Oh! Look! More Swarmy, Shiny Spaceships

adamorjames said:
problem

http://omploader.org/vMThnYw

Which gpu do you use? Did you read the README.TXT?

CODE

GPU: openGL 2.0, no shaders required for this version
If you are not sure if your gfx-card supports openGL 2.0 look up for
it on wikipedia or the developer page.
Don't even try the game on "intel 945" or ATI RADEON < 9700.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I stress my 56K Modem with a 4,6MB download I wanted to ask, if my GeForce 3 can handle this game? I don't know if it support OGL 2.0.
Could this game run with simple, oldfashioned OpenGL 1?

Works well on a Radeon HD 2900 GT, but it slows down if there are more than a couple thousand ships on the screen at a time.

fusion_power said:
Before I stress my 56K Modem with a 4,6MB download I wanted to ask, if my GeForce 3 can handle this game? I don't know if it support OGL 2.0.
Drivers of the GeForce 3 have openGL 2.0 support, so the game should run on your machine.

fusion_power said:
Could this game run with simple, oldfashioned OpenGL 1?
Ahhh ... no. For the pandora port I'm going to implement the whole rendering/blending with GLSL and then, there is no going back :)

atomicthumbs said:
Works well on a Radeon HD 2900 GT, but it slows down if there are more than a couple thousand ships on the screen at a time.
The ships movement is quite unoptimized right now, I even use Vector3 for the position calculations :huh: .
So there is plenty opportunities to speedup the whole thing.

otaco said:
Sorry, I don't have a 64-bit Linux setup at the moment. Yes, I should probably support more than shitty Windows for the Alpha releases. Did you try Wine, maybe it runs 32Bit Windows Apps with 64Bit Linux?
It does run (64 bit Ubuntu), but are the ships supposed to move much slower than in the previous release?

Dutch_Cap said:
otaco said:
Sorry, I don't have a 64-bit Linux setup at the moment. Yes, I should probably support more than shitty Windows for the Alpha releases. Did you try Wine, maybe it runs 32Bit Windows Apps with 64Bit Linux?
It does run (64 bit Ubuntu), but are the ships supposed to move much slower than in the previous release?

Yes, they are (as I wrote in the first post). You can double, triple, ... the games speed by pressing "n". Also the game runs 10x faster if you hit the "s" key.

Instant crash on my 7800GS.

Verified I have OGL 2.0 support with this: http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

I'm running on out of date drivers, but I have no plans to update them, as the newer ones don't work well.

'Kramy' said:

I'm running on out of date drivers, but I have no plans to update them, as the newer ones don't work well.
They must be very old..., Try new driver from time to time. They are permanently under development. If you have a notebook this site will you provide with the latest driver.

'otaco' said:
'Kramy' said:

They must be very old..., Try new driver from time to time. They are permanently under development. If you have a notebook this site will you provide with the latest driver.

I'd rather not. The last time I updated to new drivers, I started getting crashes in games and when watching videos - plus, framerates went to shit. :lol:

I appear to be running 91.28 forcewares.

The previous alpha worked perfect.

I visited my buddy and first we played EVE Online, then we tried your game without a name...:D Works good with a GeForce 260 and a Core 2 Quad. :D I hope the Pandora will be fast enough for that huge ammount of onscreen action. It looks like the game draws EVERY ship that is calculated for the attacs. I'm sure the overdraw in dense swarms can be used to reduce the ammount of drawn ships, if this will be an issue for the Pandora.

Because my english is not the best, and there is no up to date thread about this game in the german board, I describe my experiences here in german.

[krautmode]
Schönes Game. :D Die KI is ja gar nicht mal so doof, mein Kumpel kam echt ins schwitzen und der hatte schon viel mehr Talent als ich bei der Wuselei. Vielleicht war es auch Zufall aber ich bin mir sicher, einige bewusst angelegte Taktiken bei der KI erkannt zu haben.
Leider beharken sich bei der 3+ player Konstellation die KI`s untereinander kaum, irgend wie schießen sich beide hauptsächlich auf den Spieler ein. Ein optionales Einstellen wer mit wem oder gegen wen verbündet ist, währe sicher ne gute Idee für das Game, dann weiß man auch wer mit wem kämpft. Also vielleicht 2 gegen einen oder 3 gegen einander oder 2 gegen 2, das gäb zusätzlich viel fun. :)
Bei den Planeten deuten die roten Zahlen auf den Angreifer. Eine Kennzeichnung, welcher der Feinde gerad den Planeten angreift könnte zusätzlich noch mehr für Klarheit sorgen, also ob der eigene Planet gerad von blau oder Gelb angegriffen wird zum Beispiel.
Gibts eine Liste, wie schnell die unterschiedlichen Planetengrößen jeweils die Schiffe produzieren? mein Kumpel wollte das mal wissen. Wir haben uns bei der einen Map z.B. die Zähne ausgebissen an Blau, jene Map mit dem Riesen Planeten oben in der mitte und den Kleinen unten drumherum.
Wirde es ein Punktesystem geben? Und ein Game Over? Irgend wie passiert nix wenn man gewonnen, bzw. verloren hat aber es ist ja auch noch ne Alpha. :)
Wie erwähnt, gute Computergegner. Die scheinen genau zu wissen, wo sie angreifen können. Ich hoffe bloß der cheatet nicht? ;) [/krautmode]

'Kramy' said:
'otaco' said:
'Kramy' said:

I'd rather not. The last time I updated to new drivers, I started getting crashes in games and when watching videos - plus, framerates went to shit. :lol:

I appear to be running 91.28 forcewares.

The previous alpha worked perfect.

nVidia is currently at 180.xx forceware. You should probably upgrade - a lot has changed since before they hit 100.xx. I'm currently running the 180.xx forceware, and it works great with desktop compositing and OGL games. If you have problems - sue me.

sadly, no luck with my own PC, game doesn't run onto a old GeForce 3. "unknown software exception (0x000001d) on position 0x0041656d..."
I really hope we get our Pandoras soon. :D

Game plays great on my machine, very smooth. :)
(Geforce 7200 GS)

Keep working on it, it's going to be awesome. on the :pandora1: :D

'Vorporeal' said:
nVidia is currently at 180.xx forceware. You should probably upgrade - a lot has changed since before they hit 100.xx. I'm currently running the 180.xx forceware, and it works great with desktop compositing and OGL games. If you have problems - sue me.
Why should I upgrade? No really - why? 91.28 works fine with most stuff. Works fine for new games, like Left4Dead, Fallout 3, Crysis(lol - so slow on a 7800GS), etc.

With the newest drivers, I get freezing issues, instant reboots, worse framerates, etc.

I'm betting you think I should upgrade because the version number is higher, right? That's poor logic.

My 13-year-old brother asked me to get some parts for a computer together for him, so we've ordered a whole new computer (including 4 gigs of RAM, a Radeon HD 4870 1GB, and a Core 2 Quad 3ghz), so I'll see how well it works with his monster computer. :)

And my mom said that she'd pay me to teach him how to build it while I put it together, so I'm getting 2 gigs more RAM and a Geforce 9800 GTX. Still no match for his. :p

I hope you're planning to use 64 bit... also 4870 is a waste imo

'PoisonedV' said:
I hope you're planning to use 64 bit... also 4870 is a waste imo
Yes, xp x64, and the 4870 was $14 more than the 9800 GTX+, so I got it because it was more powerful and had twice the RAM.

'fusion_power' said:
[krautmode]
Leider beharken sich bei der 3+ player Konstellation die KI`s untereinander kaum, irgend wie schießen sich beide hauptsächlich auf den Spieler ein.
That's because your planets are to weak. Try to keep more points on them.

'fusion_power' said:
[krautmode]
Eine Kennzeichnung, welcher der Feinde gerad den Planeten angreift könnte zusätzlich noch mehr für Klarheit sorgen[...]
No, not really. Its more confusing - to much numbers to read and add. Besides it doesn't matter which enemy attacks you.

'fusion_power' said:
[krautmode]
Wir haben uns bei der einen Map z.B. die Zähne ausgebissen an Blau, jene Map mit dem Riesen Planeten oben in der mitte und den Kleinen unten drumherum.
The solution is to attack the big blue planet when he just has send his ships out...

Back