One week with the Pyra

So does that mean the touchscreen layer can still be replaced in case it's damaged? Those soft plastics tend to get some scratches by the stylus over a couple of years, my old DS lite looks horrible nowadays...
You've been very unlucky then, because I've used my styluses on all my Nintendo machines daily for years (my fave games have pretty much all required stylus input, eg Picross3D etc.) and I've never scratched a single screen with the official stylus. Perhaps your styluses were not official ones or you're really very heavy handed!

Im wondering if the screen can be mounted in a bit of dampening to make cracking it a less tangible turn of events once dropped?

Also im hyped about no touchscreen. I'll take colour accuracy, of any amount over the ability to monkey-arm my devices anyday.

How to upset my sensibilities on a deep level: touch any of my screens trying to show me something.
serveimage

Last edited:
Im wondering if the screen can be mounted in a bit of dampening to make cracking it a less tangible turn of events once dropped?
I've dropped my N900 quite a bit with nothing more than scratches (on the case, not the screen), so I hope the Pyra won't crack in such a scenario :(

I don't usually me-too, but since ED might be taking a tally, +1 on the no-touchscreen option, for the added clarity and color accuracy, and for the political statement about my hatred of touchscreens of any type.

And also for trolling my friends by running my X server with --dpi 96 on a 5" 720p screen and still being able to see because I have 20/15 vision. </brag>

Perhaps your styluses were not official ones or you're really very heavy handed!
Well... I was 12 and not the most pleasant kid :D
In the last couple of years I haven't really used resistive touchscreens (exept for my 3DS rarely, the short battery life just takes out most of the fun for me), so I probably just showed off how dumb I was 10 years ago. Fantastic.

But still, I'd really like to know if the top layer can be replaced by the user, even just to remove it completely. Or has that to be done more accurate than what can be expected by any normal user?

@erico : Yes, protective layers would work, but they often bring in more refractions and look horrible. If there's already a plastic layer on top, I don't see any reason to put another one on it.

Yes, never perfect, but a known solution. Even my supposed to be non-scratch galaxy note 2 got scratched 3rd month of use. One may use if one feels the need.

It's a resistive touchscreen so it needs to be flexible. No great apes can be invoked in its creation, unfortunately.
He means the last glass layer before the flexible part. So it won't crack. I think that's what he means anyway.

No, the touchscreen itself doesn't change, it's still a foil on top of a glass.
The only difference is that the glass will now sit directly on the LCD, without any air inbetween.

Being a microscopist I would recommend a layer of oil inbetween, to get the same refractive index as the glass, even less mismatch ;)

@EvilDragon : As the prototyping phase might be taking a little longer than expected, do you have any thoughts relating to the practicality / general worthiness of the suggestion made in this thread to improve the modularity & possibly add cooling options for Pyra?

@EvilDragon : As the prototyping phase might be taking a little longer than expected, do you have any thoughts relating to the practicality / general worthiness of the suggestion made in this thread to improve the modularity & possibly add cooling options for Pyra?

I've seen it, and will check it after the Pyra has been released (as it would need an additional mold or other tool to create the faceplate), and we don't have any kind of money left for such experiments right now.

It shouldn't be too hard, as you can easily create an inlay for the case mold that keeps plastic from flowing in there, so it might be a case upgrade, and I could easily offer case updates for about 20 EUR if someone is interested then.

But right now, we can't do any experiments, let's first release the device :)

Well, as long i can play my PSX, GBA DS, and Dreamcast Games whitout the fear the Pyra will melt my hands, then i think i will be fine whit the heatsink solution you will make..

Dit you tryd some Super Mario Land or Tetris yet ??

I never had scratches on the screen in both of my Pandoras... and I used the stylus a lot... I can't imagine how that stylus could be able to do persistent signs on the screen...
There may have some dirt or sand on the point of stylus, sometimes when I use stylus on NDS, I could feel it scratch on the touch screen, and then it left a track on it.

If it's dirty, better to clean it before the use... and I suppose that very few (resistive) touchscreens in the world can survive to the sand

Last edited:
If it's dirty, better to clean it before the use... and I suppose that very few (resistive) touchscreens in the world can survive to the sand
Yes, that is why I like capacitive touch screen, since the material is glass. It is not easy to notice if there have sand on the point of stylus, because it is not obviously dirty, I don't know where the sand came, and they are very very small, just a single grain of it, it ruin the touch screen.
ah……May be the reason is I am live in China, the air is dirty, there always have particulates floating in the air.

Back