Open... and close... and open...

Two interessting facts in one tweet. First, maximum cpu frequency(full speed) is now 1 Ghz and not 1.5 Ghz. Second, without heatsink it is not possible to operate at full cpu load even at 1 Ghz, because thermal throtteling will kick in.

Summarized, a propper heatsink has to be developed, tested and produced wich means additional 6 month.

The photo is made by someone else then ED and maybe that Pyra doesn't have the fix to run 1,5GHz?

ED already discussed the option of active cooling on top of the heat spreaders.
Thermal throttle levels are configurable I think, so you could set it to 65 if the CPU doesn't become hotter, but you would not want your device to become very hot.
Good news is that they are making progress on getting the CPU temperature under control.

I don't think that guy was really serious.

If ED posts: I feel like a million bucks this fine morning!

He would respond: ZOMG ED going to take a million bucks from preorderers because he feels like it!

Pretty funny troll, but nothing new

Two interessting facts in one tweet. First, maximum cpu frequency(full speed) is now 1 Ghz and not 1.5 Ghz.

Who says that? We have it limited right now as we're working on the 4GB RAM. While 1.5GHz has been tested (hns even ran it at 1.7Ghz), it's safer for debugging the 4GB RAM issue to keep it at a speed which is known to work 100% stable.
Once the memory has been optimized as good as possible, the limit will be removed.

CPU speed and memory influence each other on the PCB here, so if it's set to 1.5GHz and something freezes, it could both be the memory or the CPU.

With 1GHz, we know for sure it's the memory, which makes debugging a LOT easier.

No one said anything about a final 1GHz speed (except yourself)

Second, without heatsink it is not possible to operate at full cpu load even at 1 Ghz, because thermal throtteling will kick in.

Says who?
The throttle speed is currently set at 120C, and wd didn't even get close to that.

But yes, at some time, the CPU needs to throttle, same as your smartphone CPU or any other modern ARM SoCs.
They're designed to run with incredible speed - but only for a short period of time. They will start to throttle if you do that for a few minutes.

This gives the advantage that you can have short peaks of high CPU usage (i.e. rendering a website is a lot faster).
But they NEVER will work without throttling (or active cooling) at full power for a longer periods of time.

The Pyra is no miracle, so yes, it is also bound by physics as any other device out there.

Summarized, a propper heatsink has to be developed, tested and produced wich means additional 6 month.

You are aware that this heatsink has been installed today (which was the reason for the tweet) and there's not really.much to test there? If it cools the CPU, it works.

So not sure why you're trying to troll here... But afair, you've done that a few times here already.

EDIT: Small correction: I browsed through all your posts and you never did anything else ;)

Two interessting facts in one tweet. First, maximum cpu frequency(full speed) is now 1 Ghz and not 1.5 Ghz. Second, without heatsink it is not possible to operate at full cpu load even at 1 Ghz, because thermal throtteling will kick in.

1ghz is due to the unoptimized Dev board

@EvilDragon & Co

I work for a very good and large plastics manufacturer, and would love to help make the Pyra cases. We have lots of injection molding machines and we do designs. I work there 5 days a week and would be operating the machine making Pyra cases myself 8 hours a day and would love to provide daily status reports.

I sent you a PM with details if you are interested.

summary translation is:
After showing the "Factor 5" stand and the classic consoles sitting and gaming area, it´s the Pyra of ptitSeb (with its cooler now cooler than the GPD Win) playing Yabause, and the Pyra of Askarus, screen can be turned down at night now to 100% black dark. Hardware well assembled and Askarus and ptitSeb "industriously" compiling the desktop software and programs :)
The two Pyras look great!

Last edited:
O those of many tongues! Pity us poor monoglots, for we are feeble and have no clue what this dragon is talking about!
Ok, I pity you guys :p
Perhaps, it is time to pick up learning another language? Learning new languages is fun.

That said, the automatic subtitles are not as horrible as they used to be. It completely screws up whenever ED starts to mention console or game names though.

The automatic translation constantly kept using the term "girl" everywhere so the most understandable phrase was like "Is appreciated the nature way of the girl" ... o_O

For some reason I missed this but Nikolaus got 4.12.rc6 working on the Pandora and Pyra:
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2017-June/007404.html

Nice photo of the devices together.
pandora_pyra_gta04.jpg

Just been watching this (posted yesterday) - at around 1:23 minutes in to the video ED is talking about the Pyra:

I have no idea what he's saying, but it still makes me excited :)

I was thinking my English was too bad to understand his deep Germanic accent when speaking English. Now I feel relieved after knowing he was really speaking in German.

Just joking.

I see a lot of typical reflections from resistive panel. It is something I was expecting (as all resistive displays I have seen have them), but even so it is really anooying.

I ask myself if it would be better to go with a capacitive panel instead of reflective. Capacitive panel is standard in industry for this type of displays so it is easier to get, and it will be integrated in most future displays of f this type (not an add-on but really inside display panel).

I know an excuse to choose resistive display over capacitive was high precision, but today there are capacitive displays with pens with high precision (for example S-Pen from Samsung).

Other option was IR sensors around border, but this is more expensive and complicated.

I was thinking my English was too bad to understand his deep Germanic accent when speaking English. Now I feel relieved after knowing he was really speaking in German.

I ask myself if it would be better to go with a capacitive panel instead of reflective. Capacitive panel is standard in industry for this type of displays so it is easier to get, and it will be integrated in most future displays of f this type (not an add-on but really inside display panel).

I know an excuse to choose resistive display over capacitive was high precision, but today there are capacitive displays with pens with high precision (for example S-Pen from Samsung).

Other option was IR sensors around border, but this is more expensive and complicated.

Another example of compromise, it seems.

I have a question to You and all the other forum-goers better informed in the hardware component market:

Let's imagine we have are pyras, a couple years pass, capacitative technology reaches new heights, while prices miraculously go lower. Hypothetically, will some willing users be able to replace the "stock" pyra resistive screen/panel with a capacitative one (saving the software-related trouble and calibration, for later)?

I am guessing panels from these technologies they may differ in thickness, i/o wiring that will need to reach the PCB's... But is the form factor simillar enough that we can assume a screen of the correct size will be easily available on the market, and would the replacement be viable?

Hardly a dealbraker, however having the capacity to upgrade not only the PCB's, but also the touchscreen, would be interesting (and would prove one of those things I am happy to have but do not need, ever)

The very reason for the resistive touchscreen is that a majority would not consider a capacitive screen an upgrade, it did not get a capacitive screen because people didn't want it.

It is not even a part of the screen but a separate layer glued on top of it.

Back