nVIDIA SHIELD™ ANDROID TV console - OUT NOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so what this is for is to play streamed games from your PC (or cloud) pretty much. Something you could already do with the shield tablet or the shield portable. (which might I add is a quite good experience)

It can also play games ported to android. Also something you can do already.

Forget revolutionary, what's the new exactly? Removing the versatility of having a multi-funtion device?

But at least it runs alot of fancy stuff onto a more or less "mobile" ARM CPU/GPU. I wonder if this stuff would also run like this onto the Pyra.

And now we know that Crysis CAN run onto small ARM devices, no more excuses! :D

Shield, Shield Tablet, Shield Portable, Shield Console, Shield Android TV...............Am I missing something, all the names SUCK ;)

At least the're good gaming machines, but the name has sucked since the beginning, it sucks today, and it will still suck tomorrow.

Chris

Well I thought the name "shield" was unique and descriptive. Cool name IMO, gave the name depth, however a bit gimmicky.

The "shield tablet" was a stretch, but I was like "ok, sure, I see what you did there"

"Shield console" was way worse, and "shield android TV" just straight up sucks. I still don't see the point in making a device with less functionality if it wasn't soley for a lower price point. With nothing unique, and extremely little convergence with the whole concept of the shield.... such as... where's the shield covers? Ya know... the reason why it's called a shield in the first place??? TV out was a mere after thought in the initial design, the concept was mobile desktop pc gaming from your couch.

As far as lesser functionality, no offense to the pandora, but it's similar to the screen-less "tv edition" pandoras... I mean, really? You're paying $200+ for a glorified raspberry pi with a built in keyboard.

what they need to do is make a REAL docking station for a new "shield portable" (name downgrade btw). One that actually works well and has port replicators etc.

This is not the droid I'm looking for.

I think the name change is fine, because Android TV is Google's official name for a class of device and software development target. That is to say, this device is an Android TV device and the name lets you know that apps designed to work on Android TV devices will (or should) work on this. Contrast with "Console" which, if it's anything like all other consoles, only runs software specifically developed for it or its predecessor. Especially since OUYA actually was intended to only run OUYA software it's best that they avoid this preconception.

I think I might get a Pro...

http://blog.gsmarena.com/nvidia-shield-tv-console-now-available-200-300-500gb-pro-version/

gsmarena_002.jpg

Image and link courtesy of http://GSMARENA.com

Approximately 1 pixel away from hitting the buy button on a "pro" version (because most games that are run on Shield can use 1+GB as it is) on Sunday, but hesitated.

Stuck deciding if it's justifiable buying now or in a couple months when it's less nice outside (we only get 2 months of summer here).
Well, its winter here in Melbourne, Australia and I want one :(

Back