Nubs and a Schedule (2010-11-04)

Hi Ed,

many thx for this great update.

how are the lcd cabels running? because i thought u had a prob with them aswell...

Just as terrorists are sending mail bombs all over the world a bunch of Pandora's are going into the mail just before xmas, I'm sure this wont be any trouble at all...

Thanks for the update Ed -

But what is the chance of us getting a "definitive" yes or no statement

lol... How can anyone be definitive when although it is possible, it is also depending on no issues with about 6 different processes happening in 3 different countries. This is just piling un-useful stress on ED. You can expect more information in a week (no change?) then the week after (boards not shipped) and in 3 weeks we can all have more confidence about progress really being made.

ED said clearly that there will be 3 shipments of 1000 boards between November and December, completing the first 4000 units of batch one. You won't be seeing batch 2 until after Christmas.
It is however true that orders will be satisfied in order, rather than strictly based on which batch you ordered from. However, since it seems that 4000 won't leave final assembly until after christmas the distinction is maybe moot. People who ordered in July 2010 will probably know over the holiday if they should be expecting a parcel in the first week of January. People ordering now - who knows.

Thanks ED, this is great news.

There is no other gift I want/need for xmas.

I am at the back end of Batch 1, of which boards 3000 - 4000 are meant for shipment Dec 5th, this and allowing for some assembly time and xmas/new year delays would mean an early Jan delivery to me. So about 2 months then, a familiar expectation.

I'm not trying to take the proverbiable but it does make me chuckle sometimes. I know OPT are doing everything they can and hope their efforts continue in such vigor.

It is just a bit spooky as the 2 month period is a standard prediction period, we in the Construction industry would say 6-8 weeks for ETA for delivery of schemes and it has worked for years.

Fingers (arms, toes and legs) crossed.

I was hoping to take mine to R3play this weekend, ho hum!

It takes a little more than a week to solder 2000 nubs on 1000 boards (and test them), the first shipment of 1000 boards therefore is scheduled for November 24th.
There is no socketed nubs? Only soldered? :huh:

Hi Ed,

many thx for this great update.

how are the lcd cabels running? because i thought u had a prob with them aswell...

Not really. Here is what we know about the LCD cables:

* A lot from the first produced units failed, since we didn't know they need to be placed 99% accurate.

* Only 3 - 4 from the later produced units failed, there seem to be some with a lower quality. Some fail directly after installing. Don't seem to be a lot, though. Thank god.

* My unit (December last year) is still working fine with the LCD cable. And I open and close it about 10 - 15 times a day.

Therefore, the current LCD cables seem fine, there are just some that are a bit dodgy from the very beginning and they might fail.

However, as that doesn't mean they will survive forever and ever, so we are trying to be extra careful.

That's why I analyzed exactly where they fail and when, made some document and a lot of pictures showing where they are being bent and we got a new Flex Cable company suggested by MSI (Fatih has friends there) that knows a lot about flex cables and clamshell designs.

We will get samples of their produced cables in approx. 14 - 20 days.

As only the cable is being produced anew, it's fully compatible with all delivered units so far. So in case any LCD cables fail in the future (doesn't seem to be a lot based on our current experiences though), they will be replaced with the higher quality ones.

hello,

We didn't sell 4000 units (as that would be totally crazy, you always have to keep some for RMAs)

is that true? if so, why did i receive an email saying...

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 10:44 +0100, Pandora Orders wrote:

> Hi Stefanos,

>

> Yes your order has been received. You are approximately 3900 - 4000.

>

> Thanks

>

> Debs

after asking...

> On 7 May 2010 08:25, Stefanos Kourtis <eskei.one@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hello Debs,

> >

> > I have completed the payment. Please verify this from your end. If it is

> > possible, I would also like to know at which place in the pre-order

> > queue my order is.

> >

> > Thanks,

> > Stefanos

?

ED said clearly that there will be 3 shipments of 1000 boards between November and December, completing the first 4000 units of batch one. You won't be seeing batch 2 until after Christmas.
Oh really? :(

I’d so need it for my holiday-week over Christmas …

is that true? if so, why did i receive an email saying...

> Yes your order has been received. You are approximately 3900 - 4000.

I'm not your distributor, so I cannot tell you for sure.

But we expected about 10 units per 100 to put aside.

We need RMA units from the very beginning, so it might be that Queue numbers 0 - 100 are are only 90 shipped and 10 for RMAs.

* A lot from the first produced units failed, since we didn't know they need to be placed 99% accurate.

* Only 3 - 4 from the later produced units failed, there seem to be some with a lower quality. Some fail directly after installing. Don't seem to be a lot, though. Thank god.

* My unit (December last year) is still working fine with the LCD cable. And I open and close it about 10 - 15 times a day.

Therefore, the current LCD cables seem fine, there are just some that are a bit dodgy from the very beginning and they might fail.

However, as that doesn't mean they will survive forever and ever, so we are trying to be extra careful.

That's why I analyzed exactly where they fail and when, made some document and a lot of pictures showing where they are being bent and we got a new Flex Cable company suggested by MSI (Fatih has friends there) that knows a lot about flex cables and clamshell designs.

As only the cable is being produced anew, it's fully compatible with all delivered units so far. So in case any LCD cables fail in the future (doesn't seem to be a lot based on our current experiences though), they will be replaced with the higher quality ones.
Added to the wish list (right after the socketed nubs): LCD cables with ZIF connectors...

I'm not your distributor, so I cannot tell you for sure.

But we expected about 10 units per 100 to put aside.

We need RMA units from the very beginning, so it might be that Queue numbers 0 - 100 are are only 90 shipped and 10 for RMAs.
I hope that's true. A Pandora would be the perfect X-mas present. Being bumped to second batch would suck donkey poo...

Out of curiosity, I have no idea where I will be over the holidays/this January, do you all mind if I can change my mailing address on short notice?

If its so clear, then why have 2 people asked if Batch 2 and Batch 1 are combined?

People have cancelled buying units from Batch 1. If you look at the Thread New Users, Say Hello on the General Section of this board pinned at the top you'll see people have been getting into Batch 1 as late as October of 2010. So that means that Batch 2 hasn't been selling like wildfire due to production SNAFUs.

So can someone from the team please clarify this for us?

My reading is that since all 4000 didn't sell from batch 1, there were 100-200 units set aside for parts/RMA. Now that production is back online, those units weren't needed because most of what is broken currently on existing units is LCDs and Nubs, both which need new parts, not an entirely new unit. So people who were ordering in batch 2 are now getting the orders filled with these 100-200 units remaining from Batch 1. Those who bought most recently will have to wait until Batch 1 is complete.

Also, what is the status with Cases for the Batch 2? No one wants to answer this question either.

Please can we get a little clarity.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Last edited by a moderator:

So are these cables being put on the ones that you are going to be shipping in Dec. 2010 :D or is it just something you will be comparing to what you have?

Back