it apart without snapping it to pieces or shattering the glass of the LCD. We should consider getting rid of those clips in the mold at a later date. That would make it more serviceable for everyone.

Thanks for the explanation, MWeston

Back