Official Blog- A Big Thanks To All Of You!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope somehow someone can make a video of EDs CeBIT presentation and post it on the forums, I am sure many would be interested in seeing it.

ThaDSman said:
Any word on the whole Dallas,TX assembly thing? Would I be able to go to the factory in Dallas and pick up my Pandora? Cuz I live stupid close to Dallas,TX.
A few things have been said, such as allowing people to come help build them, that maybe they might ship from the factory to US customers, etc.

But nothing definite on that, and some conflicting posts.

It is reasonable to expect it will come from the UK (hope for the best, expect the worst... sort of thing).

Dannyxzero said:
hey bro its all good, it was just a silly idea, i was thinking they could save money, but your right tax is bad from that point lol ^____^ thanks for clearing it up ^)^
The thing I am curious about, is if OP didn't know that concern... and I fucked things up by telling them. No more 'plausible denyability'

EvilDragon said:
Sphinxter said:
It aint over yet.

Well, the hard things have been done. PCB assembly and mass production works fine, we have enough working tests that prove that.
The prototype cases are working perfectly and all there is left is create them in a proper way. Same machine, same mould, nothing should go wrong here.
The OS needs a lot of tweaking, yes, but all drivers are working, so it's just a matter of time everything will become nice and tidy.

And now you've jinxed it!

It might not be the same in every state, but at least in most of the US, you don't have to pay tax for online purchases made from a different state. I know I've never paid any tax when buying anything online.

It's probably not relevant anyway, since no sale is taking place in the US in this case, whether or not the Pandoras are shipped from Texas.

I am a bit curious as to how import taxes are supposed to work - I've never bought anything more expensive than books or CDs from outside the US. How are you supposed to pay it? Do they just send you a bill and expect you to mail them a check?

I keep wondering if the fact they they were sold over seas and built in the US wouldnt be enough of a loophole to avoid the taxes. After all they werent SOLD in the US just built here. Kinda sucks that my Pandora may end up with more frequent flyer miles than me.

ThaDSman said:
Any word on the whole Dallas,TX assembly thing? Would I be able to go to the factory in Dallas and pick up my Pandora? Cuz I live stupid close to Dallas,TX.

I think it was ED that said that we would not be able to go to the Dallas assembly line to help with assembly because of reasons like assuring quality etc. however i am interested in the idea of going to the Dallas assembly place to pick up my pandora instead of waiting for it to ship cuz, just like you, i live stupid close to dallas.

Everyone on ED's list really deserves a huge "thank you" and respect for pulling through the delays, changes, payment debacles, FUD and everything. I'm very happy to see the project has come all the way from concept to finished product, even though at times things were looking shaky. But the upside is that most of us first-batchers stayed with the program and didn't want to cancel our orders, because we believed in it. Even with all the delays, I could not be more happy about the project right now except for if I was actually booting my very own Pandora.... :)

Sphinxter said:
And now you've jinxed it!
We have to sacrifice a virgin to calm the two month god.
*prepares altar*

A big thanks to all of you!
You all do know me from the boards, I guess. However, if you want to meet me in real life: I'll be at the CeBIT in Hannover, Germany on March 6th. From 12pm - 1pm I'll be doing a presentation about OpenSource gaming handhelds. Of course, I'll have the Pandora with me. So if you happen to be there, why not join us there? I'll be posting more information about this soon.

ED, I invited you once via PM and i will do it again now :)

As you might see on the left side, I live in Hannover and I would be more then glad to meet you for a beer.
BTW, there are some others in the forum living in Hannover as well, mabye we could meet all for a beer? :)

Mjlink said:
I don't see sales tax an issue for US customers & shipping from Dallas direct.

Sure Devs have info shortly on the way?

Import tariffs/duty/tax. The goods were technically purchased 'in the EU'. Unless they fall within the value threshold for personal imports.
They could be hit with having to cover those costs themselves (or worse) if it doesn't slip under the radar when all the paperwork is done.

Exemptions might exist for goods classed as 'samples' or something.

borgqueenx said:
this blog post makes me think the ride is almost over - i think it is not.

And you are absolutely right! The ride has only begun :D

BackAssward said:
It is mostly a possibility... I don't know if I'd put it above or below 50%. There is the thing about taxes, if they ship from the US to the US, you have US sales Tax. US tax wasn't part of the original business plan... if they ship from the UK, the tax is on you at receiving, but if they ship from the US to the US, it is on them (OP) to take (bill) the tax and then later file it.

Sorry to be a downer, just being realistic.

Tax laws are not so draconian here in the US. No one is going to look at a bunch of packages shipped domestically and ask if tax was paid on them. Shipping from Dallas to elsewhere in the US guarantees the taxman will not be involved in the US shipments. Mail order companies only charge taxes if their base of operations is in the same state from which a person orders. Even if they "drop ship" the product from another state. I paid my money to a company in Britain (paying a hefty wire fee, too!).

Exceptions are large companies like Amazon on whom state governments lean to get their piece of the pie. The other weird exception is that some states want to be paid sales tax for mail-order stuff on your yearly personal income tax declaration. New York does this.

Shipping from Dallas could be a pain re: accessories. But I can't see how it would do anything but save money for OP.

Well, I do believe there could be another problem then. If an item is sold for an advertised price, all fee's are supposed to be represented. I was told in my emails as I'm sure everyone else was that I had paid completely for the product, and there should be no other fees. I asked about an import fee and they didn't know. If there is to be one they should have legally advised me of said fee and given a possible fee amount. Shipping from Texas would keep that from being an issue and place the tax burden plainly on me just as if I bought an item from Amazon.com.
The only difference is I would likely not owe any sales tax per se, as I didn't purchase anything from any state in the union. A technicality yes, but literally the truth. Besides, I don't know anyone who has ever run out and told the Gov that they spent $350 on Amazon. They only know if you tell them. Given how much they take already...no one tells them. (They know it and they could fix it by charging you tax based on the address of the purchaser, but they don't cause they know if you are not IN the state the item comes from and you didn't technically purchase it in your state, they have no legal grounds other than "I said so" to base it on, otherwise they would have something in place to force it)
Just my taxed 2 cents.

See I'm not nuts...lol Like HE said ∆

Creature XL said:
A big thanks to all of you!
You all do know me from the boards, I guess. However, if you want to meet me in real life: I'll be at the CeBIT in Hannover, Germany on March 6th. From 12pm - 1pm I'll be doing a presentation about OpenSource gaming handhelds. Of course, I'll have the Pandora with me. So if you happen to be there, why not join us there? I'll be posting more information about this soon.

ED, I invited you once via PM and i will do it again now :)

As you might see on the left side, I live in Hannover and I would be more then glad to meet you for a beer.
BTW, there are some others in the forum living in Hannover as well, mabye we could meet all for a beer? :)

Well, I'm only there on Saturday. Will be arriving at 10:20am and leave after the show.
Don't know if there's much time for some beer, unless we'd drink that at the show.

Do you have good beer in Hannover? I mean, I'm used to bavarian standards :D

Last edited:
Back