One video per day - Discussions

Show it running some videos, playing some music and viewing some pics.

I mean, showing which file formats are supported, with which resolution, how smooth it plays.

It's a very simple request - but it's also something quite critical for me

Audacious support over 200 audio files formats. That wil take some times to go through and won't fit within the 10mn youtube limit.

FFmpeg (the video codec all video players use, but some add even more like xbmc, vlc) support pretty much anything you through at it. The problem here is not the code but the power to run it.

I mean, showing which file formats are supported, with which resolution, how smooth it plays.
He'd have a better chance of telling you which formats aren't supported, there's probably a lot fewer of those.

edit: oh look, another page. Oops :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
But still, it's be interesting to know how much it can handle - i.e. can it display 720p downscaled in the most common codecs yet? Perhaps not a subject for a video, mind you.

But still, it's be interesting to know how much it can handle - i.e. can it display 720p downscaled in the most common codecs yet? Perhaps not a subject for a video, mind you.
What's a "common" codec? Pretty much everything but h264 seems to be alright. I even did some 720p DivX tests: ran hot, but still played, just need to set the video output correctly (I forget the details, but weird things happen when you try to play a video bigger than the screen sometimes)

(before any confusion sets in, "hot" means high CPU usage, not necessarily temperature)

What's a "common" codec? Pretty much everything but h264 seems to be alright. I even did some 720p DivX tests: ran hot, but still played, just need to set the video output correctly (I forget the details, but weird things happen when you try to play a video bigger than the screen sometimes)

(before any confusion sets in, "hot" means high CPU usage, not necessarily temperature)

Speaking of codecs, if you just copy files directly from a DVD onto an SD card or USB drive, could you play the video if the codec pack is installed? I would imagine that the codec pack is pre-installed on the upcoming shipments, as well as Hotfix 5 being released at that time. Whatever Hotfix 5 will contain is beyond myself, but hey, you never know. How secure is the Pandora? Does it have an antivirus/anti-spyware suite, including a firewall? If I walk into my local McDonalds which just received a Wi-Fi connection, I would hope my passwords for email and such wouldn't be intercepted.

Actually, security would be a great topic for an upcoming video.

I would imagine that the codec pack is pre-installed on the upcoming shipments

Actually I think the codec part will never be installed by default due to some country laws, licences and/or thing like that...

Ah yes, licensing laws, I hadn't thought of that when I asked.
A common problem on open source platforms which are distributed for free. For MP3 for example, the patents on the format expire from the time frame of 2007 up to 2017 (reference).

Since most parties behind free distributions cannot afford to pay the license fees for all their users, it is illegal in many countries to use such codecs unless you, as a user, pay those fees. So strictly speaking you're acting illegally when you install the codec pack to play an mp3 file. I don't think Open Pandora is very eager to pay these license fees so preinstalling the codecs is a no go.

You'll just have to break the law on your own ;)

<edit>reference copied from wikipedia</edit>

Does it have an antivirus/anti-spyware suite, including a firewall?
There are very few viruses for Linux to begin with. I don't think any exist for ARM Linux at all, spyware even less likely. In compliance with office security, however, I've been meaning to build ClamAV, but all it'll really do is prevent your Pandora from being a carrier of an infected file. No firewall though; shouldn't be a major problem if you trust what you're running, but maybe in the future someone will set one up.

Speaking of codecs, if you just copy files directly from a DVD onto an SD card or USB drive, could you play the video if the codec pack is installed?
Oh, and no you could not. DVDs are encrypted. You'd need to run it through some kind of DECSS program to remove the encryption and able to play them back on a PC. However, once that's done, it's no problem playing back the decrypted VOB files.

Dunno if it has been said, but the YouTube time limit is actually 15 minutes (still pretty mediocre, but eh). Thanks for the videos!

Oh, and no you could not. DVDs are encrypted. You'd need to run it through some kind of DECSS program to remove the encryption and able to play them back on a PC. However, once that's done, it's no problem playing back the decrypted VOB files.

Doesn't mplayer decrypt vob on the fly with libdecss installed ? building libdecss is _very_ easy...

Doesn't mplayer decrypt vob on the fly with libdecss installed ? building libdecss is _very_ easy...
I think we're talking about libdvdcss (http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html), and I have /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 installed and I dont remember installing it (I dont need it), so I think it comes with the codec pack.

EDIT: Yeah checked from the list that libdvdcss2_1.2.10-r1.5 is installed with the codec pack.

I think we're talking about libdvdcss (http://www.videolan..../libdvdcss.html), and I have /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 installed and I dont remember installing it (I dont need it), so I think it comes with the codec pack.

EDIT: Yeah checked from the list that libdvdcss2_1.2.10-r1.5 is installed with the codec pack.

Why do you need to correct me on each of my post today ? (kidding)

thanks ;)

I think we're talking about libdvdcss (http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html), and I have /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 installed and I dont remember installing it (I dont need it), so I think it comes with the codec pack.

ORLY? :blink:

Well well, that is very good to know :) I'll stop wasting my time then, thanks!

I have encountered some DVDs that do other weird things though. One did something to it's file structure such that my computer thought it contained sixty or so 1GB files (rather than the traditional 3-8). Needed a different program to handle that particular mess.

Why do you need to correct me on each of my post today ? (kidding)

thanks ;)
Do you refer to the battery info thing? I didnt even read your post (fully, just fast-browsed) before dropping that source code link - I just read the new topic notification and based on that thought to link to the xfce4 patch just in case if they want a code example (because I remembered looking all around for that). So it wasnt my intention to haunt you with fixes all day, sorry :p /OT

Just watched todays video, UAE(Amiga Emulator), is the Amiga 500 the only one that is supported? Not 1200 or 4000? I'd love to play some of them AGA games! :D

I've used UAE in WinXP and I remember it supporting the AGA chipset, but maybe that chipset havn't been ported to ARM yet?

Back