official tv-out cables any info

kirkanoss

i know you have a ton going on and are doing a lot of great work, was wondering if you have any info on the tv-out cables. now with all the tiny-bobs gone and the new ext's i got the pins are a little shorter so even more of a pain to solder my hopes of getting cables out to the mass's is looking bleak. was going to try and get some more bobs made but before i do that wanted to see what was up with you guys finding a company to make official tv-out's thanks again for everything

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, in fact I do have some.

I'll probably do these with GC as well, based on the TinyBob.

It current delay is simply because I didn't have time to provide GC a sample yet - but they'll most probably create the cables for us :)

I have a cable from Peca I can send if you need it. It's a dual composite / S-video in one off the Tiny Bob. I use the one Askarus gave me more and wouldn't mind donating it for their replication.

EDIT: I also have a spare Tiny BoB unused.

well that is some great news and fast reply thanks. guess i won't go crazy getting stuff to pump out a lot of cables then

Woo Woo official cable news!!! Gotta get my USB hub so I can be ready for some tv-out awesomeness

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Make sure the cables are (optionally) long enough, so you can use the Pandora as a controller while it is connected to a TV or beamer. 3 or 4 meters would be needed for that, maybe 5.

I was thinking it either needs to have a very long cable or make it kind of like a short dongle that will allow people to plug in their own longer AV cables.

I have a cable from Peca I can send if you need it. It's a dual composite / S-video in one off the Tiny Bob. I use the one Askarus gave me more and wouldn't mind donating it for their replication.

EDIT: I also have a spare Tiny BoB unused.

That would be great. One spare Tiny BoB as well as the cable would help a lot :)

I just don't find the time to solder it myself... reminds you that I need to reply to all your mails and send you the spare parts (will do that within this week!).

3m * 100cm/m * 1inch/2.54cm * 1ft/12in (how I learned to do conversions math in chemistry)

3*100/2.54/12 = 9.84ft

.84*12=10 (decimal feet to inches)

so 3 meters is 9 foot 10 inches.

If we want to go back the other way, the 2 inches shy of 10 feet that it is, 2*2.54= 5.08cm short of 10 ft.

can we say close enough?

Yes, in fact I do have some.

I'll probably do these with GC as well, based on the TinyBob.

It current delay is simply because I didn't have time to provide GC a sample yet - but they'll most probably create the cables for us :)
I want one with ALL the things on it. S-Video, composiite, audio out and in, as well as the UART ports. Would that be possible? I don't want to have to have multiple cables for all that stuff.

I'd prefer that the official product be a multicable-dongle (if you understand... ext connector one end, many short (5cm?) cables that end to appropriate labeled connector) with one connector for the GPIO/UART things - it should be ended with an easy to acquire connector that is still not misleading. This would allow for easier external gadget development and one standard for gadget connection. Any ideas for the connector? It would need to have a minimum of 8 connections. I'll edit this post (or post a reply) when I have my suggestion ready :p

EDIT: My first two ideas that I'm thinking about were 8P8C but that would be confusing(Ethernet?) or DE-9 (Serial?) but that would also be really confusing so I'm thinking of something else.

EDIT2: So after discarding those two, I'm suggesting Mini-DIN 8 ala this as the official cable end: http://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/en/MD-80/CP-2080-ND/96920 and this on your gadget if pcb http://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/en/MD-80S/CP-2480-ND/145317

Now I'm expecting people to tell me why Mini-DIN 8 is an awful solution, but IMO you should also suggest a better alternative :p

@Ed : Do you have any idea what's going to happen to all the people who ordered tv-out cables through Craig?

The impression I got after reading that refund thread and Craig's responses... Is that everything now pretty much rests on your goodwill? I assume there will be nothing coming from Craig to pay for these cables. I don't want to see you be even more out of pocket, so I imagine the most productive thing to do for everyone concerned is for all of us to re-order our cables from you when they become available and to write off that 'donation' we made to Craig.

Do you have a record of Craig's customers that are owed cables, or is he keeping that info to himself as well?

Back