Ooops. Broken Gp2x.

deepmenace

Website
Visit site
hey all,

am pretty annoyed with self right now.

had a b-b-q, used the gp2x to play music outside, had 4 pints of nice cool cider but retreated indoors when a quick rainstorm happened. i left a certain piece of hardware outside for the whole time.

i'm pretty sure it was turned off when the rain started and i've opened and dried all the parts.

that leads me to the other problem. while opening the thing up i knocked off a small black plastic cuboid thing with ( i think ) the number 1006 on it or something, looks like it was previously attached to the board.

so, there is little point in putting the thing back together as it's now missing a part.

is it worth sending a casualty like this off to someone? if so, who? ( i'm uk based )

If you're excess is low enough would it be worth claiming on insurance???? I think mine is £100 so it wouldnt be worth bothering with....unless the gp2x hit the tv and caused a massive explosion, or something stupid. Mind you with the state of things it could be an eternity before that was settled.

You still have the knocked-off component? I seem to remember that the earlier models had some component that was liable to kinda fall off, and that people had sucessfully soldered them back on, and that they talked about it on these forums, but it was some time ago.

Apart from that, water in itself, as long as it is clean water (i.e. not full of sugar and acid, like if you spill Pepsi into the machine) shouldn't damage anything much, as long as you let it dry out properly before trying to start it up again.

hmm, ok. i've still got the little part yep.

might try and borrow a little solderer off a mate and try that then....scary :eek:

it's proper dry now and it was only rain water....hopefully not too much acid in there!

deepmenace said:
hmm, ok. i've still got the little part yep.

might try and borrow a little solderer off a mate and try that then....scary :eek:

it's proper dry now and it was only rain water....hopefully not too much acid in there!
Does it have a 3.5 mm jack socket? If that is the case, it sounds like the audio jack for headphones has come off (common on mk1 machines). Fairly easy to solder back on but not necessary unless you want to use headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either solder it back on or source a replacement, 1006 is a sm resistor I think.

It shouldnt be too hard to get a repair shop to do it if you cant.

Good luck.

try switching it on and see if your gp2x still functions... or might this not be a good idea considering a resistor has come off?

If it's the capacitor I think (the one that usually sits about in the middle, about 1 or 2 cm above the area where the batteries would be), it's fallen off with about 30% of all gp2x I fixed, and I have no idea why it's there.
My gp2x works flawlessly for over a year without it.

Has the gp2x dried already?
What happens if you put in batteries and turn it on?
Completely flat? (incl. the battery LED)? Or is there any sign of life?

Back