Nulldce On The Beagleboard

Virtua Tennis is the ONLY tennis game I like.

'Yod4z' said:
'Phawx' said:
Just so I am clear. This only boots the bios at the moment?
yes i think, the dev have no time to work more than the ARMv7 ASM SH4 core

Well the bios booting made me happy enough. Now I am just waiting for Mike to get that case. I can't wait until we actually KNOW everything has begun MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm pretty sure that only increasing voltage damages the CPU. However high the mhz can get on defualt should = no damage. Didn't Pickle say he ran Quake 2 at 750mhz, regular voltage?

'drkIIRaziel' said:
Also keep in mind that overclocking the pandora IS gona damage the cpu.Even 600 mhz are known to reduce singifically the cpu's life.
I really thought that the omap3 was spec'd to go up to 900MHz, and that we were using 600 mostly because of battery life. From what I remember, overclocking on this is going over the 900MHz, like I think I heard it was relatively stable up to 925MHz or so, and that doing this would likely damage the cpu, but that running under 900MHz should be fine. It was also mentioned that it would take quite a long time to degrade the cpu by running at 900MHz.

Reference:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42953&st=0&p=625327&#entry625327

So, I wonder how nulldce would run at 110MHz gpu and 900MHz cpu.

wrong, the omap3 in pandora is guaranteed to work up to 600Mhz. Everything above is bonus and plain luck.

'drkIIRaziel' said:
Also keep in mind that overclocking the pandora IS gona damage the cpu.Even 600 mhz are known to reduce singifically the cpu's life.Do you really want it to die faster after all the waits?
ARM processors are very resilient. They don't damage that easily, if at all from overclocking, unlike x86. I overclock my GP2X all the time for emulation, and its ARM processor hasn't shown any sign of damage.

-God Ginrai

Actually, arm isn't that much different from x86 anymore (its getting superscallar, and then out of order .. with big caches).And x86 can get a 30+% overclock without vcorre adjusting.Cortex needs its voltage up to 1.35v for 600 mhz ( from 1.2v needed for 500 mhz).Also the limited cooling of arm parts generally (and especially in pandora) can lead to damage from OC much easyer than it can on x86 (yeah, those brick-like coolers actually have a purpose :p).And oc isn't gona save you anyway, 10% more speed (performance doesn't scale linearly with clock) won't make a *non playable at all* game magically playable.Its gona make a 4 fps difference on a 40 fps game .. hardly worth it.

Also, unless SGX becomes the bottleneck frameskipping is not gonna help much.

Oh, and the arm processor in GP2X can't be compared to pandora.Totaly different designs.If anything, cortex a8 is more similar to a pentium-1 than older arm cores ;)

'drkIIRaziel' said:
Actually, arm isn't that much different from x86 anymore (its getting superscallar, and then out of order .. with big caches).And x86 can get a 30+% overclock without vcorre adjusting.Cortex needs its voltage up to 1.35v for 600 mhz ( from 1.2v needed for 500 mhz).Also the limited cooling of arm parts generally (and especially in pandora) can lead to damage from OC much easyer than it can on x86 (yeah, those brick-like coolers actually have a purpose :p).And oc isn't gona save you anyway, 10% more speed (performance doesn't scale linearly with clock) won't make a *non playable at all* game magically playable.Its gona make a 4 fps difference on a 40 fps game .. hardly worth it.

Also, unless SGX becomes the bottleneck frameskipping is not gonna help much.

Oh, and the arm processor in GP2X can't be compared to pandora.Totaly different designs.If anything, cortex a8 is more similar to a pentium-1 than older arm cores ;)
I think that overclocking from 600 MHz to 900 MHz should make a little bit bigger of a difference than 4 fps. Also, I have to humbly disagree with you on your views that it will damage the ARM, based on my experiences with OCing my GP2x, and a plethora of posts by devs that I know and trust a lot more than you (not that you're not trustworthy, I don't know you) that say that OCing won't hurt the processor.

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
posts by devs that I know and trust a lot more than you (not that you're not trustworthy, I don't know you) that say that OCing won't hurt the processor.
Actually, what Squidge said is that it won't damage the processor per se, but it WILL reduce its lifespan by up to 50%. edit: if the voltage is increased, that is - which is needed for large overclocks.

'drkIIRaziel' said:
(performance doesn't scale linearly with clock)
Why wouldn't it? Assuming you're not changing the dividers for memory and peripherals and the separately clocked SGX isn't a bottleneck then it should be linear.

'Exophase' said:
Why wouldn't it? Assuming you're not changing the dividers for memory and peripherals and the separately clocked SGX isn't a bottleneck then it should be linear.
Memory will also get overclocked? I assumed it will stay at the same speed .. but then maby not.Are the caches also timed form the same clock?

Still, i don't see someone running the arm @ 900 mhz for large periods of time, on a closed case with no cooling and not causing permanent damage.ARM is efficient, but thats it.Its not magic.

Beagle gets at 50 degC w/o a hsf at 500 mhz, doesn't it ? (i think i recall the value from some youtube presentation) Thats cool, but close to bad temperatures for overclocking if no hsf is used.

Anyway, this is getting offtopic .. *off to work on the dynarec*

Looks interesting, this could mean I can convince many others to buy a Pandora from the second batch. Thanks for the great work, I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

may I understand all that, as if you have now started to concentrate on beagleboard/pandora rather then psp? would be awesome ;)

'GunPei2X' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
posts by devs that I know and trust a lot more than you (not that you're not trustworthy, I don't know you) that say that OCing won't hurt the processor.
Actually, what Squidge said is that it won't damage the processor per se, but it WILL reduce its lifespan by up to 50%. edit: if the voltage is increased, that is - which is needed for large overclocks.

if you reduce the lifetime, you're damaging it. Also, Squidge said 900 MHz would be fine.

-God Ginrai

I can't find the thread now, it was way back before the pre-order was done, but someone actually crunched the numbers. The end result was that, running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (366 during a leap year), you would get 20 years of use out of it at 600 MHz, but only 5 years of use out of it at 900 Mhz. That's 5 years of nonstop gaming at 900Mhz. So yes, it does damage the CPU and reduce it's life, but not by anything that even closely resembles a noticeable degree. If you leave it running at 900Mhz for 5 years solid, you have bigger problems then a fried CPU.
Also looking for the thread, but it was recently revealed that the 900Mhz "spec" isn't actually in spec. TI only guarantees up to 600 Mhz: you can read it in the official OMAP3 docs. Bumping it to 900 is easily done, and thus far has been quite successful (which lead to the rumour that 900 was within spec) but it shouldn't be relied upon.
I'll try to find these two threads and post again.

'WizardStan' said:
Also looking for the thread, but it was recently revealed that the 900Mhz "spec" isn't actually in spec. TI only guarantees up to 600 Mhz: you can read it in the official OMAP3 docs. Bumping it to 900 is easily done, and thus far has been quite successful (which lead to the rumour that 900 was within spec) but it shouldn't be relied upon.
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46454&st=0&p=695807&#entry695807

'drkIIRaziel' said:
Memory will also get overclocked? I assumed it will stay at the same speed .. but then maby not.Are the caches also timed form the same clock?
That's almost always the case with these clocks. Yes, of course the caches are running at the CPU clock, since they're internal to the CPU.

'drkIIRaziel' said:
Still, i don't see someone running the arm @ 900 mhz for large periods of time, on a closed case with no cooling and not causing permanent damage.ARM is efficient, but thats it.Its not magic.
That's a pretty arbirarty thing to say, other OMAP chips are rated at speeds of 800MHz or more and ARM says the chip design is capable of > 1GHz. It's not magic at all.

'drkIIRaziel' said:
Beagle gets at 50 degC w/o a hsf at 500 mhz, doesn't it ? (i think i recall the value from some youtube presentation) Thats cool, but close to bad temperatures for overclocking if no hsf is used.
Rarely is a CPU permanently damaged by overclocking (beyond decreasing the lifespan, but usually the lifespan is much longer than what people use it for). Usually it fails to operate (and requires rebooting) long before it overheats to the point where something bad happens. And chips can often operate at temperatures well in excess of 50C, some even beyond 90C.

Spec only guarantees 600 Mhz threads:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46741&st=0
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46454&st=30&p=695807&#entry695807

Higher clock speeds reduce life threads:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43293
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42953&st=0&p=625364

Back