Ok So, How Many Pandoras Are Shipped To Customers?

I just saw this on the other forum. Perhaps it may help to shed a little bit of light?

Craigix said:
We're shipping another 100 units on Monday (was supposed to be tomorrow but the delivery was delayed to the UK).

This will push us past number 1000.

Remember that about 150 people from the first 1000 took units with 'issues' in one form or another which skews the queue quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
150 units 'with issues' out of 1000? That's not counting the ones returned (or pending return) for various problems.
I'm no mathematician, but that's far from the 1 or 2% 'failure' rate bandied about.

What if a batch 1er wants to be bumped to batch 2 for peace of mind?

Asmo, then I imagine it won't be hard to just contact who you purchased from and make the request to find out how do-able it is.

Asmo said:
150 units 'with issues' out of 1000? That's not counting the ones returned (or pending return) for various problems.
I'm no mathematician, but that's far from the 1 or 2% 'failure' rate bandied about.
Is that *units* with issues or customers with issues? I ask because sometimes it takes the OpenPandora crew multiple tries (I read that it took them 3 tries to deliver a non-faulty Pandora to someone on these boards) to replace a faulty unit with one that doesn't have 'issues.' (My replacement still has issues--Dodgy L button & nubs that don't seem to want to be properly calibrated; I'm holding out on sending it in again for a replacement until production speeds up, though part of me thinks that I'll never get a "non-faulty" unit if both this unit and the one before it passed the level of QC that OPT thinks is acceptable...)

EDIT: Though I do have to admit that this replacement unit isn't as bad as my first unit--WiFi seems to be stable now (albeit somewhat on the slow side) and now only one of my shoulder buttons works fine and doesn't have issues with travel distance/springy-ness. Of course my nubs are useless, but I guess that's where the touchscreen comes in...

Well, I still didn't get a pre-order email, or a mailing list email.

To me this extra 100 they have found only goes further to proving their misinformation - they had never shipped 1000 pandoras and still havent.

As well as that, they only took in 1000 cases total so far right?

Also Craig mentions that the list is skewed. I think it must be by a much greater degree than 150 though. Perhaps he means that 150 had case issues, resulting in there only being about 850 cases to make working pandoras with. Though I suspect the number must be somewhat higher than 150.

Basically, it seems impossible to have any idea of how many are shipped from what they are saying. The only real way to know is by the queue position of people that do have their units.

Maybe we should have some kind of party to mark 2 years since ordering?

EdCa22 said:
To me this extra 100 they have found only goes further to proving their misinformation - they had never shipped 1000 pandoras and still havent.
They never claimed they'd shipped 1000. We'll hear about it when they do, no doubt. And the latest 100 weren't just found, they're explained here (September 13th). It was supposed to be a batch of 500 from Texas.

EdCa22 said:
Maybe we should have some kind of party to mark 2 years since ordering?

Technically, I think, that would be called a riot.

Gruso said:
They never claimed they'd shipped 1000.

As many of you will already know the Pandora finally started
shipping in May and after a few teething problems we are about to ship
the 1000th unit. We aim to keep it at the top with near continuous software
tweaks and updates.

Okay, but this statement is misleading. People wont read it 100% literally... I mean, it's not as though I'm the only one that thinks this means they've shipped 1000:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/13/pandora_games/
http://technologizer.com/2010/09/13/pandora-open-source-gaming-handheld-selling-out/
http://www.techweet.com/2010/09/14/pandora-gaming-handheld-device-pre-order-is-back
http://www.connectionpros.com/search/OpenPandora
http://thecoolgadgets.com/pandora-handheld-gaming-console-linux-os/
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/15/pandora-handheld-consoles-sold-out-pandora-miniature-computer-now-sold-out-and-placed-on-pre-order-once-again/
http://www.sciencemagnews.com/pandora-linux-handheld-gaming-console-back-on-pre-order-after-sell-out.html
http://thinklaptops.net/2010/09/pandora-linux-handheld-gaming-device/

These are all news websites putting out the message that 1000 pandoras have been shipped, its what most people think when they read Craig's mail.

We'll hear about it when they do, no doubt. And the latest 100 weren't just found, they're explained here (September 13th). It was supposed to be a batch of 500 from Texas.

This doesn't appear to say anything specific about 100 new pandoras. My point is that they must have had 100 cases ready in order to send out another 100 units.

The news is so confusing, how can we keep track of all the numbers of all the different things; how many there are, where they are, how many are used in each batch and so how many are remaining, and the numbers change when things dont go as expected... it is difficult to take any Pandora news seriously any more.

Technically, I think, that would be called a riot.

:D Heh. Yes, you are probably right... thinking about it that would probably end quite badly. Hell, it would probably start quite badly. Perhaps next year. If everyone has their pandoras by then.

Edit: Less angry and more clear... good call XxionxX ... in retrospect, I shouldn't have posted while I was so pissed off. Hope I didn't offend anyone :unsure:

*wakes up at 7, goes to school, has 5 mins before class and decides to check the forums*

Hey look someone is asking about the status of the pandas. I'll just check and see whats happening, it's always nice to know what the current forum chat is. I don't feel like reading the whole thread, I think I'll just jump to the end.

EdCa22 said:
:angry: Giant wall of angry text. :angry:

:mellow: It's to early for this. I'm going to class, and then I will reply.

*Spanish class ensues, comes back to a computer*

I'm just gonna leave this here for you...

Edit: It's all good! No worries.

Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread, and sorry again if the answer is already there, but could anyone tell me how likely it is to get a Pandora before Christmas if you are number 3999?

There are about 12 weeks left, and more than 3000 Pandora to built, that's more than 250 Pandoras a week, is it realistic?

Thanks.

hal9000 said:
Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread, and sorry again if the answer is already there, but could anyone tell me how likely it is to get a Pandora before Christmas if you are number 3999?

There are about 12 weeks left, and more than 3000 Pandora to built, that's more than 250 Pandoras a week, is it realistic?

Thanks.

In a word...no. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is at all possible that the first batch will all be sent this year.

Heck I'm around 1500 and not expecting to get mine this year.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but no one else (even OPT as its out of their hands) will be able to give you a more reliable answer.

Almost every day for the last 18 months or so, if you had asked "what are the chances of receiving in the next 2 months?" the answer would have been "pretty good"
However, as you can see, they still haven't gotten them all out. Even 4 months after they started shipping, and they're only leaking out little at a time. This isn't any fault of OPT other than perhaps excessive optimism, but just an unfortunate string of things that they weren't really prepared for, including working with companies that can't keep their own deadlines.
If you're asking today about the odds of seeing it in the next 2 months, the answer is the same: pretty good. From what they've said, everything is in place so things should just start rolling off the assembly line. It's just a matter of getting the parts to where they need to be, and that appears to be taking longer than I think they anticipated, which is a shame.

Since it is somewhat related to this topic, what are we to make of this, from the other board:

DaMummy, on 26 September 2010 - 08:55 PM, said:
asking jacqueline about cracks and issues with hardware is pointless, were here for those questions, and the item you receive in 2nd batch is miles away and changes for the better are more then likely to happen

Actually I beg to differ, I dont think it was pointless - she replied today saying that the 2nd batch WON'T have the warpings or hairline crack issues that teh 1st batch did

http://boards.openpandora.org/index...stion-2nd-batch/page__view__findpost__p__5606

My eyebrow has yet to descend. Somebody is playing a dangerous game.

Asmo said:
Actually I beg to differ, I dont think it was pointless - she replied today saying that the 2nd batch WON'T have the warpings or hairline crack issues that teh 1st batch did

http://boards.openpandora.org/index...stion-2nd-batch/page__view__findpost__p__5606

It has been said that 10000 cases were ordered. If that was true then all those cases are the same. Since the hairline crack is a case defect, batch two will have the problem as well.

I think she is either misinformed or deceptively painting an overly positive picture.

I'm hoping she is simply misinformed, but could be as overly optimistic as Craig.

Caine said:
Asmo said:

It has been said that 10000 cases were ordered. If that was true then all those cases are the same. Since the hairline crack is a case defect, batch two will have the problem as well.

I think she is either misinformed or deceptively painting an overly positive picture.

My interpretation is that by "second batch", she really means batch 1.2 (batch 1.1 was the first 1000 cases, which had cracks). Of course, time will tell if that's actually the case, and if the case manufacturer actually painted (or rather didn't) paint the parts that they were supposed to. Kind of like how OPT told them not to paint the shoulder buttons last time, but they did, anyway.

It was a response to somebody looking to buy into batch 2, not a reassurance to somebody due to receive a unit soon.
An official comment on this would be... welcome.

Asmo said:
It was a response to somebody looking to buy into batch 2, not a reassurance to somebody due to receive a unit soon.

Sure, but my interpretation still stands. If the case issues were only going to plague batch 1.1, and batch 1.2 is fine, then batch 2.* will be fine, as well. Of course, that's still dependent on the latest 4000 cases not having any flaws. And I agree that an official comment would be appreciated.

benji_stein said:
Asmo said:

Sure, but my interpretation still stands. If the case issues were only going to plague batch 1.1, and batch 1.2 is fine, then batch 2.* will be fine, as well. Of course, that's still dependent on the latest 4000 cases not having any flaws. And I agree that an official comment would be appreciated.

Isn't the official board elsewhere these days?

Back