Oh Sh*t! Is It Bricked?

aaron11193

Hey Telstra, I Hate You.
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey i just got my gp2x mk2 (fw:3.0.0) today and i was changing skins around and somehow the icons all dissappeared! only a background and writings!
i tried to do a firmware upgrade. it worked but now it wont get past the "Welcome..." screen. it has the startup sound.
now when i try to do a firmware upgrade it just stays on "FIRMWARE upgrading" for ever and there as multicoloured lines at the bottom of the firmware upgrading image.

HELP ME PLZ!!! I REALLY WANT THIS TO WORK SO I CAN TAKE IT BACK TO SCHOOL WITH ME!!!

any help would be VERY appreciated.

i just hope it's not bricked. and is fixable.

Nope, not bricked.

Just run firmware 2.0 installer(hold down select and start at bootup).
Then 2.1
Then 2.1.1

Make sure each time to run the app updater from utilities.
Make sure to do update until some message that it is done appears, or on next boot that bootup-firmware screen agrees.

I have seen this many many times.

mth411 said:
Nope, not bricked.

Just run firmware 2.0 installer(hold down select and start at bootup).
Then 2.1
Then 2.1.1

Make sure each time to run the app updater from utilities.
Make sure to do update until some message that it is done appears, or on next boot that bootup-firmware screen agrees.

I have seen this many many times.

so i need to upgrade to fw 2.0.0, i tried going straight to fw 3.0.0 but to no avail. is 2.0.0 the only one that will unbrick it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing FW 2.0.0 update now and it is taking FOREVER! i wish it had some sort of progress indicator.
the very bottom of the FIRMWARE upgrading image has randomy colourd pixels on the last 1 and a 1/3 lines does this mean anything bad?? :(

1841583451a4764241201l.jpg

Worst case scenario you'll have to buy a cradle ($50) and a straight-through parallel port cable for JTAG, and use that to reflash the bootloader. I don't think that's the case though. Turn it off, get fresh batteries, and try the update again.

Blah said:
Worst case scenario you'll have to buy a cradle ($50) and a straight-through parallel port cable for JTAG, and use that to reflash the bootloader. I don't think that's the case though. Turn it off, get fresh batteries, and try the update again.

Ja ill try that coz ive only been using half charged batteries and i have no power supply box thingy... well i do but it wont work with my 2x so recharge the batteries it is ;)
i hope i dont have to reload the bootloader coz i only just got this thing and i want to play payback again lol i luv that game!

Yeah, its my one of my favorites, too :)

Anyway, you don't need one of those 'official' power adapters, anything that outputs 3v DC center negative and fits will do. I got mine from Radioshack, and used it on my GP32 originally.

Blah said:
Yeah, its my one of my favorites, too :)

Anyway, you don't need one of those 'official' power adapters, anything that outputs 3v DC center negative and fits will do. I got mine from Radioshack, and used it on my GP32 originally.

will the 2x sh*t itself if you accidentally plug in an adaptor with reverse polarity?
i can change the polarity on mine :)

I've never done it (Thank God), but I've read that reversing the polarity will probably kill it. So be careful.

Blah said:
I've never done it (Thank God), but I've read that reversing the polarity will probably kill it. So be careful.

well last time i plugged mine into my 2x i had it on 3v 500mAh and the green light didnt turn on so i had a panic attack coz i read on another forum post that happened to somone else and it shat itself but i took the adaptor out and put batteries in and it worked fine :gp2x :)

trooper said:
You may not have bricked it, But don`t risk frying it. :huh:

3 volt, 1000 m/ah, Centre negative.

Trooper

ja there's no way in hell im gunna fry my 2x!
then i cant kick my friends psp's ass! lol he cant run any palm OS on his psp. :p

Quiest said:
The pixels are having a funky disco time! Let them have some fun too!
Unhelpful.

Anyways i just put fresh batteries in and held start+select with the FW 2.0.0 install on the sd card and it goes to the firmware upgrade screen and just stays there. forever. i have left it for a good 10-20 minutes and it didnt finish.

this is really not getting me anywhere atm. i need very lots of help!

Maybe the files you are using to upgrade with are corrupt. Or maybe there is something wrong with your SD card.

Blah said:
Maybe the files you are using to upgrade with are corrupt. Or maybe there is something wrong with your SD card.

Maybe they are... i put them on the sd using a mac so maybe thats got something to do with it and i cant format the card to FAT32 with my mac.
Ill try it with my mums computer.

Back